Photo

If anyone out there is bored...

19 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• 10,494 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:05 PM

This old TRS-80 game while very simple is addicting as heck, so if anyone wanted to convert it into TI format and maybe even add some fancy screen display routines, I'm sure it'll get a lot of play.  It could even be used as 'starter code' for a more advanced version.  Anyway even in just BASIC or Extended BASIC, it'll be fun and could give a newbie coder some enjoyment. 

Spoiler

Who knows, if the finished product is good enough, someone here might even convert it into an FR99/FG99 .BIN.  :)  :thumbsup:

#2 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Chopper Commander

• 147 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:22 PM

I'm pretty sure Hamurabi goes back to early university mainframe days, I actually converted this from a big book of basic games back in the early 80's but I have no idea where any of my TI tapes are or if they even survived post moving out of my mom's house. She was kind of ruthless with the stuff we left. In retrospect it was weird behavior for someone who claims to be a genealogist. :-)

#3 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,669 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:07 PM

The most popular derivative of this game is probably Santa Paravia and Fiumaccio

#4 Mad Hatter OFFLINE  

Mad Hatter

Chopper Commander

• 240 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 10:53 AM

There is a version of this available as a door game for Heatwave.  Unfortunately it isn't being used as I recall it was quite buggy and would crash the BBS.

#5 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,711 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 12:51 PM

There is a version of this available as a door game for Heatwave.  Unfortunately it isn't being used as I recall it was quite buggy and would crash the BBS.

I recall a few versions of the program out there long ago, for XB and/or BASIC. Certainly not a new game.  IIRC, the heatwave door game was converted for BBS use by another SysOp.  The program was pretty ugly and prone to crashing; I didn't deem it worth my time to try to fix it  ;)

#6 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,926 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 10:50 PM

An excellent version was released by TI

gallery_11132_2023_413.png  gallery_11132_2023_101.png

gallery_11132_2023_26812.jpg

#7 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,494 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 11:25 PM

Ooooooh! Nice... Listing?

#8 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,926 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 11:55 PM

Ooooooh! Nice... Listing?

Attached File  hammurabi.txt   9.37KB   17 downloads

The program was in the book BASIC Computer Games from 1978.

Edited by sometimes99er, Mon Oct 2, 2017 12:38 AM.

#9 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

TI-Runner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,494 posts

Posted Mon Oct 2, 2017 7:02 AM

attachicon.gifhammurabi.txt

Many thanks!  I saved it.  Since I have day off tomorrow, I'm going to enjoy and play it!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#10 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,669 posts

Posted Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:39 PM

Hammurabi was also one of the early programs Apple sold for the Apple II along with Star Trek.

#11 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,926 posts

Posted Sun Oct 8, 2017 3:38 AM

Many thanks!  I saved it.  Since I have day off tomorrow, I'm going to enjoy and play it!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

You're welcome. So, did you enjoy it?

#12 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Chopper Commander

• 147 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:15 AM

attachicon.gifhammurabi.txt

That is the book I used

#13 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,926 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:33 AM

I borrowed that book from the library, and we (Morten or Bjarke) typed in Hammurabi on a PDP-something. It had no display, just typewriter, and used papertape for storage. Luckily that was all we did as we got ABC-80 and Sinclair (Timex) computers. Apart from TI-59 and Atari VCS.

gallery_11132_2023_3365.jpg

#14 schmitzi OFFLINE  

schmitzi

River Patroller

• 3,844 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:06 PM

Sounds a little bit like LA-36-Terminal on a PDP-11/34  :)  :lust:

#15 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,169 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:33 PM

ASCII tapes are fun. . .

#16 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Chopper Commander

• 147 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:52 PM

I borrowed that book from the library, and we (Morten or Bjarke) typed in Hammurabi on a PDP-something. It had no display, just typewriter, and used papertape for storage. Luckily that was all we did as we got ABC-80 and Sinclair (Timex) computers. Apart from TI-59 and Atari VCS.

gallery_11132_2023_3365.jpg

Looks exactly like the paper tape terminal I used in the Army in my RATT rig.

#17 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,169 posts

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 AM

And I was the guy who had to fix those teletypes when one of the users used creative modification techniques on them. (Like the fist print I found in the center of the keys on a Model 28 keyboard--the fist smashed all of the keys in that area down because the user was mad at his girlfriend and decided destroying something would be fun stress relief. He was not amused when he got the bill for the replacement parts.)

#18 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,926 posts

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 AM

I managed to lose my rifle when I was in the army. I had to pay $855 to cover the loss. I'm starting to understand why a Navy captain always goes down with his ship.

#19 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 666 posts

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:42 AM

I managed to lose my rifle when I was in the army. I had to pay $855 to cover the loss. I'm starting to understand why a Navy captain always goes down with his ship.

So you were  'that guy'  ;)

#20 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Dragonstomper

• 937 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:16 PM

This old TRS-80 game while very simple is addicting as heck, so if anyone wanted to convert it into TI format and maybe even add some fancy screen display routines, I'm sure it'll get a lot of play.  It could even be used as 'starter code' for a more advanced version.  Anyway even in just BASIC or Extended BASIC, it'll be fun and could give a newbie coder some enjoyment. 

Spoiler

Who knows, if the finished product is good enough, someone here might even convert it into an FR99/FG99 .BIN.  :)  :thumbsup:

There was actually a good TI BASIC rendition of this on one in the IUG library.... 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users