IGNORED

Find a remake of a game that was on the Intellivision.

Guest LiqMat

sorry LiqMat i didn't liked to question you, i just found it funny, but you explained yourself well.

we are all here because of fun, whatelse?

and i always liked that i found in this forum a forum which isn't dry as dried bones.

i'm not very good in pissing matches, usually i lose.

i guess mr_me put it in a right sense.

i was pointing on copying a idea and not cloning.

i had already a lot of fun browsing the web for inty clones erm copies, if the topic wouldn't have attracted me i wouldn't have typed a single glyph.

see, now i know exactly what you had in mind.

would it help if i say germans and swiss (and i'm both) are shitting dots?

we are famous for this.

it's also called precision.

and is that evil when i do the vice versa?

if i stumble over a game of which i thought it was a original intellivision game only to find out that it isn't, shouldn't post this?

"frog bog" is to close to "frog" to be seen as a adapted idea, it's a copy.

well, one could even say it's a plagiat, because there is no reference to the original creator or copyright holder of the game.

but also you can buy ideas and copyrights.

or depending on the financial strength of your company you won't have to care, you will win any lawsuit if the copyright holder isn't as strong as you.

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 1

Not so "long ball" at all. Motocross and Racing Destruction Set were both programmed by Rick Koenig.

but also you can buy ideas and copyrights.

or depending on the financial strength of your company you won't have to care, you will win any lawsuit if the copyright holder isn't as strong as you.

You don't have to pay for someone else's idea. Data East didn't legally owe Namco anything for their dot eating maze game idea. Neither did Exidy. Of course some went too far and had to pay. Edited by mr_me

• 4 months later...

i have some quite new "remakes" for you, i can't exactly remember where i downloaded them and most probably they are known already.

but i remember i downloaded it from a blog about vintage console and coin-op games.

"Demon Attack" in a more recent look, while i must say i didn't like it to much, the original is still better. first attempt and i managed it to the mothership, this seems to be to easy even when it gets harder soon.

post-41280-0-04757800-1521857004.jpg

DemonAttack.zip

"Bump 'n Jump" as simple 3D game, this i think isn't bad, it's fun to play and quite fast, while it doesn't seems to me as hard as the original, you have a quite good overview on the track and see very well if a gap is approaching. the road can get a little tight but i guess with a little experience you will master this game quite soon.

post-41280-0-75197200-1521856988.png

BumpNJump.zip

last but not least an invaders clone, which lurked around on my HD (i expect it's from the dev of GLBasic himself), it's not quite a remake of an intellivision game, but invaders existed in countless variations, this is one.

(placeholder)

post-41280-0-28204800-1521857020.png

Invaders.zip

overall the remakes look somewhat good, but the originals are better to play even with the blocky graphics.

what i can't link, but neither is an intellivision remake is the late "Asteroids" version branded Atari (i don't like this game to much and worst of all you can't play it without the original CD, no an image won't work).

and a Galaga release which is really fantastic to play, static, vertical, horizontal, and 3D mixed in one game, it's one of the most thrilling space shooters i've played since vendetta.

it's very well made, professional and much better as the "Asteroids" in feel graphics and sound.

i can make a clip of the gameplay because this game is worth to be played, best of all it accepts a simple CDROM image.

i'm not good in it anymore this game needs a lot of experience.

it's off topic, nonetheless a clip of the already cool intro.

Edited by Gernot

starfox is a 100 times mentioned in the longplay of return to earth, but i can't see the similarities, destination earth is action only with a few short cutscenes "no one likes to see" (i dislike cutscenes, i like to play).

some even argue that you can't save the game, save a what - a shump game?

to save the highscore yes, but not the game.

but i guess we leave the topic a bit to far with both.

me immediatly have to return to topic :)

ahhh i know what will suit

Intellivision: "AD&D Tower of Doom"

Capcom: "D&D Tower of Doom" (clearly the advanced is missing)

in fact you can't compare them except for the title and that both was licensed by TRS.

"D&D Tower of Doom" is a hack and slash game which certainly didn't deserves the "advanced" neither the D&D, it's like you would play golden axe.

it's graphically well made for a coin-op of this age, but else it's not real fun to play without to drop in coins, or at least to have a multiplayer party of four players on the same screen.

slut, bash, wock, slash slash, hack, wock.

if at all i like Asterix&Obelix in this genre, this is at least fun.

