Photo

Sensible Soccer hard as F***!

16 replies to this topic

#1 UHATEIT OFFLINE  

UHATEIT

Chopper Commander

• 114 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:23 AM

Alright I got myself a copy of Sensible Soccer last week and have played through around 15 games. I have lost every single one of them except for 1 game (a 0-0 tie) and literally have gotten maybe 8 shots on goal in the 15 games TOTAL. Those little buggers just keep stealing the ball away from me. I can't seem to get anything to go well in the game, even on Beginner mode.

it's a soccer game, there couldn't possibly be a learning curve. Anyone else find this game to be fairly tough?

#2 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,474 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 AM

Not a fan of the game on any format, but seem to remember claims the A.I routines were improved or based on a later Amiga version of the game, for Jaguar version.

#3 UHATEIT OFFLINE  

UHATEIT

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 AM

Yeah the computer is pretty tough. Would likely be better playing against a second player I imagine.

#4 LianneJaguar64 OFFLINE  

LianneJaguar64

Moonsweeper

• 436 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 AM

Alright I got myself a copy of Sensible Soccer last week and have played through around 15 games. I have lost every single one of them except for 1 game (a 0-0 tie) and literally have gotten maybe 8 shots on goal in the 15 games TOTAL. Those little buggers just keep stealing the ball away from me. I can't seem to get anything to go well in the game, even on Beginner mode.

it's a soccer game, there couldn't possibly be a learning curve. Anyone else find this game to be fairly tough?

Ha, trying playing the sequel, Sensible World of Soccer, absolutely brutal. Honestly there is definitely a learning curve to sensi, it's a game all of itself. I tend to find going to the edge of the box and shooting with C is the easiest. Also hitting C from the halfway line to hit the ball upfield tends to get me possession in a good scoring area

#5 UHATEIT OFFLINE  

UHATEIT

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:23 AM

I can barely hang onto the ball and make it far enough back mid field to even be able to take a shot, the computer players always seem to steal the ball! I may have better luck with Fever Pitch Soccer

#6 LianneJaguar64 OFFLINE  

LianneJaguar64

Moonsweeper

• 436 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:24 AM

Not a fan of the game on any format, but seem to remember claims the A.I routines were improved or based on a later Amiga version of the game, for Jaguar version.

I adore this game, so we'll have to agree to disagree :P I believe you might be referring to the general update from the Amiga original, where the goalkeepers were made better by amongst other things. But that update was also released on Amiga

#7 Trooper Galactus OFFLINE  

Trooper Galactus

Moonsweeper

• 335 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 AM

Honestly, I just have a sealed copy in my collection and am unlikely to break it open.  Never was a fan of soccer games to begin with.  Kind of odd there are two soccer games,  a snowboarding title, and even a motocross and rally car game for the Jag, but not a single baseball title.  Makes the Jag a bit unique among its contemporaries.

#8 UHATEIT OFFLINE  

UHATEIT

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:30 AM

Honestly, I just have a sealed copy in my collection and am unlikely to break it open.  Never was a fan of soccer games to begin with.  Kind of odd there are two soccer games,  a snowboarding title, and even a motocross and rally car game for the Jag, but not a single baseball title.  Makes the Jag a bit unique among its contemporaries.

I personally am not a soccer fan either, but in attempting to get a full collection I snagged this and Fever Pitch. My Sensible Soccer was loose and the Fever Pitch is still new and sealed so I likely won't open it but Hoping that one is ultimately a bit better than this one. Sensible Soccer came with high reviews, even tho the graphics are terrible. But man it's a hard game!

#9 Trooper Galactus OFFLINE  

Trooper Galactus

Moonsweeper

• 335 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 AM

I personally am not a soccer fan either, but in attempting to get a full collection I snagged this and Fever Pitch. My Sensible Soccer was loose and the Fever Pitch is still new and sealed so I likely won't open it but Hoping that one is ultimately a bit better than this one. Sensible Soccer came with high reviews, even tho the graphics are terrible. But man it's a hard game!

