IGNORED

One's Favorite Programs on Finalgrom99

Fonzie

To my knowledge, the approach available today is to use the XB compiler to compile XB into an EA5 program image, then use a tool such as Fred Kaal's module creator to oack that into a ROM .bin.

There are limitations on what the compiler will consume. It usually requires some if then else massaging, and modifications for timing.

In the finalrom99 / FinalGROM99 bin thread, post #1 has a small section of games that have gone through that process.

-M@

The late and great Gazoo did an interesting trick on the UberGROM with the Bert & Ernie program. Normally that program takes forever to load and run, but he took a memory image of it just as it started executing and saved that as the .BIN in the cartridge. The start time is immediate and if one did not know better think it was an assembly (E/A5) program. The neat thing is if you do a break, it will drop to XB. I THINK the same could be done with the FinalGROM. IIRC the master (Gazoo) told me he used Classic99 in it's construction.

• Like 1

Love my Finalgrom99. I'm a newby and am wonderi how exactly would you add a collection of your own XB programs to the Finalgrom. If they must be changed to .bins how is that done?

https://youtu.be/YwQL1-CZGO8

This ^^^^.

Note: The BASIC compiler has been improved since I filmed this video. New Compiler2 is much easier and faster. This will give you the big picture.

Has anyone ever tried to compile Karateka? The Ti-BASIC (XB? been awhile can't remember which it is) version is truly oustanding (a near perfect clone visually) but runs in near frame-by-frame slow-motion because of BASIC.

Just curious of anyone has ever looked at it to see if it is compatible with the compilier.

Has anyone ever tried to compile Karateka? The Ti-BASIC (XB? been awhile can't remember which it is) version is truly oustanding (a near perfect clone visually) but runs in near frame-by-frame slow-motion because of BASIC.

Just curious of anyone has ever looked at it to see if it is compatible with the compilier.

Warn you it's pretty well unplayable in it's BASIC form, but it exists and is quite "pretty",

looking for it now...please hold....

here tis as a dsk, the man program is (kara)...

ok, it's not as sweet looking as I remember, but still not bad for XB, and "Michael" did include all the cut scenes...but damn she IS slow!

Everything is in french, but I think you all know the game well enough not to require translation (Chargement means loading...there, all ya need) the picture is a classic99 unfiltered cap, so yup that what KaraTIka looks like).

now, I don;t know how much of the game is there, but it does get past the first battle (grindingly slow speed always made me stop by then!).

I really thought this was a known program!

post-40994-0-69787600-1505432108.jpg

KARATEKA.dsk

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 5

OK apologies, I decided to play it through and it's kill a couple guards and you save the princess. so good for a curiosity (or as a temptation to some of our homebrew gurus) but not worth converting for the FG99 except as an XB demo.

Still, kudos to the original author it is still quite the accomplishment to have pulled off as much as he did in XB!

Edited by PeBo

OK, it's about 5 or 6 fights then you get the girl and game over.

It's not so bad if you play in C99 and turn on/off cpu overdrive to get close enough to hit your opponent. None of the bad guys seemed to attack me either.

Google translate is funny - I'm going to attempt to translate this game in to english using it. :)

EDIT:

Well, I couldn't find the credits or the opening instructions about rules in the program, seems those aren't printed text but instead custom char codes. I did however translate the end of the story which can be found on lines 565 and 570.

Also, I was fixing up all the code line by line to be compiler friendly when I ran in to a subprogram. The compiler does not support sub programs and I don't understand the code enough to break the sub program free.

Call E (90) was the red flag.

Anyway, it's not a large program and anyone more savvy than I can easily make this to compile. If you know the rules about if/then/else/gosub/no sub programs, etc...

Edited by Sinphaltimus
  • Like 2

here tis as a dsk, the man program is (kara)...

ok, it's not as sweet looking as I remember, but still not bad for XB, and "Michael" did include all the cut scenes...but damn she IS slow!

Everything is in french, but I think you all know the game well enough not to require translation (Chargement means loading...there, all ya need) the picture is a classic99 unfiltered cap, so yup that what KaraTIka looks like).

now, I don;t know how much of the game is there, but it does get past the first battle (grindingly slow speed always made me stop by then!).

I really thought this was a known program!

never ceases to amaze me what people have hidden away :D

• Like 1

OK apologies, I decided to play it through and it's kill a couple guards and you save the princess. so good for a curiosity (or as a temptation to some of our homebrew gurus) but not worth converting for the FG99 except as an XB demo.

Still, kudos to the original author it is still quite the accomplishment to have pulled off as much as he did in XB!

From what i see you just walk towards the guards and they die

G

But he still programmed the punches and kicks!

I found that if you move to the left instead of the right, you reappear on the right side of the screen, then if you continue moving until you are back on the left side of the guard, you actually get to fight him. Not sure if that's intended by the programmer or just a side effect of how sprites work.

Still impresses me that the programmer took on such a daunting project as cloning the first few screens of a commercial game in XB and while there's play flaws, it does look like Karateka!

If he's still out there and reading this then "Bravo Michael! Bien fait!"

Not sure when and where this got into my collection, but I really should start sharing my more obscure stuff that I thought everyone already knew about!

• Like 4

The late and great Gazoo did an interesting trick on the UberGROM with the Bert & Ernie program. Normally that program takes forever to load and run, but he took a memory image of it just as it started executing and saved that as the .BIN in the cartridge. The start time is immediate and if one did not know better think it was an assembly (E/A5) program. The neat thing is if you do a break, it will drop to XB. I THINK the same could be done with the FinalGROM. IIRC the master (Gazoo) told me he used Classic99 in it's construction.

Classic99 has the built-in ability to do this for BASIC programs. We've actually released a few cartridge images that do just this over the years. ;)

• Like 2

I tried to play a bit with Karateka because i really liked the graphics and i was curious.
It's very better in Overdrive of course but the game break if the enemy fight and win the karateka... have you this problem too ?

It is also present in the GameBase but without the IntroAnimation, just the second part of the game but it seems to have also the same problem in MESS emulator.

post-24673-0-06759500-1505725045.jpg

Edited by ti99iuc

gee Ciro, I've never managed to get one of the enemies to beat me!

you must really suck! <evil grin>

I'd love to know if the author ever went any further with this project. Anyone know who Michael is and if he's still around?

Edited by PeBo