D&D Tower of "Dumb"

post-41280-0-60107100-1521867564_thumb.png

compared to ADVANCED

D&D "Tower of Mystery"

unlike tower of doom in "mystery" is everything random, everytime you play.

"don't drink out of orange bottles" for my third game, but stupid me did it again and died.

Edited by Gernot

however, tower of doom or mystery i would have loved to have when i was young.

i still like mystery much (doom i haven't played yet, having the poss. to play the predecessor or "original" unfinished or not)

besides unfinished i guess is formost the sound, "mystery" lacks of sound but it's great to play and a real challenge.

i play it on mame to save the game whenever i like, this let's me discover its secrets.

i encountered twice a crash when i played it on jzintv, but this could have been an exceptional behave.

you die often, that's true, take twice a positive potion or fill up your already full life and your'e dead, i think that's cool (and prob. for doom the same).

you have no food to heal yourself, but imo that's fine i always disliked this, why should a ham heal me? maybe a get fat but i won't be cured.

if then should eating to much only end in slower moves.

"tastes like spinach juice" or tastes of dead, who knows?

Edited by Gernot

how do you recognized this by the out of tune PAL "düdel di dü"?

but your'e right, i never would have known it's from carmina burana, but it sounded familiar.

no critics on the composition, but has it to be andré rieu? i don't like his pop-classic, i don't mind transferring classic music to modern times, what he doesn't do, any composer would have done this. but playing only "greatest hits" doesn't do them well and leaves for my choice a bad taste in the mouth.

certainly to get an idea of the music it's not bad, otherwise i listen quite often to a 100 best of classics compilation and these are all excerpts, only the most well known movements.

some compositions you can't split and i'm pretty sure he never will play such, it doesn't works for his audience.

let's note; me i don't like him :)

hmmm... if i watchn the clip i get this uncertain certain feeling that this jumpin' jack in front won't be needed by the choir and the orchestra.

but it looks like he has a big audience - well maybe thats the reason why...

however, the tune suits the game.

who was daniel bass? maybe he left away the sound in "mystery" because he thought "anyway everybody will listen to it's own while playing". if at all, music in this game would only distract me.

besides, so this is a "mystery" exclusivity?

first hit and quite a better one (less schmalz, YT knows my choice):

it makes me longing for more

Edited by Gernot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

More of a tribute than a ripoff. They do credit the 1981 Mattel copyright although Intellivision Productions owned it at the time. Snafu was of course a ripoff of Gremlin's Blockade. I like the C64 versions of the Snafu tunes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They do credit the 1981 Mattel copyright although Intellivision Productions owned it at the time.

I don't know if the page has been further updated in the past two weeks, but at the moment it really says:

Game concept roughly based on the intellivision title ”Snafu” © 1981 Mattel/Intellivision Productions, Inc.

Generally it can be hard to trace who owns the rights to an old game, an defunct company (ok, Mattel per se isn't defunct, but the Intellivision division is no longer with them). If Megastyle would offer it for sale, either digitally or physically, I'm sure they would spend more efforts trying to secure the rights but in the gray zone of freeware downloads, it can be difficult and prohibitive asking for rights so better fly under the radar and comply if anyone complains.

Some IP rights holders are more aggressive than others in this respect, often depending on whether the IP is actively in use elsewhere. I don't see a lot of PS4 VR games, merchandise or animated movies based on SNAFU so perhaps in this case the above attribution would be enough credit for Intellivision Productions.

Right, the instructions does credit IP's copyright, the titlescreen credits only Mattel's. Intellivision Productions's web site, which credits the individual programmers, artists, and composers has been up since 1995. Intellivision Productions secured the rights to these games in 1997 about the same time c64 Snafu was created. As my priest always says, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

• 4 years later...

Just wanted to add this to my old topic from years ago. Absolutely worth the download and your time.

BeamSlider (Beamrider remake)

https://www.indiedb.com/games/beamslider (two versions for download)

One of the best remakes I've come across and I somehow missed it back in 2014/2015 when it was released on IndieDB. Very well done and I love playing this version!

• Like 1