MIDI Interface

35 replies to this topic

#26 skr OFFLINE  

skr

Dragonstomper

• 614 posts
  • Ready

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:52 AM

I think i've read Midimaze on the 8bit can network with the ST via midi?  or only other 8bits?

Yes, we´ve actually played it in a mixed network (XLs and STs). An eight bit machine has to be the master, no matter how many and which computers are in the ring.

#27 Sikor OFFLINE  

Sikor

Stargunner

• 1,311 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:05 PM

Price is ok for me. I'll be wait...

#28 StaxX28 OFFLINE  

StaxX28

Chopper Commander

• 192 posts

Posted Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:44 PM

same for me. If i could have 2 it would be perfect :)

#29 Stormtrooper of Death OFFLINE  

Stormtrooper of Death

Moonsweeper

• 391 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 AM

Ivo, since I bought a Roland R-70 drum machine. I now want to buy your midi interface. One question: Can i connect a standard SIO cable to your midi interface or is there some soldering involved ? (I cant solder....)

#30 ivop ONLINE  

ivop

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 407 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:10 AM

There's no SIO port on the board, only a pin header which needs to be connected to the required lines of a cut-in-half SIO cable or salvaged jack.

update: It seems there's a package waiting for me which I can pick-up later today. I think it's the PCBs! Some other parts have not arrived yet, though...

#31 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,011 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:08 AM

There's no SIO port on the board, only a pin header which needs to be connected to the required lines of a cut-in-half SIO cable or salvaged jack.

update: It seems there's a package waiting for me which I can pick-up later today. I think it's the PCBs! Some other parts have not arrived yet, though...

What does the header pin-out look like? Curious if it'll work with the one on the XEL (J5).

OICHVap.png

Be nice to add MIDI functionality in a Mini-ITX cased computer.

- Michael

#32 ivop ONLINE  

ivop

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 407 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 AM

The pin header is as follows:

Pin    SIO
---    ---
1      5    Data Output
2      4    GND
3      3    Data Input
4      6    GND
5      8    Motor Control

You could connect pin 5 to +5V with a manual switch in between, but then you'd need to enable/disable the MIDI device manually.

#33 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

Quadrunner

• 5,591 posts
  • Lone Raider Time!

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:13 AM

I mentioned 1 plus parts, If there are enough I would actually go for 2. 

#34 ivop ONLINE  

ivop

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 407 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:06 AM

Update: PCBs have arrived, as have all other parts except for the 50 DIN5 jacks. I got 10 PCBs, no extras this time. Sometimes I get 11 or 12.

#35 ivop ONLINE  

ivop

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 407 posts

Posted Today, 6:59 AM

Rummaging through my boxes of spare parts, I found a few old DIN5 sockets, which enabled me to build a prototype!

midixlxe-prototype.png

#36 ivop ONLINE  

ivop

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 407 posts

Posted Today, 9:27 AM

Results so far:

MIDI-Thru was broken (by design), but the fix was easy. One cut trace and one jumper wire and it worked!

Some of my keyboards did not work when connected to MIDI-IN. Turned out my CNY17-2 was broken. Swapped for a good one and now it works with all keyboards I own.

As for the software, I tried MIDI Sequencer (SEQ.COM) which works perfectly, has a kind of tracker-like interface, but is MIDI-OUT only (no recording).

MIDIREC, which was specifically written for this interface, plays back OK, but recording seems to miss the timing information. Replaying what I just recorded just dumps all events to the interface, w/o any timing, which sounds like a burp of all the notes played at once :)

So, basically, recording sort of sucks, replay is fine, thru is fine.

cut-trace.png

Going to try other MIDI software later (and also see if it needs patching for this interface).

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users