IGNORED

Why I decided to auction off my outsized, decades-built collection

Bill, will you be updating this thread with the auction link details once it becomes available? It seems some stuff will be put online?

Quote: "Bodnar’s Auction has agreed to put my 100 best items up (although, honestly, that’s going to be hard for me to figure out) for auction online as well as at physical auction. Everything else will be strictly physical auction. The timetable right now looks like the auction will take place some time in March or April 2018, and may be part of their grand opening event at what they expect to be a new permanent location (still in New Jersey)."

Edited by romeoteknik

I wonder if there are 2 books in the making here.

One just a "picture book" with small paragraphs on what is in the picture to document the whole collection (Title: "Collecting Systems")

a second book instead more introspective documenting the how/why you've got to the point you've got to (Title;"Collecting System: behind the scenes") with this time some pictures of "piles of systems", the basement corners etc...

Bill, will you be updating this thread with the auction link details once it becomes available? It seems some stuff will be put online?

Quote: "Bodnar’s Auction has agreed to put my 100 best items up (although, honestly, that’s going to be hard for me to figure out) for auction online as well as at physical auction. Everything else will be strictly physical auction. The timetable right now looks like the auction will take place some time in March or April 2018, and may be part of their grand opening event at what they expect to be a new permanent location (still in New Jersey)."

Yes, either here or in a new thread (if I forget about this one).

I wonder if there are 2 books in the making here.

One just a "picture book" with small paragraphs on what is in the picture to document the whole collection (Ttile: "Collecting Systems")

a second book instead more introspective documenting the how/why you go to the point you got (Title;"Collecting System: behind the scenes") with this time pictures of "piles of systems", the basement corners etc....

Someone other than me would have to do it since I have my hands full in getting things somewhat ready for collection. The first clean-out happens on the 22nd, where mostly the items that will be featured on the online portion will be taken away, and then the second and final clean-out happens the last week of December.

I do regret that I just never had the time to truly do a deep dive in documenting/exploring my collection in terms of making more videos, articles, books, etc., but that would have had to have been a full-time job just on its own.

• Like 1

Are you experiencing any of the lottery winner's curse with people beating down your door for deals and first dibs?

Yes, lots of people coming out of the woodwork wanting stuff. 99.9% of the time I had to say "no," simply because I just want to do everything through the auction house for a variety of reasons. Anyway, I don't blame people for asking, but I have made and will continue to make clear that it's really not an option.

You know I enjoyed your story Bill. It comes aligned very similar to many collectors out there and hope it might help others in the future with decisions to be made in life. It's always inspiring to hear the choice of family first, as I know of some folks who obsess too much with "collecting" that they forget the real importance of family.

I know in the future as my kids get older whatever they do not take with them will come into contention for me anyhow as I probably won't bother keeping everything. I am hoping pass downs can be done with kids and grandkids in my case. The one thing though is I would not want any of them to fall into the "collecting is my life" category and would rather sell anything they wanted than let them take that plunge.

Edited by Professor Gull
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im down to a Heavy Sixer, and an Nes. Im thinking about adding an Intellivision . Thats it. And I emulate mostly on my laptop for the 2600 via Stella. I hardly play my Heavy Sixer or my nes.

Do the Intellivision. Actually, I think I've seen you in the forums there. Welcome to the crazy bunch!

An update for those interested in what's going to become of my videogame and computer collection... A team from Bodnar's Auction came today for the first of three inventory and haul away visits. It sounds like they'll try and take everything over two days at the end of December, and then set a date in March tied to a grand opening event for what they expect to be their new location. All contracts are officially in place and it seems like they're genuinely excited about all the stuff and making this an event. Although it's still obviously a bit bittersweet for me on a personal level, overall I feel really great about this.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be bittersweet at all. Get some spending cash, get extra room, no more mental burden, a clear way ahead.. Win all around.

Yes, I'll have piece of mind, free, hopefully enough funds to pay off some big things in our lives, etc. But it's definitely bittersweet in the sense that I didn't buy all that stuff to collect it, but to actually use it. My only regret will be not getting to use everything.

I've also pretty much decided that I'm keeping nothing. There's still time (about 30 days) to change my mind, but I think 100% liquidation is the way to go.

I learned early on that I'd never have enough time to play to completion even 1/10th of the Apple II games I accumulated. I still use my Apple II stuff on occasion, but it's mostly for sentimental value. Nothing my i7 and i9 can't do better. So don't feel bad about having not used it - you'd be playing the stuff 24/7 - and that's not fun.

So far over the past 10 odd years I've been good about not adding new classic systems, consoles or computers. Emulation has seen to that in a good way. Regarding PCs, they come and go. Sometimes there's 9 or 10 around, or 3. It's all commodity stuff except for my one and first 486 - It's a keeper.

