Atari 400 / 800 Mini Possibility?

AtGames Flashback Crowd Funding

31 replies to this topic

#26 ilaskey OFFLINE  

ilaskey

Chopper Commander

• 219 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:42 AM

Not sure I see the point. I love the original hardware, all the celever design points, the quality and look of the  boxes, documentation etc. If it's not original, with that warm fluffy feeling, it may as well be an emulator on your PC. I can't see what cloned hardware gives us that an emulator doesn't apart from a few edge cases where you might have one to use with the main TV as opposed to your PC monitor.

#27 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,010 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:05 AM

If it was going to be an emulated Atari then whose emu would be used and depending on the emu, how close is it to the real thing..

I'm one of those people that wants an item that works very well and not just something that works well with a selection of stuff that is hand picked for it.

I'm sure many would like the idea but as I have hardware and the best emu out there I don't need it but I'm sure there would be a small market for it..

Edit: As the Atari roms would really need to be used and they have not been made public domain, how much would that cost for such a small market..

Edited by Mclaneinc, Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:08 AM.

#28 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,898 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:22 AM

Not sure I see the point. I love the original hardware, all the celever design points, the quality and look of the  boxes, documentation etc. If it's not original, with that warm fluffy feeling, it may as well be an emulator on your PC. I can't see what cloned hardware gives us that an emulator doesn't apart from a few edge cases where you might have one to use with the main TV as opposed to your PC monitor.

That's always in the back of one's mind with these things and always a valid point, but the reality is is that there is a demand for new hardware. For all its charms, vintage hardware can be finicky, and there is certainly some streamlining that can happen with the newer stuff that makes the experience smoother, if not quite as authentic. Certainly an FPGA experience is a more idealized realization than a specialized "soft" emulation box, but ultimately it's just a different approach to the same problem, at least until the FPGA stuff is more common.

#29 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,010 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:02 AM

And thankfully, easily updatable...

#30 Hwlngmad OFFLINE  

Hwlngmad

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 101 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:41 PM

If a retro 400/800 system were to be done, I would much prefer something along the lines of the ZX Spectrum Next or the Armiga 500 that I came across. I just think with the retro market heating up, I think a Atari 400/800 product is a no-brainer. But, I do wonder if it could be something viable and able to be pulled off.

#31 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,733 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 PM

Not likely that present-day atari would allow for such a thing. And definitely not if it began here on AtariAge - not with all the jabbing and negativeness flying around in the ataribox threads.

#32 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,733 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 PM

If it was going to be an emulated Atari then whose emu would be used and depending on the emu, how close is it to the real thing..

I'm one of those people that wants an item that works very well and not just something that works well with a selection of stuff that is hand picked for it.

I'm sure many would like the idea but as I have hardware and the best emu out there I don't need it but I'm sure there would be a small market for it..

Edit: As the Atari roms would really need to be used and they have not been made public domain, how much would that cost for such a small market..

Some things.. The Armiga box is geared toward game playing. I couldn't see it being used for much more. And I'm not sure how well the on-screen keyboard works. And that's ok. I'm sure it does well in its position in the market.

I'm essentially the same way as yourself, but with Apple II hardware and AppleWin emulator. They both complement and bridge each other very nicely. And emulator accuracy compared to real hardware is always a paramount consideration. Perhaps these mini-boxes can complement real hardware and emulators.

As far as which emulator goes. It would have to be using the most full-featured one. And likely that'd be Altirra at present. And I understand that Altirra has it's own BIOS and OS, among other additional 3rd party DOS'es like SpartaDOS. So I think that covers the ROM/BIOS issues.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AtGames, Flashback, Crowd Funding

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users