IGNORED

Newbie cassette question

Nateo

Hey TI-heads; I just picked up my first TI 99/4a and I'm having some trouble loading cassette software. I've downloaded some .wavs and have tried to play them from my phone into the machine with the white cable plugged into the earphone. I've tried everything I can to load programs, tinkered with volume, fiddled with the equalizer, and tried a number of different programs. Nothing loads. I even turned my phone all the way up and was able to hear the signal through my TV! Nothing. Any idea as to what could be wrong? Thanks all!

Hey TI-heads; I just picked up my first TI 99/4a and I'm having some trouble loading cassette software. I've downloaded some .wavs and have tried to play them from my phone into the machine with the white cable plugged into the earphone. I've tried everything I can to load programs, tinkered with volume, fiddled with the equalizer, and tried a number of different programs. Nothing loads. I even turned my phone all the way up and was able to hear the signal through my TV! Nothing. Any idea as to what could be wrong? Thanks all!

There was some traction on this a while back. you can read it in the below thread. It may offer some insight.

HERE

The tone needs to be pretty high. The computer is looking for a signal of about 1 volt A/C. It's possible the phone doesn't have enough audio out. What error message comes up?

Just that no data was found. I thought that maybe there was something wrong with the cable, but when I turned the volume all the way up, I could hear the .wav file coming through the TV.

Do you have Extended Basic?

If so, games by Millers Graphics (MG) are good. So are Moonbeam. Bunch of others as well.

No extended BASIC I'm afraid... just a plain ol' TI-99/4A, a D60 tape, and a shoebox tape recorder. Oh, and those wretched joysticks.

The cassette on the TI really does suffer from only being able to load TI-Basic and XB software (that I know of anyway)

Although it used to take forever on an Atari 800 to load, let's say, Jumpman from cassette (and miss-loads were frustratingly common), at least you could purchase many non-Basic commercial titles on cassette. (I assume the same was true of the C64?)

With the 4A I bought my first "datasette" nearly exclusively so I could save/load programs I wrote or typed-in from magazine listings before I could afford a PEB, but with the Atari, it was often simply an alternative distribution method to cartridge software for systems without drives.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Yes, you could load binary programs into a Commodore machine from the cassette and then execute them with a SYS command if they didn't autostart. I think the big problem is, in order to use anything other than BASIC on a TI, you needed the 32K memory expansion. TI BASIC by itself was not able to use it, so you'd need Extended BASIC, Mini Memory or Editor/Assembler. By the time you had all those things, you'd probably have a disk drive as well. I don't believe the Editor/Assembler would let you save object code to CS1 (though I admit I've never tried to do that).

Even further, you can't do a CALL LOAD("CS1") with Editor/Assembler or Mini Memory (both produce errors, strangely, different ones), but oddly, you can with Extended BASIC.

Nowadays, I could see someone making use of a 32K and a cassette and not having all the other peripherals because it would be fairly inexpensive to get those.

Now that I wrote all this - I think you could do some assembly on cassette with Mini Memory, using the line by line assembler to load code, and then saving it to cassette with Easy Bug and then reloading it that way later. It still wouldn't be done via BASIC, but you could load in assembly language programs I think from cassette and then run it via Mini Memory.

This is how I started with my TI99/4A, Extended Basic, few games Carts, Mini Memory and 2 Cassette Recorders.

Very quickly I had a P-Box, CorComp Disk Controller, CorComp RAMDISK, GRAMULATOR and was running TELCO to BBS sites.

• 2 months later...

Have any of you tried this? I can't get it to work in Safari for some reason; will need to try either Chrome or Firefox:

http://nivelleringslikaren.eu/ti994a_basic/

The upload button expects you to select a ti fiad.

I tried to upload a text file with basic code and it did not take it.

The download button will take what ever text is in the editor and save it as basic.bin

Interestingly, if you have a *.titape file from win99/4a simulator with a basic / xb program saved to it, you can upload that file and it will list it.

There also seems to be a limit of 64kb upload file size.

Edited by ramidavis

Hi Nateo! As Acadiel said, you can try my web page from a computer:

http://nivelleringslikaren.eu/ti994a_basic/

Just press "Play Tape" and OLD CS1 on the TI. (Firefox or Chrome works)

A Computer might be able to raise the volume higher than your phone. When the

volume is enough, the beeps through the TV speaker when starting the TI should

sound approx the same volume as the tape sounds through the TV speaker.

You can find basic programs in TIFILES format that you upload into the webpage

and then send to the TI through the audio cable. If you find a disk with basic programs

you can extract the TIFILE from the disk image using for example the mame tool "imgtool".