An update for those interested in what's going to become of my videogame and computer collection... A team from Bodnar's Auction came today for the first of three inventory and haul away visits. It sounds like they'll try and take everything over two days at the end of December, and then set a date in March tied to a grand opening event for what they expect to be their new location. All contracts are officially in place and it seems like they're genuinely excited about all the stuff and making this an event. Although it's still obviously a bit bittersweet for me on a personal level, overall I feel really great about this.

Is there some reason they are only putting 100 of the "best" items online for sale? How many collectors are possibly going to be able to travel to a specific physical location to bid on stuff? It seems like a lot of potential value is being left on the table and that it would have been better to just go with Ebay valet or some other service that can get you the maximum possible audience.

Is there some reason they are only putting 100 of the "best" items online for sale? How many collectors are possibly going to be able to travel to a specific physical location to bid on stuff? It seems like a lot of potential value is being left on the table and that it would have been better to just go with Ebay valet or some other service that can get you the maximum possible audience.

The reason is is because that's how the auction house works. I'm OK with the mix of online/physical auction. I think enough relevant people will be at the physical auction to make it worthwhile, particularly given the stuff that will be there.

And yes, I could certainly get more money by doing individual eBay auctions for everything, but I don't want to spend the next few decades doing that. I'm not going to valet 10,000+ items just to get a few more bucks. There's something to be said for the type of convenience going the route I'm going engenders.

The reason is is because that's how the auction house works. I'm OK with the mix of online/physical auction. I think enough relevant people will be at the physical auction to make it worthwhile, particularly given the stuff that will be there.

And yes, I could certainly get more money by doing individual eBay auctions for everything, but I don't want to spend the next few decades doing that. I'm not going to valet 10,000+ items just to get a few more bucks. There's something to be said for the type of convenience going the route I'm going engenders.

While I can understand wanting to minimize the burden, there are many auction houses that will put everything online and accept bids from both live bidders and Internet bidders. You are essentially excluding not only the rest of the United States outside of New Jersey and the surrounding states, but also the rest of the world where many computer and console collectors live. I've personally never heard of this auction house and their website isn't exactly confidence inspiring. I also disagree that it's a "few bucks". You're literally leaving the value of a collection you spent decades building up to a very small group of people who can make the physical trip to a specific location while excluding not only the vast majority of people here on Atari Age, but also most of the collectors on the planet.

While I can understand wanting to minimize the burden, there are many auction houses that will put everything online and accept bids from both live bidders and Internet bidders. You are essentially excluding not only the rest of the United States outside of New Jersey and the surrounding states, but also the rest of the world where many computer and console collectors live. I've personally never heard of this auction house and their website isn't exactly confidence inspiring. I also disagree that it's a "few bucks". You're literally leaving the value of a collection you spent decades building up to a very small group of people who can make the physical trip to a specific location while excluding not only the vast majority of people here on Atari Age, but also most of the collectors on the planet.

I appreciate that, but I'm fine with how this is all going to work with the present auction house (and they obviously don't use their own Website for the online portion). This is something I've been contemplating for a number of years and never even thought possible, so it's all good. It's minimal effort on my part and the overall terms are fair. I'm also comfortable with the people who run the auction house.

While I - like anyone else - would love to make maximum $$$, that was never the primary goal here. If someone really wants something specific from my collection, I'm sure they'll find a way to at least get a proxy there. If not, that's OK too. It really is.

• Like 2

I don't have a big collection and I'm not intending to have one. I don't collect software be it disk or carts instead I've got my hand on the ToSec archives for the systems that I own and use floppy emulator to access them. You can see the system that I own presently in my signature and my end game is only missing three systems, the TI99/4A, Atari ST and the TRS80 Coco (2 or 3), after that I'm done as I'll have every system that I used in the past.

I may replace two of the system that I own though. I would like to replace the A1000 by an A500 since it was better supported and it's easier to find parts for it, and the Apple IIe Platinum which I would like to replace by a IIGS for the more advanced capabilities.

My interest in those system is coding mostly. I'm getting too old for playing games but I like programming stuff. So all in all I don't need that much space. The 8 bits machine are hooked up to the 1702 and 19" LCD on one desk, the 16bits machine will be connected to a 19" LCD as I'm about to retire the Amiga 1080 after about 30 years of service and I don't have the ST yet, on another desk. I have one PC in that room that I use for file transfer that also share the 8bit 19" LCD screen. No big game boxes or cart collection, no gadget or plush toys or promotional items, only usable systems. And the whole thing fit inside an 8x8 area of my finished basement or about half of my electronics lab which is about 14' x 8'.

And when I lose interest or get to old, I'll put them on eBay or in the marketplace here. It's an hobby not an existential need. ;)

• Like 1

I appreciate that, but I'm fine with how this is all going to work with the present auction house (and they obviously don't use their own Website for the online portion). This is something I've been contemplating for a number of years and never even thought possible, so it's all good. It's minimal effort on my part and the overall terms are fair. I'm also comfortable with the people who run the auction house.

