IGNORED

New Commodore 64C cases ... soon

sm3

I was told by someone from Germany that the new Commodore 64C branded cases should go on sale on September 1st:

https://shop.return-magazin.de/newsletter/index.html

I'm really looking forward to getting an official Commodore branded case with the bread bin color.

Before Gamescom, I watched this video that shows the new box the cases will come in. Push it up to about 1 minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JItDEoFZ7Xg

• Like 1

The beige, white and other colored ones have been available for some time now, but always missing the Commodore badge. This new batch looks really slick though! Especially like the bread bin color as you said.

Yeah, I got 2 from the Kickstarter campaign as well. Like you said, it will be nice to have a Commodore badge on it.

Some of the new cases are available now. They are 59 Euro plus shipping.

I could not complete my order though. There was no field to put my state and it was still trying to charge me VAT even though I chose USA for country. I've contacted them, hopefully it will be fixed for non EU folks.

Just a small update, I received a reply regarding my attempted purchase.

I was told they will be updating the website over the weekend (for the state block) and to try again on Monday. Was also told that VAT has to be included for purchases from Germany. I thought VAT was not charged for non-EU countries. He's going to check with his accountant on this as well.

One last thing, there are 2 shipping options foil or box. Box will be more money of course to ship to the US. I can't see foil as an option myself, since it would probably arrive with a few dings during shipping.

The C16 keyboard looks like a match for the black case

The problem there is that, although the keyboard assembly'll fit, the circuit board needs to be swapped out for a C64 one and the key caps don't match (four curor keys, Escape instead of left arrow and so on). i've done the conversion when i was low on spare parts and my C64C workhorse currently has it fitted. =-)

The problem there is that, although the keyboard assembly'll fit, the circuit board needs to be swapped out for a C64 one and the key caps don't match (four curor keys, Escape instead of left arrow and so on). i've done the conversion when i was low on spare parts and my C64C workhorse currently has it fitted. =-)

But it might be an option for a replacement C16 case.

I took the plunge and ordered a bread bin color 64C case. The bottom line cost for my order, with shipping to the USA, VAT (which I'm not sure why I had to pay that) and the cardboard box was $125.69 after currency conversion.

I paid 19% VAT, but I'm hoping the seller realizes that export to non-EU countries does not require charging VAT. That was about 16,33 euro. Shipping was $45.39.

Quite pricey overall I suppose for a plastic case, but I'm still looking forward to putting my new Commodore 64 Reloaded MK2 into it this year!

Is it just me or does there appear to be a lot of swirls in the plastic from the injection molding on the new photos?

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing. The lighter colors are more tolerable, I suppose. But between that and the high cost of shipping, I'm taking a pass.

They should outsource all production to China, who still have subsidized shipping costs according to an old agreement with the Western countries. That is why shipping tends to be so cheap, you have already paid for it by using your domestic shipping companies and/or the tax. I've come to understand the agreement is about to end so in a few years time we'll get to see ramped up shipping costs from China too, when they charge the actual costs for sending your packages.

$126 shipped? Will be passing as well. :(

Yeah, I suppose they will sell more to the EU folks. The shipments are all coming from Germany so I suspect it's cheaper than shipping across the Atlantic.

Of course they may have already realized this going into it.

Looks like they got the VAT thing straightened out. Now it's a hair over $100 shipped to the US. Better, but still too rich for my blood.

There's still some cases on ebay from the previous run... just ordered a white one for $30 shipped.

Oh cool, I'll be watching for my VAT credit from them then ;)

The Kickstarter cases are really good too. I have 2 of them (a white and red) and am using the white with my C64 Reloaded. Don't forget to get some keyboard rests, unless you already have some. There is a person in Canada selling some nice looking ones with the screws and all on eBay.