gamepad repair

6 replies to this topic

#1 travistouchdown ONLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,586 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:33 AM

So several years ago my girlfriend (at the time, now wife, lol) knocked my Wii U gamepad off our coffee table where it flipped onto the floor landing firmly on the left joystick.  From then on, instead of clicking in as it should (used in a number of games) it is squishy and doesn't do anything.  Luckily the directional aspect still works.

Several years ago I contacted Nintendo and they said it would be $80 to fix the damn thing, no matter what.  Whether it was run over by a bulldozer or if it just had one small $5 dollar part needed (like I assume mine does.)

Has anyone attempted to ever repair their gamepads for any issue.  Any possibility of finding parts for this?   Only a couple games really have a critical need for that left joystick click, but the more I think about it the more I realize I hang onto Nintendo consoles for decades so i'd really like it working for the years ahead and maybe should just suck it up and pay the "nintendo" tax before I can't get it repaired at all anymore...

Thoughts?

#2 travistouchdown ONLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,586 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:35 AM

So here they are...nice.  Certainly less than $80

Always worry about quality and durability though versus OEM...

http://www.ebay.com/...5.c100005.m1851

Gave these ones a try since the reviews are all positive.  Worst case scenario I am out $8 bucks...

http://www.ebay.com/...119.m1438.l2649

I hate how the big N tries to gouge people for repairs.  I think it's mostly because they don't want to DEAL with it themselves.  They just want to sell you new shit. lol

Edited by travistouchdown, Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:40 AM.

#3 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,989 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:52 AM

Is it that different of a stick that every other console currently uses? Yeah I'm sure you want a matching part, but unless its digital like 64, I'd think most any would work.

#4 travistouchdown ONLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,586 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 8:55 AM

And of course had to order a wonky tri head screw driver to do this repair. Thanks for the weird bit heads Nintendo!

#5 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 6,870 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sat Sep 9, 2017 2:51 AM

I wonder if you could swap in a Wii U Pro Controller analog stick? 

#6 travistouchdown ONLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,586 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:11 AM

This took me about 20 minutes and cost $12 (including the special N screwdriver.)  Definitley less than the $80-$100 Nintendo wanted to fix my left joystick.  Works great! 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20170913_155651365.jpg
  • IMG_20170913_160057196.jpg
  • IMG_20170913_160511059.jpg

#7 thegamezmaster ONLINE  

thegamezmaster

River Patroller

• 2,342 posts

Posted Today, 8:21 AM

And of course had to order a wonky tri head screw driver to do this repair. Thanks for the weird bit heads Nintendo!

Nice work. I have a wii u zelda gamepad that has a broken camera. How hard or difficult is the gamepad to work on? Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gamepad, repair

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users