IGNORED

CX40 with microswitches?

VicViper

Did atari ever manufacture an "original" style joystick with microswitches? I've gotten one in a lot from Craigslist and it's a bit unusual. I suppose it's not Technically microswitches, there is an entire plastic frame under the top of the joystick, and each of the directionals for the stick has its own spring mounted inside the plastic frame. I'll post an imgur album later if this is something odd enough to warrant everyone taking a look, I've never seen one that wasn't just the plastic bubble membranes.doesnt look like a home hack, very professional. Of course, it doesn't work.

Edited by VicViper

Sounds like you're describing a CX10 "heavy sixer" joystick.

FWIW I've modded CX40s and other joysticks with microswitches, and I'll never go back to dome switches for them. :twisted: :-D

Yeah that's it. I've been messing with Atari stuff for a great many years, can't believe I'd never seen one like this.

Just replaced the 9 pin cable real quick and cleaned out the contacts. WOW. What a difference between these and the CX40. I see why people pay the premium for them. Wish mine still had the hex sticker on top, looks like the sticker is worth more than the joystick!

Yea, The CX10 is Really nice. Just slightly more toward an arcade stick. Its my go-to for stuff with fine, quick direction change - like H.E.R.O. Like it a little more than the best electronics gold board upgrade on the cx40, but thats a close second.

Did atari ever manufacture an "original" style joystick with microswitches? I've gotten one in a lot from Craigslist and it's a bit unusual. I suppose it's not Technically microswitches, there is an entire plastic frame under the top of the joystick, and each of the directionals for the stick has its own spring mounted inside the plastic frame. I'll post an imgur album later if this is something odd enough to warrant everyone taking a look, I've never seen one that wasn't just the plastic bubble membranes.doesnt look like a home hack, very professional. Of course, it doesn't work.

They are not microswitches, but that joystick is a godsend for me. That model was from the original CA manufactured 2600s and had a metal Atari badge on the top of it that was glued onto the end of the JS. But the reason it is a godsend for me is that the regular sticks cramp my hands and the "suspension model" (which I call it) has much greater travel is much easier on the hands. They are incredibly difficult to find. Mine was bought in a flea market in the 90s on the East Coast.

Sounds like you're describing a CX10 "heavy sixer" joystick.

FWIW I've modded CX40s and other joysticks with microswitches, and I'll never go back to dome switches for them. :twisted: :-D

Any chance you can upload some pics with part numbers? This is something I would like to do.

Edited by christo930

The "sticker" is a metal plate and there is a forum member making reproductions from brass that look really nice. I think he's selling them for $2.50 each, if I'm not mistaken. Do a quick forum search and you will probably find the thread pretty easily. :-D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269777-cx-10-joystick-hex-disc-dimensions/

The "sticker" is a metal plate and there is a forum member making reproductions from brass that look really nice. I think he's selling them for $2.50 each, if I'm not mistaken. Do a quick forum search and you will probably find the thread pretty easily. :-D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269777-cx-10-joystick-hex-disc-dimensions/?p=3853790