IGNORED

What are the proper settings to use with terminal software?

Zap!

Long story short, I have the WiFi232 by Paul Rickards. Since it has 25 pins, I had to order a 25 to 9 pin RS-232 serial adapter for my computer.

So I hooked up and powered on the WiFi232 and turned on my computer (Atari Mega STE with Taz software). Set the modem to 1200 baud as instructed, and typed ATI. No characters appeared, so I put ECHO on (not sure if this was the right thing to do). The characters now appear when I type (ATI), but when I press return, it just goes back to the A and nothing ever happens. What else do I need to change in the settings? Sorry, it's been 20 years.

I have no idea.

then you probably need a null modem cable or adapter

pm me your address ill mail you a 9 pin crossover / null modem adapter on monday

the pain with serial is you have one talk line and one listen line on the host AND on the device, if you dont take the talk line and send it to the listen line ... or vice versa, you wont get shit

the brillance of RS232 and similar is that no one ever bothered to make a spec or define terms, so you are always fiddling with, well do I need a xover cable or is this plain though and of course this doo whappy has the wrong gender plug on it for my adapter and blah blah blah for F's sakes it finally works but now its too late to do anything with this crap!!!!

Edited by Osgeld

then you probably need a null modem cable or adapter

pm me your address ill mail you a 9 pin crossover / null modem adapter on monday

the pain with serial is you have one talk line and one listen line on the host AND on the device, if you dont take the talk line and send it to the listen line ... or vice versa, you wont get shit

the brillance of RS232 and similar is that no one ever bothered to make a spec or define terms, so you are always fiddling with, well do I need a xover cable or is this plain though and of course this doo whappy has the wrong gender plug on it for my adapter and blah blah blah for F's sakes it finally works but now its too late to do anything with this crap!!!!

Thank you very much for the offer, but the instructions actually say not to use a null. PM sent.

• 2 months later...

It can be frustrating between different hardware. On my TI99, the lines are opposite of the PC "standard." I hardwired my own cables and adapters to match my Mac when they changed their own serial connectors on newer models. Then I had to add a serial to usb adapter when the RS232 port was deleted. Each time it took some finagling. I looked up the connector wiring diagrams and wired TX on one to the RX on the other. Then the term software also has to match. Local Echo lets you see what you're typing on the machine you're at. When it works, you'll see the same text on both. Local Echo with Remote Echo both on gave a never-ending stream of the first letter you typed.

I still have the same cable/software matchup problems now trying ethernet, firewire and such. Some things never change I guess!

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 1