While I - like anyone else - would love to make maximum $$$, that was never the primary goal here. If someone really wants something specific from my collection, I'm sure they'll find a way to at least get a proxy there. If not, that's OK too. It really is.

Look, it's your property and you can do with it what you will. I just don't think you should underestimate how much of a value hit you take when you limit your potential audience in that way and having been to in-person collection auctions over the years, I can tell you that it can be emotionally painful to the collector who has dedicated so much time and effort to building a collection to see resellers or people that just don't care swoop in and grab things for pennies on the dollar. I also think that as collectors, we have some obligation to pass on our collections to others who will appreciate and preserve them in a manner that is appropriate. Again, I can understand convenience, but making that the top priority and just ignoring the other factors almost seems shortsighted. I can only speak for myself, but many other collectors have trusted me with their prized possessions over the years when the time came to move on and someday if I ever decide to reduce my collection, I will make assisting other collectors the priority rather than just looking for the quickest and easiest method to get rid of things. I hope you will consider that most collectors aren't going to be able to attend the physical auction and won't be able to secure a proxy and that there may be some greater value in getting these items into the hands of people who will really appreciate them rather than just a few geographically lucky folks looking for a bargain or something to flip.

• Like 1

Look, it's your property and you can do with it what you will.

Obviously.

I just don't think you should underestimate how much of a value hit you take when you limit your potential audience in that way and having been to in-person collection auctions over the years, I can tell you that it can be emotionally painful to the collector who has dedicated so much time and effort to building a collection to see resellers or people that just don't care swoop in and grab things for pennies on the dollar.

I was always fine with "'pennies on the dollar." Again, maximizing my money from a sale has never been my primary goal. I'm fortunate to not need to have to extract every last cent from this stuff. More money is always better, but other factors around this are more important to me. And yes, there will always be scalpers and resellers in anything like this. You can't avoid them, be it here, eBay, or anywhere else.

I can only speak for myself, but many other collectors have trusted me with their prized possessions over the years when the time came to move on and someday if I ever decide to reduce my collection, I will make assisting other collectors the priority rather than just looking for the quickest and easiest method to get rid of things. I hope you will consider that most collectors aren't going to be able to attend the physical auction and won't be able to secure a proxy and that there may be some greater value in getting these items into the hands of people who will really appreciate them rather than just a few geographically lucky folks looking for a bargain or something to flip.

I've helped others and others have helped me, but I've never made any promises to any other collectors or any other collectors to me. I've been as supportive of community-related activities as I've possibly could, and that won't stop. Just because I have a prominent collection, it doesn't mean I have some higher responsibility. In an ideal world, sure, I'd love to see only the "best" people get my stuff, but, no matter what I did, that would never happen. And it's not like I'm throwing this stuff out. I'm giving it a fair chance at being snapped up by someone else, or, if not sold, donated or recycled. I know even 10 years ago if someone were doing this and I wouldn't have been able to participate in the auction, I'd be envious/frustrated/whatever too, but those are the breaks.

I understand your passion, but I'm going to make very clear here that I'm honoring my contract with the auction house. Nothing will change that. Again, this is not something I gave a trivial amount of thought to. This is the best solution for me and I just don't think there were any viable alternatives (I've been asking about possible solutions for years).

• Like 2

Emotionally painful, perhaps, if the seller has not "moved on". Otherwise it's just stuff.

As for the obligation to seek out other collectors or make it more widely available? I don't believe there is any (or very little) obligation here. It has been fulfilled by not trashing the systems in the city dump.

Some collectors may broadcast news of their items to 4 corners of the world. Others are going to stay local. It helps make that "hunt" so exciting so to speak.

---

I have many Apple II things, some of which I spent hours and days and $$$ acquiring. When I sell them I will want to do so for minimal effort & time. I may make an announcement here in the marketplace and go ebay. Done. Some are high-dollar big-ticket rarities, but as long as I come close to what I paid I'm a happy camper.

I'd even consider calling an auction house to get the material. But the volume may not justify it. As for the 1 or 2 garages filled with other scrap hardware, it may be worth more in metals than in classic computing. There's always 1-800-Got-Junk if I find myself dragging and standard channels not being effective.

Sometimes I just don't know how this material worms its way into a person's brain. Only when we get older do we recognize it has become a virtual parasite. It's, just, stuff.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So will there be a list of what will be at the physical auction made generally available by the auction house, hopefully 4-6 weeks ahead of time for those who need to travel? How long will this auction go on for? Several days?

I know that I certainly have fewer retro items than I used to have, and yet I still have lots of stuff I haven't played in years. I often think about paring it down even more; maybe auction off anything I haven't looked at in a year or more...