IGNORED

How do you share your creations with muggles?

Karl G

I'm assuming that most people don't have a large number of friends and family who still have an active Atari console. For those of you who have created games, how do you share them with people you know, or do you even try?

The simplest way I can think of is online via the Javatari emulator. The emulator has some limitations compared to Stella, but it's pretty decent overall.

I'm curious as to whether this is at all important to others, and what they do.

• Like 2

For those of you who have created games, how do you share them with people you know, or do you even try?

I mostly don't even try. I'll provide a link to the game rom. If they know what to do with it, great. If not, there's no point trying, as they likely won't bother.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The other day i gave my buddy a usb stick with the rom, stella, and a note file, just in case it was confusing for him. It wasn't.
I guess you could buy the sticks in bulk, and give away or share. I know a good many local bands that do it this, they will pass them out after a show, randomly on the streets, and sometimes leave the usb on a bench or table for someone to find later (Clever)

Edit: weirdly I once found an USB myself. One of the files had info saying that it was found 5 times, It asked to add to the tally and to be left in the street again after I copied the music from it. Which I did. I love stuff like that, it works if people play along.

I think finding something is more incentive to see what it is vs. someone saying 'here this is my game play it" they probably won't lol

Edited by WizardBone

The other day i gave my buddy a usb stick with the rom, stella, and a note file, just in case it was confusing for him. It wasn't.

I guess you could buy the sticks in bulk, and give away or share. I know a good many local bands that do it this, they will pass them out after a show, randomly on the streets, and sometimes leave the usb on a bench or table for someone to find later (Clever)

Edit: weirdly I once found an USB myself. One of the files had info saying that it was found 5 times, It asked to add to the tally and to be left in the street again after I copied the music from it. Which I did. I love stuff like that, it works if people play along.

I think finding something is more incentive to see what it is vs. someone saying 'here this is my game play it" they probably won't lol

It's also a good way to find malware though. If possible I'd use a dirty system for such treasure hunts.

• Like 1

I think this idea of leaving USBs around is fun! I'm a fairly tech savvy person so I have a very safe computer setup.

I'm not sure why a USB in the street would be any more dangerous than anywhere else on the internet.

• Like 1

I think this idea of leaving USBs around is fun! I'm a fairly tech savvy person so I have a very safe computer setup.

I'm not sure why a USB in the street would be any more dangerous than anywhere else on the internet.

lol it is fun! I think it's hilarious and interesting marketing strategy.

I never get malware or virus' in general. I don't worry about that stuff much. I guess there is always the chance someone is evil lol but most stuff I find on the street has been either lost and or like the time I found a bands album. Street treasure!

You should definitely get some information here. An USB stick is an extra "attack vector" for your computer.

https://blog.avast.com/2015/10/27/sticking-unknown-usb-devices-into-your-computer-is-risky-business/

I've never heard of a website that could fry your computer.

A Hong Kong-based technology manufacturer, USBKill.com, has taken data security to the "Mission Impossible" extreme by creating a USB stick that uses an electrical discharge to fry an unauthorized computer into which it's plugged.

The company claims its own tests revealed more than 95% of computer devices are affected by a USB power surge attack, and almost all consumer-level hardware fails when tested against the USB Kill. The most frequent outcome, the company admits, is the complete destruction of the device (i.e., laptops, televisions, smartphones, etc).

• Like 2