Photo

a few decades too late, an Adam question

7 replies to this topic

#1 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Moonsweeper

• 395 posts

Posted Sun Oct 8, 2017 10:25 PM

What's the deal with the two hidden keyboard keys that are only revealed when the case is opened?

Edited by towmater, Sun Oct 8, 2017 10:28 PM.

#2 adamcon OFFLINE  

adamcon

Moonsweeper

• 296 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 6:18 AM

What's the deal with the two hidden keyboard keys that are only revealed when the case is opened?

That is a good question around which may theories swirl.  Actually I think there are some pretty good theories, but at the moment I am blank on remembering them.

#3 TPR OFFLINE  

TPR

Stargunner

• 1,682 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 7:08 AM

Pictures, please! 

#4 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,776 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 9:15 AM

Special function keys, probably, that were never implemented in the final product.

#5 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 26,412 posts

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 9:32 AM

Pictures, please! 

Yeah I second that.  

#6 Dr. D. OFFLINE  

Dr. D.

Space Invader

• 42 posts
  • Healer of Appliances

Posted Mon Oct 9, 2017 9:42 AM

Special function keys, probably, that were never implemented in the final product.

According to my recollection of poring over the keyboard 6801 disassembly by Chris Braymen, they are not even decoded in the row/column matrix (i.e., pressing them is not detected, and no ASCII code is assigned to them).  It would not surprise me, however, if there were development versions made for R&D internal use for debugging prototype systems, to trigger breakpoints.  (Some of you might remember that old Macs had "programmer buttons" on the side that could break into a running program and dump you into a debugger.)  Or perhaps they were used in some final hardware test of the key/matrix units before they were assembled into cases.

I will dig out my 6801 listings and take a closer look.  It has been over a decade...

*Dr. D.*

#7 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:40 AM

I would be interested in knowing it too - I did see that they are not decoded when I tested them myself.

#8 mozartpc27 OFFLINE  

mozartpc27

Chopper Commander

• 146 posts

Posted Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 AM

Wait, what?  They ADAM has, like, wisdom teeth?

Pictures for sure!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users