IGNORED

FinalGROM99 question

FDOS

I finally have my FG99 in a case ready to use, but had to go shop for a few SD cards as I couldn't find the 3 of the four I use to have (one is being used in my FR99. Anyway I just loaded a new 8GB SDHC card with the FinalGROM99 folder from the WHT ftp site. I get the first screen AOK with DEV, EDU, GAMES, HOMEBREW, & TOOLS folders. No matter which folder I select, I get a garbled checkerboard screen. Sometimes very colorful, changing patterns. I excluded the image-list text file, but then added in case it was required, but that made no difference. What did I do wrong?

As your FlashROM is working fine you know the card in that is OK. It should also be compatible with your FinalGROM module. Assuming you have a back up in case of problems, take the card from the FlashROM and try it in the FinalGROM.

If the FlashROM cartridge image needs the 32k ram then it will still do so, and everything should work as though it was in the FlashROM.

If that fails to work, there is a problem with your FinalGROM somewhere.

If the FlashROM card does work in your FinalGROM, then clear your new card and add folders and files little by little- try one folder with a couple of cartridge images at first. If your new 8G card simply doesn't work- thats the problem.

Does it work if you put a single image on the SD card and start with that?

I could be that your case somehow twists or mangles the cart connector, so that you get a connection problem. Does the FG99 work without the case?

EDIT: In general, SD card issues just cause blinking problems, but never crash the TI 99.

Edited by ralphb

As your FlashROM is working fine you know the card in that is OK. It should also be compatible with your FinalGROM module. Assuming you have a back up in case of problems, take the card from the FlashROM and try it in the FinalGROM. If the FlashROM cartridge image needs the 32k ram then it will still do so, and everything should work as though it was in the FlashROM. If that fails to work, there is a problem with your FinalGROM somewhere. If the FlashROM card does work in your FinalGROM, then clear your new card and add folders and files little by little- try one folder with a couple of cartridge images at first. If your new 8G card simply doesn't work- thats the problem.

OK, the 2GB SD card that I have loaded with the FlasmROM99 carts seems to work in my new FinalGROM99 unit, but

I've only tested one cart, so far; 4A-DOS. Many more to check out. FWIW, I can see all 7 pages of carts that

are loaded. This means that there is a problem with the copy process to SDHC or there is a problem with this

new SanDisk 8GB SDHC card. I have one more like it, then it's go to 16GB SDHC. Does the FG99 require some .bin

files in the root directory?

OK, we know now that my 2GB SD card loaded with FlashROM99 files works, and now I've loaded the second 8GB SanDisk SDHC with just RXB2015, it also basically works. That is, RXB no menu has no apprarent problems, REA also has no apparent problems, RXB with menu, after a short delay, sometimes switches rapidly between two different screens. Therefor I don't believe the case is causing a problem, so I've not removed the case for testing. That coud be dangerous concidering my problematic fingers. I might touch something I shouldn't during removal from the TI module port.

Any other things I should consider?

Bill R Sullivan (FDOS)

At this point, I would recommend my test programs, found in the ZIP but also here: https://github.com/endlos99/finalgrom99/tree/master/images/test

Run addrtest, banktest, and gtest for about 5 minutes each and see if they work. If you cannot start them through the menu, put them on an otherwise empty SD card.

If it crashes or shows an error immediately after the test program starts (i.e., before it cycles through all 128 banks or 5 GROMs), it might be your SD card. If it takes a while to err or crash, it's definitely not the SD card.

FYI, I have two TI-99 Consoles with F18A & USB wireless keyboard operational, at this time, with plans to add a third. Currently using a NanoPEB v1 with one, and a CF7A+ with the other. Also have a v2 NanoPEB, but the serial port never worked. Lots of other TI/Geneve systems, but I've itemized them on here before.

• Like 1

OK, the 2GB SD card that I have loaded with the FlasmROM99 carts seems to work in my new FinalGROM99 unit, but

I've only tested one cart, so far; 4A-DOS. Many more to check out. FWIW, I can see all 7 pages of carts that

are loaded. This means that there is a problem with the copy process to SDHC or there is a problem with this

new SanDisk 8GB SDHC card. I have one more like it, then it's go to 16GB SDHC. Does the FG99 require some .bin

files in the root directory?

Dude, 16GB is overkill for TI software... remove the educational titles and applications (are you really EVER going to load Tax Investments Record Keeping?), and you could save every TI program you ever wanted several times over in that space...a couple cheapo 1GB plain old SD (the 'HC' might be causing you grief) or 2GB if ya think you'll need it.

You can hold a heckuvalot of 8k-32k software in 1GB!

Edited by PeBo
  • Like 1

I remember having three 1GB SD cards besides the one 2GB SD that I used for my FlashROM99. I wasn't able to find them, so I went to four local stores that carry electronic devices as both Radio Shacks were closed down two years ago, but I only found a 16GB SDHC and two 8GB SDHC cards. As stated earlier I have five 1GB SD cards on order. When they arrive I think my problem will be solved.

• Like 1