I am doing this EXACT thing :)

James

#27 Justin Payne OFFLINE  

Justin Payne

Dragonstomper

• 792 posts
  • Busy updating XEGS Podcast website to Angular2

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 2:41 PM

I got my Gotek for Xmas and soldered up the header. I'm going to make a USB a to a cable tonight and flash it but I have one question. I know there are three firmwares but I noticed a lot of interest in Flash Floppy and HxC. For the ST, Flash Floppy only seems to support .ST files where HxC supports several others. Does anyone know why Flash Floppy would be desired instead of the HxC firmware other than flashing it via USB?

#28 TonVH OFFLINE  

TonVH

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 AM

Do I understand correctly that the Gotek van hold some x-hundred floppies of each 720 KB and that you select which floppy is activated by pressing buttons until the right number arrives?

Is that a correct assumption?

Secondary questions:

-  does that mean I have to make a list containing which programs is stored on which number? Or is there a way to see on screen a list of all stored floppies?

-  how can I check whether my Atari can handle 1.44 MB floppies?

-  read somewhere that the Gotek is dramatically slow (in comparison to Ultrasatan). Is it slower than a regular discdrive?

-  are there programs to load info on the SD using a Mac?

-  I understand that HXC is alternative software for the Gotek. But what are the actual differences/advantages?

Edited by TonVH, Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:17 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users