IGNORED

Wii Virtual Console still active?

RJ

Interested in downloading Super Mario World onto my Wii. I get an error code trying to access the server.

Is the Virtual Console service still active?

Is there a version of SMW, hidden or otherwise, available on the GBA or DS?

It SHOULD still be up. Is your console firmware up to date? Discussion here: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/the-wii-shop-channel-still-works-any-info-on-when-it-will-shut-down.454913944/

My favorite place to play SMW is on the New 3DS. Its the proper SNES version.

The Wii VC version is SNES too. Note that it needs a classic controller to play.

The GBA version is cut down a bit, still good though.

• 4 months later...

It SHOULD still be up. Is your console firmware up to date? Discussion here: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/the-wii-shop-channel-still-works-any-info-on-when-it-will-shut-down.454913944/

My favorite place to play SMW is on the New 3DS. Its the proper SNES version.

The Wii VC version is SNES too. Note that it needs a classic controller to play.

The GBA version is cut down a bit, still good though.

Hey I know this is an old thread, but what differences are there between the SNES and GBA versions? I recall them being the same, except that the GBA audio sounds a little wonky to me.

There are several sites online that go into detail. As a big fan of this game that's familiar with both versions, these are the most obvious ones that come to mind.

• Downgraded audio.
  • Brightened graphics to account for the early GBA screens.
  • Added voice effects.
  • Luigi can be selected (With Luigi specific physics).
  • Dragon coins are turned into collectibles like the star coins of the New Super Mario Bros. series.
  • Added hit point (With the cape and the flower powerups, you'll just revert to Super Mario if you take a hit).
  • Colored Yoshi's can be found outside of the Star World.
  • An added intro and there's another cut-scene when you collect all the dragon coins.
  • Save anywhere at anytime, with your status maintained (Lives, powerups, etc.).
  • Status screen tracking the dragon coins, level exits, which character was used for each exit, etc.

It's an excellent port and a worthwhile variant even today now that the original can be played on the go via the New 3DS Virtual Console. The Luigi physics change up the feel of the game and hunting the dragon coins, often newly placed since some levels never had them, provides a new task for the SMW veteran to tackle.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1