IGNORED

MIDI Interface

ivop

Due to having a lot of things outside of working on Atari stuff at the moment, things have slowed down a bit, but I am committed to do at least one run this year. I am currently completely overhauling my enclosure design, similar to what I did to my snes2joy housing. It's a lot more sturdy now. I used to be able to bend the sides inwards, but that's solved now. Especially for an enclosure more than twice the size of the snes2joy, that's very important to me. As for the cost, depending on the interest, PCB+parts will probably around €15,=. Enclosure, SIO cable, Dream Blaster Board, assembly by me, will add to the cost. As for postage and packaging, if it stays under 350g I can send it for €10,= worldwide. With an enclosure, the dimensions will exceed that postal option and I have to move to a full blown package, which will be around €15,= for Europe and €25,= for most of the rest of the world.

Also, I'll probably do a run of snes2joy first, to test managing a larger project than I have ever done before, hobbywise. So, first there's Chinese New Year and Atari Invasion 2k18 which I have to prepare for. After that, I'll start a pre-order thread.

• Like 4

Hope you have a demo model working at Atari Invasion ?

Yes, that's the planning. Hopefully with a finished enclosure :) But if by change that won't happen, I will certainly bring a working prototype!

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

Just a thought, but what's the processing overhead for playing midi sound ?

I was wondering whether putting a cheap microcontroller on-board would be worth it ? The idea being that you could then reduce it to a command-based interface over SIO:

- load midi data into the micro's RAM

- start playing from location X in RAM, optionally looping after Y bytes of data

- stop playing

You could even introduce a 'command buffer', so you send the midi data, then you send a series of commands - it's like ANTIC for audio with an 'Audio List' rather than a 'Display List'. Each command could then be something like:

- move to position X in midi data

- play Y bytes/notes

- stop playing

- jump to position X in command-data (to allow infinite loops)

(if you want to get really fancy, you could introduce loops and variables, but maybe that's pushing it).

Combine the command approach with the command-buffer and you have the ability to easily switch (stop playing, start processing buffer at $XXXX) between a whole bunch of MIDI tunes without putting essentially any load on the CPU. Ideal for games.

To put this into perspective, an STM32F4 in a 64-pin LQFP (so not too hard to solder) with 256k of Flash (program space) and 128K of RAM (midi data space) is $6.58 in quantity-1. It has 5v-tolerant pins so it's easy to interface to an A8.

You could easily keep the current mode of operation as well - the STM has 3 USARTs so it can easily be switched into a transparent mode where any data incoming on port A can be output on port B and vice versa. Or you could set it up to buffer incoming data so the A8 could read it without any danger of dropping bytes.

IMHO, offloading the sound would really benefit the machine, and it fits in with the ethos of the original machine too - like I say, it's basically ANTIC for audio.

Edited by Spaced Cowboy
  • Like 2

@Spaced Cowboy, that's indeed a good idea and something similar was already proposed by Irgendwer, earlier in this thread. To not further complicate this board, it was more or less decided to move such functionality to a future expansion board, which can be attached to the Wave Blaster port.

Wish I could be there :(

That would have been nice, especially if you could bring a 1088XEL to demo ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Brentarian,

Due to illness, things are dragging along a little. I have designed a new enclosure with chassis mount DIN5 connectors, which looks much better than the previous enclosure (as seen in the Atari Invasion 2k18 video's and photo's). Other than that, it's pretty much finished, hardware-wise. Not sure when I start a pre-order thread though, as the whole project of making 20+ devices is a little hard for me to oversee right now. But the project is definitely not canned and I hope continue soon.

Regards,

Ivo

• Like 4

Hi Brentarian,

Due to illness, things are dragging along a little. I have designed a new enclosure with chassis mount DIN5 connectors, which looks much better than the previous enclosure (as seen in the Atari Invasion 2k18 video's and photo's). Other than that, it's pretty much finished, hardware-wise. Not sure when I start a pre-order thread though, as the whole project of making 20+ devices is a little hard for me to oversee right now. But the project is definitely not canned and I hope continue soon.

Regards,

Ivo

I hear you on the illness :( . 2018 started out very bad for me, but knock on wood, the last 2 weeks have been good :) . i hope you are feeling better now as well.

• 5 months later...

