ColecoVision/ADAM misc scans, third party controllers, and other stufff

54 replies to this topic

#51 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 660 posts

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2018 7:52 PM

Micro Innovations never released a power supply for the ADAM computer as far as I am aware. Many companies did not want to touch this issue. However, with 1MB and 2MB memory expanders hooked up to the ADAM along with other devices, the ADAM printer power supply could not output enough power. Some mail order companies in extremely small QTY’s developed external third party power supplies for the ADAM computer. They used an old ADAM power cord and converted a factory new 230WATT power supply so that it worked with the ADAM computer. This 230watt power supply was more than enough power to power anything hooked up to the ADAM including 2MB memory expanders and anything else located in the 3 internal slots. Also the 230watt PC power supply had a on off button with a internal fan. In addition, this external new 230watt power supply would power the Coleco ADAM printer when the printer was connected to the DB9 jack on the side of the power supply. One could leave the ADAM printer connected and hit the on/off switch on the printer when they wanted to turn on and off the printer. Since an external power supply was powering both the ADAM computer and the Coleco printer, the printer lasted longer since there was less heat occurring.

The 1983 Coleco ADAM printer is still working after 35 years. I just powered it on and the 35 year old ribbon and Daisy Wheel are still offering a letter quality print. I cannot say that is true for the many other printer technologies on the market after 35 years. However, there is a bug or unwanted feature in the SmartWriter program and/or all ADAM Printer firmware (This bug or unwanted feature occurs with all Coleco ADAM printers released). Every time the Coleco ADAM memory console is reset the printer advances the paper feed one space. Therefore, after one does several resets of the memory console the paper needs to be reloaded in the Coleco ADAM printer.  

I do have one correction to make to my prior post. Most and perhaps all 3rd party power supplies for the ADAM computer did not actually power the ADAM printer. Instead after testing what actually occurs is that the DB9 connector on the side of some third party ADAM Printer power supplies is for connecting of the ADAM printer for data communications only, and the printer remains off as long as the power switch on the back of the printer is off. However, as soon as one turns the printer power switch on (located on the back of the actual printer), what actually happens is the printer well not work unless the power cord is also plugged into the electrical outlet. Therefore, the ADAM printer still uses its own internal power supply when connected to a third party ADAM memory console power supply. Therefore, when one wants to use the ADAM printer they have to still turn it on and use the power supply built into the printer. However, the printer does run cooler when connected to a third party ADAM memory console power supply, because the internal printer power supply is only powering the printer and not powering the entire ADAM computer system.

I did notice one nice improvement about the ADAM printer when connected to a third party power supply. The DB9 connector on the power supply is wired in such a way that the bug or unwanted feature where the ADAM printer advances one space after each memory console reset no longer occurs anymore. This is a very nice improvement not to have to reload the paper after several memory console resets.   

Edited by HDTV1080P, Thu Aug 2, 2018 8:06 PM.

#52 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,013 posts

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2018 8:52 PM

Eve Electronics released two ADAM Computer Power Supplies:

The first was a stand alone power supply called the PS-1A which was a compact unit that powered the Memory Console, any Expansion Cards/Interfaces that where connected to it and the Keyboard. It did not offer an ADAM Printer connector. See pics.

The second was included in the VD-MB 80 Column Unit which also included numerous other expansion options internally and provided a 9-pin port for connecting the ADAM Printer. It powered the Printer so you did not have to plug the Printer's power cord into an outlet. See pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• ADAM Eve PS-1A Power Supply - #01.JPG
  • ADAM Eve PS-1A Power Supply - #02.JPG
  • ADAM Eve PS-1A Power Supply - #03.JPG
  • ADAM Eve PS-1A Power Supply - #05.JPG
  • VD-MB 80 Column Expansion Unit (Front) - #02.jpg
  • VD-MB 80 Column Expansion Unit (Inside) - #01.jpg
  • VD-MB 80 Column Expansion Unit (Rear) - #01.jpg

Edited by NIAD, Thu Aug 2, 2018 8:53 PM.

#53 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 660 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 4:29 AM

Thanks for the pictures. I have never seen those power supplies before, only read about them in the EVE Electronics catalog. There is a possibility that the Eve VB-MB 80 Column Unit might have been the only third party power supply to power the ADAM printer. Technically any third party power supply can be modified and the DB9 connector on the power supply can power the ADAM printer. But to do so it is more complicated and one needs to use higher gauge cable on the DB9 connector since one is not only sending data to the printer over ADAMNET, but the power pins are sending voltage and current. 

Even this new September 2018 ADAM Memory console power supply that is scheduled to be released will not power the printer. http://smartbasic.ne...supply-project/

The Eve unit must have had some type of protection circuit built in so if one turned on the ADAM printer power supply, the power from the ADAM printer would never arrive to the memory console.

If I could go back in time I would purchase more Eve Electronics products in 1985 or 1986. I use to own a Eve Speech Synthesizer. Thanks again for the pictures and information.  

Edited by HDTV1080P, Fri Aug 3, 2018 4:37 AM.

#54 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 6,013 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 4:00 PM

Well, I'll one up you... I had the VD-MB 80 up to around 1998 and I wish that I would have kept it.

Of course the 80 column video output for CP/M / T-Dos was the biggest selling point (Sol Swift released a version of SmartBasic and SwiftLink that displayed 80 columns), but what I really liked was being able to remove the SP-1, SP-1P and SS-CC Interface Cards from their housings and install in the VD-MB unit.

#55 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 660 posts

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2018 4:11 PM

Yea I really like the expansion slots. The EVE VD-MB 80 somehow offered 5 internal expansion slots and the ADAM only offered 3 internal and 1 external. I wish Micro Innovations would have made something similar to this EVE unit. The biggest negative is the up front cost. People that paid $600-$800 for their ADAM would have purchased it. But in 1985-1986+ when people were getting ADAM''s for under $300 and sometimes under $200 on clearance below manufacturing cost, in general many of those consumers did not even want to spend $200 on a disk drive. The Micro Innovations memory expansder and MIB3 internal cards were popular because of their low price. Entry level internal cardss sometimes sold for around $30+.   

Edited by HDTV1080P, Fri Aug 3, 2018 4:15 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users