IGNORED

Atari 800/1050/810 power plug size

andrew@meler.us

I reviewed a couple of websites/forum posts that go over power requirements for Atari 800/1050/810.

Getting a "modern" 9V 5A AC adapter should satisfy the power requirements of this equipment.

Does anyone know what is the power plug size?

I'm thinking that something like this should work, assuming the plug size is correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172588182820

Barrel plug size looks all wrong. Checked my old 400 PS, it's 5 mm outer diameter, 12mm long.

The quoted size 2.1 x 5.5 mm - sounds more like the old Nokia phone standard (though measured one, it's more like 2.1 OD x 9 mm length.

But it would seem this one's a DC PS anyway and for 400/800 and power compatible peripherals you need 9V AC.

Misleading auction title - the input is AC like virtually any other but the output is DC.

Barrel plug size looks all wrong. Checked my old 400 PS, it's 5 mm outer diameter, 12mm long.

The quoted size 2.1 x 5.5 mm - sounds more like the old Nokia phone standard (though measured one, it's more like 2.1 OD x 9 mm length.

But it would seem this one's a DC PS anyway and for 400/800 and power compatible peripherals you need 9V AC.

Misleading auction title - the input is AC like virtually any other but the output is DC.

Pretty sure 2.1mm is the diameter of the pin that fits inside (inner diameter of the barrel connector).

5.5x2.1 is the standard size of most everything. IIRC, Atari 5200, Intellivision II, Famicom, NES, Sega Genesis/Megadrive Model 1, Sega Master System, Super Famicom, Atari Jaguar, Japanese Virtual Boy (SNES/US VB was weird).

I recall my Atari 5200 plug looking exactly like my Atari 800 plug so I assumed it was 5.5x2.1 as well. I'll take a look when I next have the chance.

Edited by CZroe