IGNORED

Retro Replay quick loader function

Pipercub

I have a Retro Replay (2004 edition) that was sitting in a drawer, I am thinking about using it on a second C64 I am setting up. Does anyone know how good it's quick loader function is in terms of speed relative to stock? I did some searching but saw no hard numbers? Also, the manual gives the command to turn the quick load on and off, anyone know if it is on by default?

On this wiki page for the SD2IEC firmware (yes, I know that is an entirely different product), it says that Action Replay Mk 6 has a speed up of 14.3 times the stock speed on a C64 + 1541. A product like JiffyDOS supposedly has a speed up of 6-10 times, depending on if it was saved with JiffyDOS. Due to the fact the SD2IEC has no mechanic parts, you get faster loading times on that one than on a 1541.

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/sd2iec_(firmware)

I'm not entirely sure about the Retro Replay, but I would presume it uses similar or the same turbo routines as in the earlier Action Replay series. In case I'm completely wrong, I'll gladly accept to be corrected but as long as no other reply is given, assume up to 14 times turbo with the cartridge.

Edit: By the way, if you've got a SD2IEC or uIEC/SD you can download a 1581 ROM image and put on the root of the SD card, then issue a SD2IEC specific command that will let it masquerade as a 1581 device using the ROM. It enables the Action Replay, and possibly also Retro Replay, to use its fastloader intended for 1581 drives with the SD2IEC. It is very nifty and very fast. Unfortunately the regular 1541 routine on the AR is a complex story that the SD2IEC is not able to detect and handle, thus you normally don't get any turbo with that combination of hardware.

Edited by carlsson