IGNORED

High Quality Controller Extension Cable?

Rick Dangerous

So I bought some 2600 controller extension cables from Amazon or Ebay or somewhere a while back and they worked for a while but are generally terrible.

They form a loose connection so unless you plug them in just right (or move during gameplay) then all of a sudden you can go right but not left playing River Raid. Also if you attach them wrong you will push individual pins in and have to pull them out with a set of tweezers.

I'm playing a lot more 2600 these days and i'm looking for a permanent solution. Anyone know someone who sells high quality extension cables that last?

We sell a 6 foot DB9 extension cable as well. Our primary reason for buying/stocking these things is to lop off the heads and turn them intro controller cords. In my observation:

1. Whatever the brand name, they all come from one of two factories in China

2. The actual conductors in each of the nine internal wires are ridiculously small, so with some of them there is enough line loss as to screw up performance if you connect two in a row.

3. Quality is all over the place. We bought a case of 300 last year from one factory for the Coleco project and at least one conductor has been a fail in probably half of the 300. So not only do you have to take the time to test every pin in every cable, half of them were $ down the drain. :-(

Anyhow, here is ours:

http://edladdin.com/Game-Controller-Extension-Cord-ec-3-001.htm

I had been thinking about getting some extension cables, but I've found it much easier to just keep the 2600 within reach, at least for player 1. I mean, you have to hit select, reset and power anyway. The second player might find an extension to be useful though, if they don't want to sit near you for some reason.. If cable quality is an issue, which it seems to be, it might be easier to make your own cables, if you can solder and don't mind them looking a little odd. Of course, I'd rather have nice looking cables, but function beats looks, most of the time. :)

Random thought of the night- I spend WAY too much time on the forums. :-D

• Like 1

I use the retro bit genesis extension cable for my atari and its given me no problems, if you've only been searching "2600 extension" you might have missed them.

Same here. The Genesis ones are way cheaper than 2600 and work just as well. I scored a two-pack from Nintendo Player's Choice on eBay for $9.85 total. Looks like the current price is $10.95...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/380817415947

I've kept one plugged into the left controller port constantly, not cause I need a longer cord but just to avoid wear on the console and also have a bit more accessible port for swapping controllers. .. Eventually I'll have it lead instead to an old db9 switch box with four ports, and never unplug it again.

Mine was the Genesis one I got with my AtariVox+ (for Vectrex) when it was sold by thegoldenaxe. I've never had a problem with it.

I got some bitd when I was making arcade sticks, but the molded ones quickly disappeared, now all I find are the computer ones, work fine, tend to be good quality, I just don't like the screws on the sides.

(Edit)

What the above dude said though, get a longer TV cable, its a plug in rca cable, or you could get an f adapter and however many feet of coax you need.

Edited by Video

• 3 years later...
On 8/19/2017 at 10:44 PM, 0078265317 said:

Or you don't need extension cables. Just get a phono female/female coupler and couple it with a long rca cord to hook up to the tv. And a long power extension cord. Then keep the console next to you. And then the built in controller cord without any extension is long enough. And no need for extensions.

You're making assumptions about what people would need an extension cable for.  There is more than one reason.  Just because you don't see a need for it is no reason state your opinion as fact.