IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard Pre-order & Interest Thread

MacRorie

Hi, I would be keen on a 2A but I would need to confirm this would be for a PAL build, and the PSU listed in the BOM states 90v-264v which I have not seen before, this would be OK on our 250v 50Hz in NZ?. Cheers.

PAL/NTSC: You can call the option of the PAL/NTSC. The bonus part of this machine is that with the addition of a few chips and a crystal you can have BOTH! It is hard wired that way. All you have to do is swap out the *socketed* crystal with the opposing crystal and swap out PAL/NTSC Atari LSI chips with their counterparts. It is truly the first Atari (real iron) that can do both in the same unit with a MINIMUM of effort.

POWER SUPPLY: The benefit of the power supply is that it will work on all known country voltages/frequency schemes whilst supplying steady voltage necessary for the power board.

Tl;dr: Yes, it will work as a PAL machine and work well in New Zealand.

On reflection I wont go for the bundle and I will buy the PCB and just buy the parts as I can afford for them, I also need to build the JOY2PIC first.

That is certainly your decision. If I might suggest, I would save up to buy the kit all at once as you will end up spending quite a bit more trying to buy the parts from multiple vendors. You will end up spending *quite* a bit more not to mention the time involved. I mean I am buying for multiple units at a time and it still involves a lot of leg work and packages and checking and double-checking and waiting.

However, at the end of the day, it is always your decision. Feel free to PM me with what ever you wish to purchase.

• Like 1

That is certainly your decision. If I might suggest, I would save up to buy the kit all at once as you will end up spending quite a bit more trying to buy the parts from multiple vendors. You will end up spending *quite* a bit more not to mention the time involved. I mean I am buying for multiple units at a time and it still involves a lot of leg work and packages and checking and double-checking and waiting.

However, at the end of the day, it is always your decision. Feel free to PM me with what ever you wish to purchase.

Let me 2nd MacRorie on this as I'm see shipping cost becoming a large cost factor as well as delays to this project. If I had to do it over I would have purchased my boards and the kit from Mac!!!!

Mike

Let me 2nd MacRorie on this as I'm see shipping cost becoming a large cost factor as well as delays to this project. If I had to do it over I would have purchased my boards and the kit from Mac!!!!

Mike

Thanks for this, Mike! Just to let people know, I have purchased parts for multiple units and have them (finally!) organized into my workshop so I can pull them out with relative ease. There are 115 discrete parts with 200 total parts from 10-12 different vendors. Parts go in and out of stock and prices fluctuate. Believe you me, it's . . . . involved.

I mean, I (kinda) knew what I was getting into, but I just want everyone to know where it is at. Everyone can CERTAINLY do it a little at a time, just realize it will be a long (and ultimately more expensive) process. I am happy to help. Okay, time to get off of the computer and get back to soldering up 1088XELs and Ultimate Carts and UnoCarts and other stuff.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, I'll revisit in the new year, I have ordered the JOY2PIC and will start on this. I also need to take stock of the custom Atari chips and sockets I can use from a donor which should save me some money. Cheers!

Thanks for the advice, I'll revisit in the new year, I have ordered the JOY2PIC and will start on this. I also need to take stock of the custom Atari chips and sockets I can use from a donor which should save me some money. Cheers!

Cool. Just to remind everyone, I have all of the parts/PCBs for JOPY2PIC available as either a kit or in assembled form. See pricing in post#1

• Like 1

I have ordered the JOY2PIC and will start on this. I also need to take stock of the custom Atari chips and sockets I can use from a donor which should save me some money. Cheers!

Sockets are cheap and readily available online. Seriously, don't try to salvage any from any existing system! You're asking for trouble if you try to desolder something that ungainly and flimsy.

• Like 1

Cool. Just to remind everyone, I have all of the parts/PCBs for JOPY2PIC available as either a kit or in assembled form. See pricing in post#1

Excellent news! I'll be ordering one of those (and probably the CF card stuff) at some point in the week or three after Christmas. :)

Sockets are cheap and readily available online. Seriously, don't try to salvage any from any existing system! You're asking for trouble if you try to desolder something that ungainly and flimsy.

Sorry I meant SIO specifically. Would it not be advisable to use the cartridge connector? Or extract the PIA IC? Or the Pokeys?

Sorry I meant SIO specifically. Would it not be advisable to use the cartridge connector? Or extract the PIA IC? Or the Pokeys?

