IGNORED

MIDI Interface

ivop

Thanks for all the suggestions! MIDIM8 would have been great, but yeah, it's taken and MIDI Acquaintance doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

MIDI Match?

Edit after a short walk: I think MIDI Magic (which the_doctor listed) and MIDI Master aren't that bad either, but perhaps a bit presumptuous.

MIDI Friend :P

Edited by ivop

So I got some outside thoughts and 'cause Doc Brown is a crazy gizmo guy...

Dr. MIDI that's short for Doctor MIDI

Dr. MIDI PhD. lol

Mad Science MIDI omg

Bitstorm MIDI

A8 MIDI Storm

ok ok ok I'm carried away!

Edited by _The Doctor__

MIDIVOP if your going to name it after the producer.

I guess I needed to go a step further with that riff, Dr. MIDIO... like Dr. Mario (I was being goofy) sounded good enough to be taken seriously?

How about........

MIDIStorm 8

I'd just muster a list of what sounded good to you and post them here... and we can watch as it whittles down to the perfect choice...

midiwave is already trademarked so that's out...

Edited by _The Doctor__

MIDI-A8 , MIDIM8 or MIDIMA8 might seem like the clever/obvious ACROs people might expect, but perhaps something more unorthadox or even a bit more inane, like Atari might think up.. The Atari Sound ExpandeR (T.A.S.E.R) or more likely, a highly gimped, at a marginally reduced-cost, bolted-down, proprietary, unmodifiable or expandable variant, called The Atari Music... Expander, (T.A.M.E) or as the community would "love to hate" and quip about, L.A.M.E.(R.) icon_wink.gif Ouch, tough crowd..

..or E.D.G.A.R, referring to the computer in 'Electric Dreams', who started the unorthodox love triangle therein, by synthesizing some music for MOLES would-be girlfriend. icon_wink.gif

I wantss what this project is shaping up to be, regardless of what it winds up being called. Thankfully, my balance should have recovered some by the time this is ready. icon_mrgreen.gif

LOL :D

Well,if Atari would have made up a name for it it would have been the 1069 or the XMM69 or something like that.

I prefer simple names that are easy to pronounce for the entire world, are short and to the point.

I like MidiA8 !!!! (Pronounce Mediate or midi-8 :):)

Or maybe refer to something even older with an 8 in it.......A8-track :):)

Edited by Level42

I considered MIDIVO (the P is not part of my first name :)) but found it presumptuous, too :)

As for other acronyms, I thought of Ivo's MIDI for Atari Computers but iMac was already taken ;)

I like MidiWave and the idea behind it, but perhaps MIDI Blaster?

I have second thoughts about MIDIM(A)8 because of MidiMate. It will be confusing.

Edited by ivop

What about IMP, Ivo's MIDI Project?

or IAM: Ivo's Atari MIDI

Or MOS: MIDI Open Source

Or MIDAS: MIDI Interface Device for Atari SIO

or OHM: Open Hardware MIDI

Or Audiot: Audio Using Digital In/Out/Through

Or...

Well, just so you know I also considered MIDI Blaster, iirc the addon board was named s2 blaster.

Have fun selecting names!

MIDAS was my first idea, also because of my favorite RL cat which I wanted to use as a mascot or logo, but there's a MIDI company that's still active and produces hard- and software by that name :/

IMP could have a nice logo with an actual imp, although it's a pretty low level demon ;)

I checked MIDI Blaster and it seems the trademarks were cancelled in June and July of 2002 (https://www.trademarkia.com/trademark-watch/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=MIDI+BLASTER)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

It's a cool project and needs a cool distinctive name. That's why I was trying to avoid names that already existed. The interface certainly stands on it's own.

Okay I culled the list using a younger persons mind opinions, from All of the suggestion this what's left

Midi Melody 1st place
Midi Magic 2nd
MIDIStorm 3rd

Magnum Opus Midi 4th

to be very polished, on the bottom label where no one will look put the model number as XMI3125

4th place surprised me, I thought that wouldn't fly at all but it did..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

MIDI MUSE -- or just MUSE, although there's that band of course...

MIDI Mind

MyMIDI

OurMIDI

It seems Midi Magic is a studio in Nashville and used to be a band in the 90's.

I still like MIDI Blaster, also as a nod to the inventors of the Wave Blaster port and it's not trademarked anymore.

MIDI Melody, while it has a nice ring to it, is IMHO not a device's name.

MIDI MAGIC STUDIO is the name for their enterprise, and the two pressings are done by that same studio as MIDI MAGIC to demonstrate their ability..... a real shame and that's out

MIDI Blaster and Wave Blaster etc are also out... I owned a MIDI Blaster...

MIDI Melody 1st place
MIDIStorm 2nd

Magnum Opus MIDI 3rd

MIDI Time!

MIDI Magix

MIDI Fire

MIDI Chief

Ivo, any thoughts on those? Then to get some new generation votes to sort what's left of it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Magix is also a MIDI/Music software company.

MIDIStorm reminds me of LEGO :)

Currently I'm undecided between the following three:

1. MIDI Muse
  2. MIDI Memories
  3. MIDI Melody

Muse, the source of a person's inspiration.

Memories, referring the retro aspect of this device