Yeah, I got it for the collection, but I have no intention of ever playing it unless a friend really pesters me to do it or I just decide to really go game-by-game through the entire Jag library.  I generally don't play sports games anyhow, so I don't feel super compelled to do it when I have about thirty games on my current gen systems I haven't touched yet.

#10 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 2,474 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:01 AM

I adore this game, so we'll have to agree to disagree :P I believe you might be referring to the general update from the Amiga original, where the goalkeepers were made better by amongst other things. But that update was also released on Amiga

I loathe football games period..Sensible..Soccer..Kick Off you name it.

I'd heard the Jaguar version was based on later Amiga version and among the improvements were better A.I..but person who made the claim is a serial bullshitter who would consider Jaguar version superior just for being on the Jaguar..so i would keep the salt shaker handy at all times :-))

#11 juansolo OFFLINE  

juansolo

Chopper Commander

• 147 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:20 AM

Never played it on the Jag, but it's my favourite game on the Amiga! It's definitely old school (ie not easy!). Which team you play and who you play against absolutely will effect the difficulty. So if you're playing Acrington Stanley taking on Brazil, you're gonna lose. So certainly playing friendlies, try and choose teams of a similar level ( in the 90's ;) ). Multi-player is where this game utterly shines. Aftertouch on the ball is essential, as is passing. I mainly play my brother at it. But that said I'll play the computer for practice. Also bear in mind that football isn't a goal-fest. Some games are draws, the score might only be 1-0, this is normal.

Honestly persist with it, it's the greatest football game ever made (on the Amiga... no idea of the difference between the Jag version).

#12 madman OFFLINE  

madman

River Patroller

• 2,310 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:35 PM

Haven't played the Jag version much, but I used to play the heck out of the SNES version in the 90's. The graphics weren't much, but had their own unique look and I thought the gameplay was top notch. The controls just "felt" right.

#13 82-T/A OFFLINE  

82-T/A

River Patroller

• 3,450 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:22 PM

Love this game. I used to play it ALL the time with my roommates. I don't think I've ever played against the computer, only against a second player, but man, it just doesn't get better than that.

#14 Sapicco OFFLINE  

Sapicco

Dragonstomper

• 544 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:32 PM

A jag baseball game with MLB teams and players would be neat. Is there an ST game at least that could be ported?

#15 Christos OFFLINE  

Christos

Dragonstomper

• 957 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:43 PM

Never been a fan of sensi either. Best football game I played was Goal! Of course kick off ii is great also. I dont know of any baseball game on the ST but there are excellent tennis games as far as sport games go.

#16 Stephen Moss OFFLINE  

Stephen Moss

Dragonstomper

• 980 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:17 AM

Graphics may not be the best but small less details sprites provides a bigger view of the pitch which is useful. I have won a few games against the computer but it is not easy, which team you control can make a difference as can the players, sometimes changing the formation or subbing the default starter with someone from the bench provides better results (perhaps they are faster/better ball control skills).

I find on tackles the computer team generally dispossess me so pass when the opposition player gets close, use C if you have to but I find B is better, if you aim it at your man he will generally get it. As for shooting as I recall C generally goes high, B low but try to use the D-pad to affect the ball path to try and get the keeper going the wrong way. Also when shoot at goal/into the box try to remember if you hit a high or low shot and get your nearest player to the path of the ball to slide/head as applicable to hopefully deflect the ball path.

European football is not really my thing so I would rather play Troy Aikman than sensible soccer but it is ok for a quick play, what annoys me most is you pressing down to try and get your nearest man to the opponent in possession and the view (and thus your nearest player) changes and to press up otherwise you are now running away from the possession man.

It has been awhile since I played Fever Pitch and that was on an emulator but I think I preferred sensible soccer for the wider pitch view. 

Edited by Stephen Moss, Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:17 AM.

#17 Atlantis OFFLINE  

Atlantis

Dragonstomper

• 976 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:32 AM

Don't remember the Amiga version to be impossible in 1p but think we choose to play good teams like Brazil and let the computer play lets say Malta.

Played lots of the game in two player games against friends where the AI didn't matter. Get a friend on the other controller and be equally bad at it??

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users