Hello Michael

On the first page of this thread, Ivo mentioned:

MIDIPlay v1.3 by Ireneusz Kuczek
MIDIRec v1.2 by Ireneusz Kuczek
MIDI PatternEditor MPE v.2.3 by Radek Sterba
MIDI Sequencer 1.15 by Maciej Sygit

The software shown in the video is probably the first one mentioned. I have a link to Ireneusz site on my Special Stuf Page, but I just checked it and the site seems to have vanished.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

Hello guys

BTW the video was shot at the JHV/General Assembly of the ABBUC last year. In the first 10 seconds you see three people: (left to right) Sleepy (who organizes the Hardware Contest), StefanD and CharlieChaplin.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

Question: On that last file "MIDI Pattern Editor 2.3.xfd.xex", what does your note <<----- Revome .xex signify?

Never mind, I get it :dunce: Remove the ".xex" from the end so that it's now "MIDI Pattern Editor 2.3.xfd"

• Like 2

BTW the video was shot at the JHV/General Assembly of the ABBUC last year. In the first 10 seconds you see three people: (left to right) Sleepy (who organizes the Hardware Contest), StefanD and CharlieChaplin.

And my hands ;) It's indeed MIDIPlay v1.3. I was told there's a v1.4, but I was never able to find it. Note that this piece of software is not specifically written for MIDI Mate compatible devices, i.e. those with an external 31250 baud clock, and hence doesn't use clock-in. My midimon utility uses a handler that does use clock-in (see github repo).
  • Like 2

And my hands ;) It's indeed MIDIPlay v1.3. I was told there's a v1.4, but I was never able to find it. Note that this piece of software is not specifically written for MIDI Mate compatible devices, i.e. those with an external 31250 baud clock, and hence doesn't use clock-in. My midimon utility uses a handler that does use clock-in (see github repo).

So what specifically is the difference, as in the downside of it not requiring a clock-in signal?

• 4 months later...

Currently, this project is on hold. All the design files are on github (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/282082-midi-muse-midi-interface-design-documents-on-github/)

Mytek took this as a basis for the MIDI interface for the 1088XLD (on board) and 1088XEL (add-on board). The 1088XEL thread has all the information (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261147-1088xel-alternative-mother-board-project/page-53?do=findComment&comment=4134039)

Eventually, the add-on board + the DIN connector board will be turned into MIDI Muse Rev. D. It's easier to build (less components) and fixes a bug in the Rev. C design by leaving the WB daughterboard powered on, even if the device is not on the SIO bus.

@sleepy. I made the mytek 1088xel midi addon board, it's great!

I have a spare I made which I'm happy to send to you if you want it. Just add the Dreamblaster S2.

I don't have the DIN board, there wasn't room in my case for it so I didn't get the boards made. You'll need to get that if you want to play Midimaze.

• Like 1

That sounds very interesting! - Yes, I´m interested in your pcb.:-)

I didn´t saw the mytek-midi-board until yet... if it fits to the XEL it´s ideal, of course.

If I understand right, a complete set consists of three pcbs:

post-18285-0-94611300-1547225692_thumb.png

a) the interface board holding the DIN-jacks

b) the controler board and

c) the "wave"-board

a + b I need for Midimaze, if I want to play MIDI-files without a keyboard or s.th. else, I also need c.

So you have a controller-board leftover, the interface-board I have to get from somewhere else, right?

Where can I get the other boards? I can´t find them at atari bit´s 1088XEL-site, the only thing I found is the interface-pcb on OSH Park.

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

Yes all of that is correct.

I got my controller boards made at oshpark, I don't think anyone has stepped up to make them so you'd have to get them made yourself. You can download the gerbers from the download link on oshpark if you can get them made cheaper locally.

pm me your address and ill put the spare controller board in the mail to you.

Where can I get the other boards? I can´t find them at atari bit´s 1088XEL-site, the only thing I found is the interface-pcb on OSH Park.

And you won't find them there anytime soon :-D .

I just haven't had the time to do so lately. My plan is to do it at the same time I create a 1088XLD page on the site, which is on the back burner until I'm ready to release that design. In the meantime, here are links to what you are seeking...

post-42561-0-85881000-1547265153.png

OshPark: Buy Link

Schematic: Midi-XEL_V1_1_schema.pdf

PIC Firmware: MIDI_ctrl_PIC_Firmware_V1.zip

post-42561-0-34255600-1547265160.png

OshPark: Buy Link

Schematic (BOM Updated 2/28/2019): MIDI-DIN-INTFC_V1_2b_schema.pdf

Enjoy :)

• Like 2