IGNORED

7800 and NES Reviews from February 1986

Below are Atari 7800 and Nintendo Entertainment System reviews from the February 1986 issue of Computer Entertainer The Newsletter (The Video Game Update):

Atari 7800 Game System Shown!

One of the biggest surprises of this CES was the showing of the Atari 7800 ProSystem videogame unit and cartridges. Almost two years after its splashy press debut, the 7800 will be available next month. (MSR $79.95 for the console with controllers and POLE POSITION II cartridge; approximately ten games to be available at about $15 each.) Atari also showed a smaller, lighter version of the 2600 game console (MSR $49.95). Commenting on demand for video games, Atari's executive vice president and head of the company's entertainment electronics division, Michael Katz, said "Some people have said the video game market is dormant, but Atari is proving that the opposite is true. Well over a million Atari 2600's were sold in 1985, convincing us that there is a strong demand for video game entertainment and a large trade-up market for the new 7800."

The Game System That Refused to Die

The Atari 7800 could be called the game system that refused to die. First announced in June of 1984, the sophisticated 7800 was eagerly anticipated by gamers looking for the next technological leap. After Jack Tramiel took over Atari in July of 1984, those gamers pursued Atari with letters, phone calls and petitions. Some of them called us regularly, hoping against all odds that Tramiel would put the 7800 on the market. Now the wait is over. The 7800, with its greatly enhanced sound and graphics, plays its own superb cartridges, along with all Atari 2600 cartridges. (No adaptor is required.) Initial 7800 games to be available include MS. PAC-MAN, GALAGA, CENTIPEDE, JOUST, MOON PATROL, DIG DUG, and ROBOTRON: 2084. Other titles promised are 3-D ASTEROIDS. XEVIOUS, FOOD FIGHT, BALLBLAZER, and RESCUE ON FRACTALUS. Atari also says that additional 7800 titles are in development. When we asked or specifics, we were told that discussion of future titles planned for Fall '86 would be "premature" at this time. We will keep you informed about plans for 7800 games as we learn about them, and we intend to review software for the unit.

The NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM was introduced to the New York City area a little before Christmas, 1985 by Nintendo of America. If you thought video games were dead, guess again. The NES was a big success in New York, featuring arcade-quality graphics, superb sound, and a whole lot of fun. It is an adaptation for the American market of the Nintendo Family Computer System, which has sold over 6 million units in Japan. The U.S. version includes the main game console, two controllers, a light gun, R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy), and two cartridge games. The system can be connected to a color TV or monitor.

Superb Graphics and Sound

Nintendo has announced 26 titles for the NES, not all of which are available right now. These include the two that come with the system: DUCK HUNT (an old pizza parlor favorite) and GYROMITE. The games include sports simulations, arcade classics such as DONKEY KONG and MARIO BROS., programmable games, action contests, and games that work with the robot or the light gun. Both games that come with the system feature superb graphics and sound. The graphics are better than the old ColecoVision system, and gameplay can match any computer system currently on the market.

Duck Hunting with Light Gun

Nintendo's Light Gun is used with DUCK HUNT, a cartridge that contains three games for shooting at one duck, two ducks, or clay pigeons. As the game begins, your trusty hunting dog is sniffing out ducks. When he finds one, he barks realistically and jumps into the brush to flush the duck out. The duck flaps out of the brush and flies around the screen, while you have three shots to hit it. A successful shot results in flying feathers and your dog's nosedive into the brush where he retrieves the duck and holds it up for you to see. The disrespectful mutt laughs hysterically if you miss the duck. The two-duck game is similar, giving you three shots to hit two ducks. Both games start with slow ducks that move progressively faster in later rounds. If you choose clay pigeons fired into the sky, you'll have to hit two of them with three shots. This can prove difficult since the targets shrink rapidly in size as they move into the distance toward a mountain range.

Playing With the Robot

In GYROMITE, you must use R.O.B. to help Professor Hector the mad scientist, defuse all the bombs in his lab. This game for one or two players uses the robot, two gate controllers, and two gyroscopes. You must set the spinning gyroscopes on the gate controllers to open the gates so the Professor can get to the bombs. Small, bird-like creatures called Smicks complicate matters: they're out to make a meal of the Professor. In the second game on the cartridge, Professor Hector is sleep-walking through his lab. You must use R.O.B. to open and close the gates so that the Professor can reach the far side of the lab safely, avoiding the ever-hungry Smicks.

