• 164 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:09 AM

Still makes no sense

#27 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,440 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:55 AM

There was a rather..curious comment..well..rant really. .posted on YT i stumbled across by accident a few months ago...by a certain ex-poster on here.

He launched into an attack on Rebellion for apparently not pushing the Jaguar hard enough in terms of 3D performance with Skyhammer.

Once i had stopped laughing..i politely pointed out that i was sure he was aware the lead 3D coder on the project had quit company before game was finished..had to be called back to assist as it was..and politely asked if the angry gentlemen could perhaps point me in the direction of a commercial or home brew Jaguar game that matched or surpassed what Rebellion had achieved. .

I still await any examples to be shown.

I personally think it is up there as 1 of the best commercial titles that show what could be done on Jaguar and it is the type of game the system needed rather than Mario Kart or M.K clones..to set itself apart from the 16 bit systems..even if it's not everything it could be..game play wise .

Edited by Lost Dragon, Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:56 AM.

#28 MightyFrog OFFLINE  

MightyFrog

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:15 AM

There's much more to Skyhammer than Hover Strike. It's a fun game to explore and if it ran smoother later into it it'd be among my absolute favorites on the console. As it is it's still pretty far up there for me but the comments to save often are definitely spot on.

#29 Major Havoc 2049 OFFLINE  

Major Havoc 2049

Dragonstomper

• 861 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:48 AM

Haha, ok. It's hard for me to take your semantic outrage seriously... since we're talking about video games, and I'm a 39 year old grown man.

But, yes... obviously the Jaguar is a system. I consider the Jaguar games to be in the same genre as other odd/orphaned systems of the time like the 3DO, CD-32, etc. More specifically, games that have been ported from computers, but largely from Amiga or Atari ST type systems. Compared to Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo, those systems were more well known for their platform specific games. 

The games that were Jaguar specific, were usually games that followed the old "Atari" model... IE: beat your high score. Defender 2000, Tempest, Breakout 2000, Missile Command, etc.

But Skyhammer doesn't really follow the old school Atari arcade update model. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt earlier on the whole "genre" thing and thought you meant the open world, mission based, 3D shooters/sims that are popular on the Jag, such as the Morph series, Iron Soldier series, Hover Strike series and I-War.

#30 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,440 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:28 AM

I've always viewed Skyhammer as the Jaguar's answer to ST and Amiga The Killing Cloud..

And it's the middle ground game between Killing Cloud and G-police.

#31 UHATEIT OFFLINE  

UHATEIT

Star Raider

• 71 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:04 PM

Uh... no. Just, no.

in reference to Skyhammer? no way!

Yes... Just, YES!

#32 82-T/A OFFLINE  

82-T/A

River Patroller

• 3,361 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:53 PM

3DO games were Amiga and ST ports?

No... Jaguar games were. 3DO had a lot of PC ports. Star Control 2, Wing Commander 3, etc. 

But what I really meant (trying to not get you guys more worked up and insulted)... was the Jaguar had a bunch of games most other systems could have cared less for.

So if you like those games... the Jaguar is for you!

(and I do like those games)

It's like he really doesn't know what the word "genre" means, but he's determined to use it anyway.

Genre simply means a category of something... IE: a particular style of something. It was well within it's proper use.

#33 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,440 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 PM

3DO had:Syndicate..Cannon Fodder..Lemmings..Soccer Kid..Flashback etc...

Amiga ports are they not?

Edited by Lost Dragon, Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:19 PM.

#34 LianneJaguar64 OFFLINE  

LianneJaguar64

Moonsweeper

• 388 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:12 AM

3DO games were Amiga and ST ports?

A lot of these were games that were hits on the computer and branched out to other systems, I can't think of any that were ported exclusively to 3DO. Usually it was games like Cannon Fodder or Sensible Soccer, big sellers on Amiga and, to a lesser degree, ST, in Europe from European developers, that moved out to other platforms, to limited success (in most cases)

#35 LianneJaguar64 OFFLINE  

LianneJaguar64

Moonsweeper

• 388 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:17 AM

I've always viewed Skyhammer as the Jaguar's answer to ST and Amiga The Killing Cloud..

