IGNORED

Homebrews vs the original 59

Cousin Vinnie

If it isn't it's very close. Only games from the retail set that have a chance in my personal top ten would be:

Commando

Ikari Warriors

Fatal Run

Alien Brigade

Double Dragon

Rampage

Mario Bros.

Donkey Kong Jr.

Asteroids

Centipede

Although the argument might be made to include a couple of those in any top 10, when they are measured against the modern homebrews or some of the unreleased protos, even the best of the 7800 retail titles start falling off the list pretty quick.

Everyone seems to be forgetting -- again -- Plutos in consideration as a 'classic' 7800 title. Am I the only one who plays this and Sirius? I know that they're protos, but they really show the potential of the 7800 to compete with '90s gaming trends. Those two are certainly the equal of the modern Homebrew efforts.

Also can't leave Beefdrop off the list of stellar homebrews. It's my favourite port of Burgertime for any system.

• Like 1

Everyone seems to be forgetting -- again -- Plutos in consideration as a 'classic' 7800 title. Am I the only one who plays this and Sirius? I know that they're protos, but they really show the potential of the 7800 to compete with '90s gaming trends. Those two are certainly the equal of the modern Homebrew efforts.

Also can't leave Beefdrop off the list of stellar homebrews. It's my favourite port of Burgertime for any system.

Good points about Sirius and Plutos, a couple of overlooked gems for sure.

Re: Burgertime, have you not played it for the Intellivision or TI-99/4A? Two of my favorite ports. Beef Drop is excellent, but has minor issues when it comes to how many baddies you can stack on something before dropping. As if you're not fully across when it drops. Either that or Peter Pepper's too fat. lol Still, love the game of course. :love:

• Like 1

Good points about Sirius and Plutos, a couple of overlooked gems for sure.

Re: Burgertime, have you not played it for the Intellivision or TI-99/4A? Two of my favorite ports. Beef Drop is excellent, but has minor issues when it comes to how many baddies you can stack on something before dropping. As if you're not fully across when it drops. Either that or Peter Pepper's too fat. lol Still, love the game of course. :love:

Yes, I should've clarified my comment with the qualifier 'that I've played'. I don't have an INTV or TI and have never played their ports. I actually haven't seen a TI 99 4/A anywhere since I played around on a friend's unit in 1984. They don't seem to have sold well at all in Alberta.

I loved Plutos. Sirius is technically impressive, but so damn hard.

The same thing that significant impacts Plutos and Sirius for the worse is the same item that hurts Planet Smashers greatly...The lack of any background melody. Though the latter suffers from other issues too.

Granted, "Nintendo port" sound grating would make matters worse; nevertheless, Plutos and Sirius are almost indisputably in need of being finished games - Commando style. ;-)