Atari Clone Coleco Gemini eBay Find

33 replies to this topic

#26 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 9,663 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:35 AM

Would it be fair to say the best thing about the Gemini was the controllers, not included in the package in question?

#27 up2knowgood OFFLINE  

up2knowgood

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:23 AM

Not sure what this one is, it's sans label.  I got it a year or two ago along with a PAL rarity and a potential prototype.

PM an address and I'll send it your way, if you'd like.

I would like, thank you! :)

#28 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,023 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:33 AM

Would it be fair to say the best thing about the Gemini was the controllers, not included in the package in question?

Combo aspect aside, vertically oriented controllers suck - so nope, that's not it. :lol:

APF/RCA
Intellivision
TI-99/4A
Colecovision

...these controllers are awesome! Said nobody ever. :rolling:

#29 DrSidneyZweibel OFFLINE  

DrSidneyZweibel

Chopper Commander

• 188 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:18 AM

I like the Gemini controllers much more than atari's cx-40, the RF out on most geminis is so good there's no need to AV mod it, but mostly I like it because it looks like a video game console, not like a radiator from a crappy 1970's riding lawnmower.

Edited by DrSidneyZweibel, Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 AM.

#30 up2knowgood OFFLINE  

up2knowgood

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:32 AM

Eh...for most maybe, but I like the look of the console too.

#31 Good_Times ONLINE  

Good_Times

Dragonstomper

• 694 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:54 AM

gemini4.jpg

thundarr-the-barbarian-season-2-5-last-train-to-doomsday-gemini-thundarr.jpg

#32 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,542 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 AM

Prices certainly have risen!

When I first started collecting in the early-1990s, I bought a Gemini (with power supply and video cable/switchbox, but no controllers) for about Cdn$5. I do not recall if it needed any repairs to fix cracked solder joints. I have subsequently purchased the combo controllers for it.

For several years, it was my main system to play 2600 games -- I really like the extremely compact size. I do not remember having any compatibility issues with games. 

#33 GeekDragon OFFLINE  

GeekDragon

Star Raider

• 66 posts
  • Just call me Geek!

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 PM

I have never compared the RF output on these systems, so this is the first time I'm hearing that Gemini has a better RF out put then the 2600.  I still prefer the controllers.

#34 Polybius OFFLINE  

Polybius

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 307 posts
  • Where am I?

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:46 PM

I don't believe I've ever heard of this 'Gemini'.   I know of the Sears system, but one made by Coleco ?

So how did that work back in the day, Coleco making a clone system intended to run 2600 carts?   Wouldn't they be crossing all sorts of legal lines, or am I missing something here?

well, it did end up crossing a line. Atari ended up suing them. most of the components were "off the shelf" , except for the video chip.The VTL chip as its referred to in the gemini, was a copy of Atari's GTIA, and Atari sued. They settled out of court, for an undisclosed sum, and royalties on each gemini/Expansion Module sold. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari, Clone, Coleco, Gemini, eBay, Find

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users