IGNORED

Indus GT and the dreaded G5 read error

Bryan

I've got 2 Indus GT drives here that boot up but won't read anything (that is, they spin but do the Indus error chirp on all read attempts). I've swapped parts around and even pulled FDCs from 1050s. At this point I'm going to have to go through the whole troubleshooting process to see what's happening. But, before I do, has anyone found a common failure point in these drives that will save me the trouble?

I also have 2 in the same condition, only thing I haven't tried yet is a head alignment.

My 1050's pretty much never need an alignment and since they use the same mech, I'm pretty sure it's got to be something else.

EDIT: I'm an idiot... see below!

I guess I could verify the Tandon mechs in a 1050.

• Like 1

Disk errors G3, G4, G5, head need cleaning or disk has bad sector or
alignment on the drive

so, if you've tried known good disks, then you're looking at head cleaning or alignment

Heads have been cleaned and the T0 sensors are working because the drives seek back properly.

I read every thread on the subject and none of them ended with a post that the drive had been fixed. I'll work on them as I get the time and post what I find here.

Hmm - RPM, yeah I think I vaguely remember getting a G5 last due to a disk that couldn't rotate properly in its sleeve.

That problem happens for 2 reasons:

1. The coating of the disk has deteriorated and is no longer slick enough (friction with sleeve and the head).

2. The belt is in need of replacement.

Okay, progress.

Hooked up a 1050 and an Indus side by side. First, I connected the head of the Indus mech to the 1050 (basically, both mechs were connected to their own pcb's except the head wire which was stretched over to the other board. So, if I connect an SIO cable to the 1050 and get both drives spinning, I should be able to read the first track off the Indus mech using the 1050's board.

This did not work.

So, I tried the opposite. I connected the 1050's head to the Indus data separator board. And it loaded (until it needed to step, that is). Okay, the Indus mech is borked. That's actually a relief.

So, I hooked the Indus head back up and started nudging the head back and forth with my finger. I got it to switch from G5 to G4 for a moment, so it does appear to be an alignment issue. I don't know how it got knocked out, but I was certainly wrong in my assumptions.

I have a head alignment disk. Guess I should figure out how to use it.

• Like 5

The GT was my first drive. My dad was a doctor and he had a patient who sold them.

Okay, one of my data separator boards are bad. Swapping them between drives got one working. Unfortunately, one of my main boards quit and now the display just flickers 88 like it's resetting over and over.

• Like 1

About that front cover...

Since there's a spring on only one side, it gradually twists over time leading to that protruding right side. The solution is to take it out and gently heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun as you twist it back. If you do it right it will be perfectly straight. Do it wrong and it'll get extra bends in it. Overheat it (possible with the heat gun) and you'll need to throw it in the trash. :)

Then, leave it in the open position.

• Like 3

That's good advice for when it's stored away in a box, but for someone who has theirs out and in use, it's a rather odd suggestion considering it's purpose. :)

What it really needs is a different kind of spring. The tension is very high when the door is closed.

What it really needs is a different kind of spring. The tension is very high when the door is closed.

Yes, most likely.

Your suggestion worked for me; I think I did it back in 2013. I can't remember at this point whether I used a hair dryer or a heat gun.

I don't have before pictures (it was moderately twisted) but here are the after pictures.

The surface was also somewhat scratched up; I used a headlight polishing kit to get it back to like-new condition.

post-6369-0-12529500-1506100167_thumb.jpg

post-6369-0-75976500-1506098263_thumb.jpg

post-6369-0-65939600-1506098284_thumb.jpg

post-6369-0-83262100-1506098307_thumb.jpg

post-6369-0-40736200-1506098326_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 5

Novus plastic polishes, your plastic restoration best friends :)

That's nice and straight, mine are just a bit bent, not worth messing with yet.

I looked at Novus (heard some suggestions here on the forums before) and I think it was either more expensive than what I ended up getting or harder to get (shipping time, etc.).

With the results I got, I don't think anything could be improved upon. It really looks as close to perfect as it can be.