And it's the middle ground game between Killing Cloud and G-police.

Ehhhh... The Killing Ground is pretty mediocre, and not a patch on Skyhammer... Did G-Police come out before or after Skyhammer? Either way G-Police is obviously graphically superior, but I'm not sure if I like it more than Skyhammer... And I feel that Skyhammer has more scope, vertically at least, than G-Police

Now Battlesphere vs Colony Wars, there's a Jaguar vs. PSX debate XD

Edited by LianneJaguar64, Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:19 AM.

#36 Sputnik2600 OFFLINE  

Sputnik2600

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 18 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:58 AM

Ehhhh... The Killing Ground is pretty mediocre, and not a patch on Skyhammer... Did G-Police come out before or after Skyhammer? Either way G-Police is obviously graphically superior, but I'm not sure if I like it more than Skyhammer... And I feel that Skyhammer has more scope, vertically at least, than G-Police

Oh man I almost forgot Colony Wars & G-Police!  Both were awesome PSX games.  I can't believe I forgot about those two considering how much time I spent playing them back in the day.

#37 LianneJaguar64 OFFLINE  

LianneJaguar64

Moonsweeper

• 388 posts

Posted Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:17 PM

Oh man I almost forgot Colony Wars & G-Police!  Both were awesome PSX games.  I can't believe I forgot about those two considering how much time I spent playing them back in the day.

G-Police is ok, but I love the Colony Wars Trilogy, especially Red Sun, easily my favourite XD

#38 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,440 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:48 AM

You mean The Killing Cloud :-)

Which pulled in scores of 92% Raze

88% The One

87% Zero

86 Zzap

So pretty rave scores from UK press at the time.

Hardly medicore for it's time..

My only criticism of it was Vektor Grafix having to cut the prisoner integration sequence..

As for Colony Wars..loved the 1st game, second was the pinnacle and found the 3rd the most technically impressive but least fun to play.

It's regarded by many as the weakest in the series.

Can't really count Blast Radius as that used the game engine for a very different type of game.

#39 LianneJaguar64 OFFLINE  

LianneJaguar64

Moonsweeper

• 388 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:04 AM

You mean The Killing Cloud :-)

Which pulled in scores of 92% Raze

88% The One

87% Zero

86 Zzap

So pretty rave scores from UK press at the time.

Hardly medicore for it's time..

My only criticism of it was Vektor Grafix having to cut the prisoner integration sequence..

As for Colony Wars..loved the 1st game, second was the pinnacle and found the 3rd the most technically impressive but least fun to play.

It's regarded by many as the weakest in the series.

Can't really count Blast Radius as that used the game engine for a very different type of game.

Haha yeah, the Killing Cloud, thta's what I meant :P Unless we want to talk about Alien Breed 3D II? Yeah I've heard a few people talk about how good this game is, but I just couldn't get on with I played it... It's not the most spectacular thing I've seen on Amiga (Elite II?), and, to me at least, wasn't that fun to play. It's just my opinion of course, but ehhh... Obviously it's objectively harder for me to look at the game as if it was new to me, because I wasn't born yet :P It's impressive for 1991, make no mistake, it's just I don't think it's aged all that well. That and it's all in the same colour, doesn't look all that appealing, I prefer the 3D abilities in, say, Microprose GP

Edited by LianneJaguar64, Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:06 AM.

#40 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,440 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:13 AM

We could talk about the Alien Breed 3D games..:-)

Ambitious in what they attempted to do, but you really needed an accelerated Amiga to get them near playable.

Edited by Lost Dragon, Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 AM.

#41 Swansea_Mariner OFFLINE  

Swansea_Mariner

Chopper Commander

• 164 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 AM

I loved the Alien Breed 2D games, my favourite ever, I wish they had been ported to the Jag.

#42 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,440 posts

Posted Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:54 PM

I loved the Alien Breed 2D games, my favourite ever, I wish they had been ported to the Jag.

Inspired by Gauntlet,Paradroid and Laser Squad,the Alien Breed 2D games were incredible.

Didn't go much onthe PS3/360 REBOOTED games,but did pick up the original on PSN.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users