Having done repairs on a cartridge port of an 800XL, I would advise NOT trying to use that as a donor. If the ICs are socketed, sure.

The SIO port is probably big enough and the pins far enough apart to desolder successfully. If the chips on the donor are socketed, of course they can be reused. I don't know if I'd suggest desoldering the cartridge connector though (I'm with Mac on this). If the donor chips are soldered rather than socketed, whether you can reuse them depends entirely on how well you can remove them from their existing home without damaging them. It's not something I'd recommend for all 5 of the main 40-pin ICs on an Atari (6502C, PIA, POKEY, ANTIC and GTIA). That's a lot of pins of to remove cleanly without either damaging a chip leg or inadvertently overheating one of the chips and killing it. If you have a lot of experience I'm sure it CAN be done but it seems an unnecessary risk to me.

The SIO port is probably big enough and the pins far enough apart to desolder successfully. If the chips on the donor are socketed, of course they can be reused. I don't know if I'd suggest desoldering the cartridge connector though (I'm with Mac on this). If the donor chips are soldered rather than socketed, whether you can reuse them depends entirely on how well you can remove them from their existing home without damaging them. It's not something I'd recommend for all 5 of the main 40-pin ICs on an Atari (6502C, PIA, POKEY, ANTIC and GTIA). That's a lot of pins of to remove cleanly without either damaging a chip leg or inadvertently overheating one of the chips and killing it. If you have a lot of experience I'm sure it CAN be done but it seems an unnecessary risk to me.

Thanks, ill definitely heed this advice. :thumbsup: I know some are socketed, like the Antic, but some chips had been poached by the prior owner including the Sally and I think the Pokey from memory, I already used the GITA to repair my current XL , on a side note these missing IC's weren't detailed on the eBay sale :mad: Ill go with Mikes kit I think. :D

Edited by Lavalamp

Excellent news! I'll be ordering one of those (and probably the CF card stuff) at some point in the week or three after Christmas. :)

DrV I'm holding a completed, tested, working Joy2Pic-STIK for you. At cost pricing of $15 (the assembly was free ;-)​ ) plus $5 shipping. Let me know if you have changed your mind?

Mike

post-16380-0-47037400-1513899474_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Started my build tonight - Just wanted to take a second and give a quick shout-out to MacRorie and his kit. He's taken the time to label each of these resistors - small-quantity items are labeled individually with part numbers, and larger-quantity items are labeled with the resistance value. Thanks for doing that instead of just dumping everything into a great big ol' bag of parts (as I've seen other people do for hobbyist projects). Much appreciated, man! :)

post-30400-0-34673600-1514510988_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Payment made for Realan case. Many thanks for your patience!

Got it. Thanks.

On a related note, the first 5 UAV boards arrived yesterday. I will send these out to the DIY people and start putting them in the assembled ones. More are scheduled to be arriving soon.

• Like 1

Got it. Thanks.

On a related note, the first 5 UAV boards arrived yesterday. I will send these out to the DIY people and start putting them in the assembled ones. More are scheduled to be arriving soon.

Fantastic! If you want to hold off sending mine, I’m probably going to send you more $$ Friday for parts to build an XEL-CF board while I’m at it. :)

Strolling through Walmart today I saw a keyboard that I'm going to get for my PC, but I thought I'd share here, since if I was going to have a 1088XEL in an ITX tower, this is the keyboard i'd use for it.

post-149-0-14642300-1515008991_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Strolling through Walmart today I saw a keyboard that I'm going to get for my PC, but I thought I'd share here, since if I was going to have a 1088XEL in an ITX tower, this is the keyboard i'd use for it.

Doubt it’s compatible - never heard of a color-shifting PS/2 keyboard. :)

Doubt it’s compatible - never heard of a color-shifting PS/2 keyboard. :)

Yeah, I forgot the 1088XEL uses PS/2 instead of USB. But you can always get LED back-lighting strips and DIY. I already ordered some to back-light my 1200XL keyboard.

Maybe with an adapter...

Edited by Gunstar

As DrV pointed out, that one probably isn't PS/2 compatible. However this one says it is.

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000DPI-LED-Backlit-USB-Ergonomic-Gaming-Keyboard-Gamer-Mouse-Sets-Mouse-Pad/253308198156?hash=item3afa585d0c:m:mVDpVwQroth7SuF_IMMVOFg

Not sure how the color changing LED's work. Or in other words if they require a special program on the PC to activate.

• Like 3