Photo

what programming language was used for the hobbit (1982)

10 replies to this topic

#1 Jackel192 OFFLINE  

Jackel192

Star Raider

• 94 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 PM

just in case I want to port it to another system

#2 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,381 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:03 PM

just in case I want to port it to another system

Doesn't matter.  If you don't have the source code, you'll be doing a disassembly and porting that way.

#3 tschak909 ONLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,793 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:07 PM

We always get the bright ones, don't we?

-Thom

#4 Jackel192 OFFLINE  

Jackel192

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 94 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:14 PM

then can someone give the source code? i have no idea what to do with disassembled code

#5 tschak909 ONLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,793 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:25 PM

tc4d13e_trek_double_facepalm_by_texanjoe

#6 TMR OFFLINE  

TMR

River Patroller

• 3,347 posts
  • Beeping the horn on the data bus

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:10 AM

then can someone give the source code? i have no idea what to do with disassembled code

To translate the facepalms... the source code was never released because it was, at the time, a commercial product and nobody in their right mind goes around distributing the source for something they're selling since it can be used to recreate said product or produce competing products.

You don't have the skills to port The Hobbit, it's Z80 machine code in it's original form or 6502 machine code for the C64 versions (there are two if memory serves) and, without a solid working knowledge of both the source and target platforms (because you'd have to understand how the source machine handles it's bitmapped screen just to start with), porting something just isn't going to happen.

A slight edit to add that porting code is significantly harder than writing something from scratch. The sensible thing to do as a beginner would be to pick one platform, learn to program it and write your own games. 6502 and the Atari 8-bit are a good starting point and, if you ask sensible questions people will be able to help... assuming you haven't annoyed them already with threads like this one to the point they won't. Then once you have something worth protecting you'll probably have a bit more knowledge of what that entails to actually do it.

Edited by TMR, Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:37 AM.

#7 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

River Patroller

• 4,675 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:22 AM

The Hobbit was also launched for the Apple ][, BBC Micro and Oric 1, to mention a few 6502 based systems to run head first into. Actually the Beeb had two versions according to Wikipedia, the disc version with graphics and the tape version without graphics. Possibly the latter might be the "easiest" task to port to the Atari 8-bit, a text only adventure game.

Then again if someone is seriously interested and willing to learn something about converting binary code, there should be plenty of much easier games to practise on than a 32K+ adventure game.

#8 David_P OFFLINE  

David_P

Dragonstomper

• 812 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 PM

Or run the Apple emulator on your Atari...

#9 bob_er OFFLINE  

bob_er

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:59 PM

If you know/like/understand polish, and you know/like/understand C and LISP, you can port this version to your system: https://www.jfedor.o...dor/hobbit.html
As C/LISP are higher level languages than assembler, your task may be even simpler.

#10 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,078 posts

Posted Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:04 AM

I wonder if Polish + C/Lisp is significantly easier to learn than Z80 assembly  :-D

#11 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,060 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:13 PM

Personally, I would say Z80 Assembly. That's because I already know it.
:)

Would an automated translator work with comments in code?
If so, it shouldn't be too difficult of a project. Both C and LISP are available for Atari.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users