A Real Winner

Nintendo seems to have a real winner on their hands with the NES. It's a top-quality entertainment system that offers a lot of play value for the price. Availability will spread gradually through major U.S. cities over the first six months of 1986, with full nationwide distribution sometime after June.
Recommended. (MSR $159.95) --Joe Blenkle

post-13-0-08558300-1504857006_thumb.png

• Like 8

And don't forget that Intellivision makes a comeback!

Comeback? It never went away. The new owners continued to supply stores with Intellivision consoles and cartridges in 1984. In 1985 they started to manufacture new consoles and new titles were published that year. Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

Comeback? It never went away. The new owners continued to supply stores with Intellivision consoles and cartridges in 1984. In 1985 they started to manufacture new consoles and new titles were published that year.

I mean it says right in the article they had $6 million in sales in 1985 just based off of old stock; I think they're more referring to the fact that they showed off new games at CES.

I mean it says right in the article they had $6 million in sales in 1985 just based off of old stock; I think they're more referring to the fact that they showed off new games at CES.

The article doesn't say anything about the $6M being old or new stock. On page 13 it mentions that they got to briefly see new Intellivision games planned for 1986. They mention Super Pro Football, Hover Force, Pole Position, Tower of Mystery (released as Tower of Doom), and Karete Champ (not released). It also says that INTV Corp is developing a new system; so much for "sworn to absolute secrecy". Of course it didn't happen.

That's what you and I call "Asteroids." The 7800 version had a spinning effect on the rocks. I don't know when they officially changed the name, but I've seen it both ways.

And, not for nothing, one of my favorite versions of Asteroids. I genuinely dug that "3D" effect.

• Like 1

That's what you and I call "Asteroids." The 7800 version had a spinning effect on the rocks. I don't know when they officially changed the name, but I've seen it both ways.

And, not for nothing, one of my favorite versions of Asteroids. I genuinely dug that "3D" effect.

Ha! It is a pretty decent rolling/spinning affect the Asteroids have, though I never once considered it "3-D"!

The article doesn't say anything about the $6M being old or new stock. On page 13 it mentions that they got to briefly see new Intellivision games planned for 1986. They mention Super Pro Football, Hover Force, Pole Position, Tower of Mystery (released as Tower of Doom), and Karete Champ (not released). It also says that INTV Corp is developing a new system; so much for "sworn to absolute secrecy". Of course it didn't happen.

Granted - the old stock comment was just based on Intellivision productions website indicating they didn't start selling new games until 1986.

Granted - the old stock comment was just based on Intellivision productions website indicating they didn't start selling new games until 1986.

Thunder Castle and World Championship Baseball were released in 1985. Intellivisionlives.com mentions they started manufacturing consoles and cartridges in 1985 when inventory ran out. They were in the fall 1985 catalog. It also says that for Christmas 1984 Intellivision was the only console shipping (old stock) in the United States. I don't know if that's true. I would have thought Coleco Vision and the maybe the 2600 were still shipping.

Thunder Castle and World Championship Baseball were released in 1985. Intellivisionlives.com mentions they started manufacturing consoles and cartridges in 1985 when inventory ran out. They were in the fall 1985 catalog. It also says that for Christmas 1984 Intellivision was the only console shipping (old stock) in the United States. I don't know if that's true. I would have thought Coleco Vision and the maybe the 2600 were still shipping.

According to this, 1986 is when they started selling new games:

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/home.shtml

Computer Entertainer itself has noted that Thunder Castle and World Championship Baseball were due to come out in early 1986. The catalog listed them for sale in the fall, so I don't know if they were mail order only in late 85 as production went on or if they were delayed.

Coleco was still selling 1st party games in 84 and 85 and I have read elsewhere(Electronic Games, I think?) that they still were selling consoles too (at reduced numbers from previously)... so that may have been some hyperbole on their part :P

The Intellivisionlives.com

According to this, 1986 is when they started selling new games:
http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/home.shtml

Computer Entertainer itself has noted that Thunder Castle and World Championship Baseball were due to come out in early 1986. The catalog listed them for sale in the fall, so I don't know if they were mail order only in late 85 as production went on or if they were delayed.

Coleco was still selling 1st party games in 84 and 85 and I have read elsewhere(Electronic Games, I think?) that they still were selling consoles too (at reduced numbers from previously)... so that may have been some hyperbole on their part :P

Regardless, the Intellivisionlives.com website does say they started running out of Mattel stock in 1985 and started manufacturing their own. Here is the following page to the Computer Entertainer issue this thread is about. It was written in early 1986 and says Thunder Castle and World Championship Baseball came out in 1985.

post-43287-0-28618200-1504910982_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...