IGNORED

Sega CD Power Issues

Smack2k

Having an issue with my Sega CD Model 1 where the unti will seem to power on for a second or two (both red and green lights come on) and it then powers off. If you continue to power on the Genesis attached to the CD, nothing happens until you unplug the system completely and plug it back in or pull the genesis out of the connector with the CD and push it back in. I know after reading varying posts on different sites that the fuse on the Power Board can be the issue, but I have replaced the fuse and it has continuity when tested with a multimeter. I also replaced the resistor that sits to the left of the fuse on the same side of the Power Board and it seems fine in testing. I have tested this with 3 different model 1 Genesis consoles with the same issue happening each time. The connector on the Genesis has been cleaned with an eraser and alcohol to make sure it wasnt the issue as well. I also cleaned all the connectors on the CD (the connectors that attach the main board to the CD, the connectors that attach the main board and power board, and the connectors that attach the Genesis to the Main Board).

I am using a 9V RetroVersal Power Adapter for the CD and the Genesis for Power as I dont have a 1602 Power Supply for either. The Power Supply is drawing between 9 - 9.67V when tested.

I read somewhere that the CD Unit could possibly cause this due to not being setup right, but I dont remember the specifics or if that is even a correct assumption.

Looking for some advice here on what steps I can take next to try and rectify this issue and get the CD working properly. Are there things I can test on the boards themselves?

And that is your issue...

Those generic power supplies do NOT generate enough current to power everything properly.

You need to use two actual Genesis power supplies or similar that have these minimum specs:

9v output DC

1amp output

Center tip negative polarity.

Anything less and I wouldn't even try...

If I have power supplies that are the same specs but not Genesis actual supplies, could I use those to test with? I dont want to buy 2 1602 Power Supplies (they look a bit costly at around 20 bucks each) to find out its another issue that isnt fixable.....

If I have power supplies that are the same specs but not Genesis actual supplies, could I use those to test with? I dont want to buy 2 1602 Power Supplies (they look a bit costly at around 20 bucks each) to find out its another issue that isnt fixable.....

Yes. Has to be same voltage with similar current rating (higher is fine) and correct polarity.

350MA is what it's labeled as

I thought you posted the wrong numbers, but damn! After looking it up that one is really rated at .350 amps!?!

That Is next to worthless, all of the consoles that it "supports" want 9-10v and .850 to 1.1 amps!

The only oem ac adapter that I know that IS .350amps is the Genesis 3 - which this doesn't have connectors for.

All the other generic ac adapters I have used are at least .850.

Classic Game Room reviewed this adapter with a SNES and I'm surprised it turned on. Skip to 3:40 and you can seen the picture is TERRIBLE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfqpNSWVxY0&ytbChannel=null

This site has all the sega power info you need to know:

http://www.gametrog.com/GAMETROG/How_which_do_i_need_SEGA_AC_Power_Supply_Information_Specs_Model_mk-3025_mk-1602_mk-2103_mk-1479_mk-4122_aa-s95j.html

Edited by H454