IGNORED

Atari 5200 help

Geose

I have a 5200 4 port, and i'm making a switch box. At the end of the instructions it says to use an 11.5 volt brick and suggests stepping down a 12v to 11.5v. I'm not sure if this is needed. I don't know if the switch box added some type of voltage protection, the 2 port can run off of a 12v power supply and i know that with the switch box the 4port can too.

I have a 5200 4 port, and i'm making a switch box. At the end of the instructions it says to use an 11.5 volt brick and suggests stepping down a 12v to 11.5v. I'm not sure if this is needed.

"Power supply info (if you don't have one).

The 5200 power supply is 11.5 volts DC @ 1.95 amps and has a standard type coaxial plug (center positive 5mm OD, 2.1mm ID). Or you could construct one from a transformer, 4 diodes, two capacitors, a resistor, a 3A adj. voltage regulator, heat sink, case, and cabling, or find a 12V 2A power supply and add a diode inline to drop the voltage by 0.5V, but that's another project!"

It's just the specs on a stock 5200 PSU.

I don't know if the switch box added some type of voltage protection, the 2 port can run off of a 12v power supply and i know that with the switch box the 4port can too.

Second to last paragraph:

"How does it work?

The capacitor transparently passes the video signal from the 5200 to the TV output jack, while at the same time preventing the DC power from the power supply jack from going into your TV. The choke (inductor) transparently passes the the 11.5 volt DC power to the 5200 via the RCA jack while at the same time preventing the video signal from escaping back down the power supply wire. The bolt around which the choke is wound helps to increase the choke's inductance to block more of the video signal from going back into the power supply than it otherwise would. The aluminum box itself helps keep the video signal confined to where it belongs to prevent possible interference and to ensure that as much of the signal as possible gets to your TV. For this reason, plastic boxes are not recommended."

If that doesn't answer your question I'm not sure what you mean. That box works almost the same as the OEM, just with out the extra switching.