IGNORED

Looking to buy an Atari 130XE

Bandolito

Personally, I would not pay more than $40 including shipping. But, it all depends how bad you want one.

As of lately, I'd love to see a nice 130XE available for $40. Anything even remotely close to the price are completely neglected and most have issues. 65XE's do not even fall into the $40 range any more.

• Like 1

The Last 65XE I got for $16.50 + $11.90 Shipping, in August. Works perfectly.

The last 130xe I got for $85, not sure about shipping. But it also came with an Indus GT, November of last year. Both work perfectly.

Both purchased on eBay. Of course neither one was guaranteed to work. The 65Xe did not come with power and was as-is, untested.

Like I said, personally I would not pay more than $40, including shipping.

• Like 2

I have a couple of Atari 800s and an Atari 400. I am looking to get a 130XE.

What would be a fair price for a nice, well-kept example?

Some hints for that question...

a.) if you want a PAL machine, you´ve to be prepared that it could contain a bad GTIA. Some PAL XE machines have a faulty GTIA chips making some games not really good to play. This issue can be fixed, but this will cost some money (if you can´t do it by yourself) and / or time

b.) Not dependend on NTSC or PAL... a lot of XE machines have faulty keyboards. Sometimes more than 5 or 10 single keys won´t work. Also fixable, but not really easy - or cheap

c.) Watch out for mostly complete pictures of the unit. The plastic of the XE cases tends to yellow - but not im the same way at all parts! Can look extremly ugly...

So if you want a perfect, "NOS" and 100% working one, buy at BEST Electronics or myAtari. They offer complete new old stock (NOS) systems. If you want get yours at eBay or similar, read the items description carefully, ask for details ("please test all keys, are they working?") and so on.

• Like 2

Wasnt the bad GTIA only in the 65XE (or 800XE) machines ? And didnt have the 130XE not have bad GTIA ?

B&C Computervisions (myatari on Ebay) sells PAL 130XE machines with and without the bad GTIA.

Here's the one with the bad GTIA...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130XE-Atari-PAL-B-New-in-the-Box-but-No-PP-Manual-SN-Bad-GTIA-/141151722044

• Like 2

Wasnt the bad GTIA only in the 65XE (or 800XE) machines ? And didnt have the 130XE not have bad GTIA ?

Not really. Some articles say "only 800 XE models are affected", but I have had also sealed 130 XE on my desk with a bad GTIA. And, I think some people change the mainboard, if the computer were opened once in his lifetime, you can´t be sure that the mainboard is the one produced together with the enclosure.

Yeah I got a buddy deal on a 130xe at a convention with a 320xe RAM expansion. It has a factory new new motherboard. That cost me $150. If you get one for $40, you can count yourself extremely lucky. Best way to do that might be to get some beat up sold 'as is' units and hope they work, then clean the plastics.

They are nice machines, but fair warning, the flaky ram is not understated. I had one for about 7 years that just randomly died one afternoon, half the RAM failed.

• Like 1

Not sure if all of you have noticed but the prices of Atari computers have skyrocketed the last few years and don't expect it to go down anytime soon.

Absolutely true.

About 4 /5 years ago our local advertisement site was "full" of A8 machines, mostly 600 and 800XLs and they went for prices like 25 euro's. I picked up a few of them and I'm really happy I did.

Now, I see them much much less and prices are from somewhere from 75/100 euro's.

It's nuts. On the other hand...glad I was there before the "big bang"...