IGNORED

Xbox 360 S Mod/Repair Service/Questions

Greg2600

I have a 360S, 250GB HDD. Interested in getting it modded, while also installing a 2TB drive. I could do the HDD myself probably. However, the DVD drive has problem reading discs, and may need a repair of the laser or the whole drive. Furthermore, in getting all this done, is it advised to have the thermal paste redone or anything like that to increase the life span?

Thanks.

Only if the person knows what they are doing. I repaired many Xbox 360s that were previously worked by other people who did not know how to install thermal paste. Only takes a little bit, and I've worked on many where people put so much paste on it that it was all over the board around it. If you have installed thermal paste before and know what you are doing then do it, if not make sure whoever does do it knows what they are doing.

EDIT:

I would try cleaning the lens first in the DVD drive. I use a q-tip dipped in alcohol to clean them, after taking the drive apart but I think they make a disk with a cleaner on it you can buy.

Edited by SignGuy81

I would not be modding/repairing myself, not good at that. I have little to no wish to be online with the system either. I want one modded to the same extent as my original to load games on it. As for the disc drive, I know the disc cleaners you refer to, didn't help. Unrecognized Disc is all I get.

Just 360 games. I tried a few original Xbox games, and after DL the update those worked. I have 360 games with no scratches at all, it's still unrecognized. Bizarre but the person I got it from said they had no errors, although they could have been playing off the HDD for awhile.

Edited by Greg2600

It's always been my understanding that those are because the dvd drive has been replaced, which will not allow you to play xbox 360 games. The DVD drives are tied to the motherboard with a drive key and they must match in order for you to be able to play 360 disc games. So probably the only way you will be able to play 360 disc games now is if you do mod it.

• Like 2

It's always been my understanding that those are because the dvd drive has been replaced, which will not allow you to play xbox 360 games. The DVD drives are tied to the motherboard with a drive key and they must match in order for you to be able to play 360 disc games. So probably the only way you will be able to play 360 disc games now is if you do mod it.

I am in fact aware of that hiccup. I could see if say the drive couldn't read BluRay's due to the strong laser output needed or whatever, but 360 is standard DVD! This was a family though, and I can't imagine they would have replaced it only to not have it work. Also, it's a Halo Reach silver version, and the drive tray matches. I just don't think it was replaced. FWIW, the case sticker seal in the back is not broken.

Edited by Greg2600

I am in fact aware of that hiccup. I could see if say the drive couldn't read BluRay's due to the strong laser output needed or whatever, but 360 is standard DVD! This was a family though, and I can't imagine they would have replaced it only to not have it work. Also, it's a Halo Reach silver version, and the drive tray matches. I just don't think it was replaced. FWIW, the case sticker seal in the back is not broken.

I went back and reread the post and where you said it said not recognized or something similar I thought you just meant it wasn't recognized and probably that it actually said "DVD Movie" when you put a game in. Does it say instead unrecognized disc or something similar other than saying it is a movie? If the drive was swapped it will say the game is a movie. So if it is saying something different then maybe it could be another issue.

I had assumed that since you said it plays movies fine that the drive was okay but maybe the laser has to be stronger for reading games for whatever reason, and perhaps the laser is failing but still good enough for movies. I would first take the drive completely apart and take a q-tip and clean the lens that way, may work better than the cleaning disc method tried previously. If that doesn't work I would look for the same model drive and replace it, you will just have to swap the board from the old drive to the new drive since it has the dvd key that is needed.