IGNORED

My MegaSpeedy 1050 front (bezel) 3D print

Level42

Staring a separate topic for this.

I've been adapting the available 1050 MegaSpeedy front to my taste.

The 3D printing company just sent me these pics.

I guess the small letters and Atari Logo are a bit of a challenge for a 3D printer.....a bit too tiny probably....but we'll see what we can make of it.

A bit of sanding should get it a bit smoother too ;)

post-25272-0-43394000-1504090571_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-51578500-1504090590_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-33743200-1504090603_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

This was my design. The biggest problem with the original design was that the corners on the left and right "started" too early when looked from the top. I tried to correct this as good as I could. The tiny "edge" on this corner is not in the right place though but I could not get that any better and it's only a tiny detail.

I hope I can get the S,E and D letters as nice as possible...would be fun to see them light up....

post-25272-0-84577900-1504090990_thumb.png

post-25272-0-38994600-1504091000_thumb.png

• Like 9

Yes I will put up the file but following the print I will need to make some improvements.

The idea with the S,E and D letters simply doesn't work. The letters are simply too small to get nice and longing them up with the LEDs is hard.

The final output is a bit rough because I still have to do some after work like sanding. However, you can never expect a result like a factory mass produced injection molded plastic with 3D printing.

Of course I will put up pics of the end-result.

The people who printed this were friends of fa friend who have a company in selling pro 3D printers, They loved the project and put quite a bit of time and test prints in it. I paid a "friends" price but I will ask if they can quote a price.

• Like 4

Yes yes yes.....I really like this .....

The video and pics don't do it justice.....

It's Not so verly bright at all....it really has a nice glow in real life.

Sadly, the two beams of the Atari logo were too thin to survive the printing proces. Thinking about putting two thin "things" in there but....what.....has to be very thin and sturdy......or maybe I'll just leave it.....it's recognizable for sure...

post-25272-0-60497100-1504730334_thumb.jpg

post-25272-0-65351800-1504730360_thumb.jpg

trim.793FE381-FDD1-451E-8E17-13D7E8F292A3.MOV

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

Not an option, that would completely ruin the logo, the dimensions wouldn't be correct anymore horizontally vs. vertically and I'm anal enough about the Atari logo that I wouldn't want that to happen. However, making them a bit thicker might be an option but to be honest....if you see it in real life it doesn't seem to matter that much. The light isn't "bleeding" as you see in the pictures and remember that those pictures are way larger than the logo holes are in real life. The whole logo is only a bit larger than the regular hole for the Power Led on the 1050.....and what you see is what your brain associates with the Atari logo.

It's a bit like those texts where they mingle the letters but you can still read it because you recognize the entire words....

Like this:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

Probably works best in your native language but even so I can still read this pretty well...and this is what seems to happen when looking at that lit-up logo too...

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

Night shot with original red power LED. In real life, this looks pretty dim.

Compare th brightness of the digits of the MegaSpeedy display.....

But it does well on camera.....

Something I've noticed.....it looks like the green density LED is indicating Single Density.....but the drawing that are published with the MegaSpeedy say it is supposed to be the Double Density LED ?

post-25272-0-91503800-1504787186_thumb.jpg

Edited by Level42
  • Like 7

Have you tried working with this file here

http://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=megaspeedy-1050-front-bezel-3d-file

I downloaded it and sent it to be printed and it came back pretty good. It still needs some fine tuning.

I used this service

service@shapeways.com

It was pretty cheap. But the closest color was black, and need just a light sanding.

But I's like to get something that fits better.

The top attaches very well across where it goes under the badge and grabs the inside lip. A .2mm too tight maybe left and right on the sides, but the case bends to make it work. I'd rather it match better. But I must assume all 1050 have had different lives, and the fit could be off.

As shown in the pics the bottom is short a bit. and long on the angle. The taps on the bottom for the screws fit fine. They added a hook on the inside left I had to cut off. The switch hole is a bit off it's center, but this also could be from it's past life.

post-15598-0-27564300-1504851246_thumb.jpg

post-15598-0-51184100-1504851268_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

That is exactly the same faults I ran into so yes they are in the design.

I have already fixed that angle which is too short to the top. The power switch hole sim indeed too much to the left. I still need to correct that in the design.

Bit occupied with another A8 project at the moment but I will make the changes.

That print looks very good by the way.

Black is the best color...it totally matches the drives mechanism plastic.

Edited by Level42

I like that mine has the holes for the LED's. yours looks like it dose not, currently. Could you put them back in?

I did see that you were trying to use letters instead of holes in the other thread, with little success. I'm not use of what the 3D printer 'resolution' is, but smaller letters might work. Then again, the LED's are nearly on the same plane as the readout, and letters may not be possible. If not, holes with right justified raised labels might work.

Now I'm just thinking as I'm typing, maybe to get a bit bigger lettering by doing something like this:

XXXXXXXX \

\- *

XXXXXXXX --- *

/- *

XXXXXXXX /

• 6 months later...

I've had a couple printed from downloaded STL's... turned out like crap or did not fit. So I'm also all ears if eventually there's a 'use this STL at this printer' or if I can just buy one from someone who 's has made good verified ones themselves...

Some really slick looking stuff in the works in this thread though!

Edited by Nezgar

• 3 weeks later...

That is exactly the same faults I ran into so yes they are in the design.

I have already fixed that angle which is too short to the top. The power switch hole sim indeed too much to the left. I still need to correct that in the design.

Bit occupied with another A8 project at the moment but I will make the changes.

That print looks very good by the way.

Black is the best color...it totally matches the drives mechanism plastic.

I'd definitely be interested in updating my 3dprinter file with a corrected design. Have you made any progress since Sept? ;-)

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 9/8/2017 at 4:24 PM, KLund1 said:

Have you tried working with this file here

http://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=megaspeedy-1050-front-bezel-3d-file

I downloaded it and sent it to be printed and it came back pretty good. It still needs some fine tuning.

I used this service

service@shapeways.com

It was pretty cheap. But the closest color was black, and need just a light sanding.

But I's like to get something that fits better.

The top attaches very well across where it goes under the badge and grabs the inside lip. A .2mm too tight maybe left and right on the sides, but the case bends to make it work. I'd rather it match better. But I must assume all 1050 have had different lives, and the fit could be off.

As shown in the pics the bottom is short a bit. and long on the angle. The taps on the bottom for the screws fit fine. They added a hook on the inside left I had to cut off. The switch hole is a bit off it's center, but this also could be from it's past life.

post-15598-0-27564300-1504851246_thumb.jpg

post-15598-0-51184100-1504851268_thumb.jpg

I have the same issue with te 3D print no fitting the drive case correctly with the MegaSpeedy STL file. Did anyone ever fix this?