IGNORED

OT: Nuon related question Video Issues

PeterG

Sorry for posting something OT to the Jaguar Section but I thought there might be someone here that can help me with an issue I have on my Nuon.

So from what I recall the image quality was never the best, but I tried my Nuon again today and it was awful, but I also realized something:

I have a Nuon 505 and when it is on the "Samsung" screen everything seems rather fine and the picture is pretty clear. Once it starts to loading a game though it seems as if it "switches" to some other mode and suddenly the clear picture turns a bit fuzzier and darker. Then the games starts and the image is in fuzzy mode. I noticed this for the first time today.

It doesn`t seem to make a difference which cable I am using and which setting. (as the nuon let`s you choose in a menu if your output should be s-video/RGB/ and another one that slips my mind right now.)

I have a s-video cable connected to the Nuon (unfortunatley connected to the tv via a composite adapter as it does not have s-video in)

And I have also a scart cable.

No matter which cable and which output combination, my image seems to be shitty.

Anyone with an idea aside from saying that this is how everything on nuon looks like? ;-)

Thank you.

Are you trying multiple games? Do they all look the same?

Something to keep in mind is that a bunch of NUON games look kind of fuzzy (maybe "soft" is a more proper term for it).

Not that there are many games to choose from on the Nuon :P could it be the resolution the games are programmed to run in? Have you checked if other Nuon users have this problem?

• Like 1

It's a PAL machine. The system switches to NTSC 60Hz when a game i entered (there were never PAL games released). This causes the change in image quality. Suggestion would be: set the unit to RGB output and get yourself a new scart cable. Try it with a different TV. You TV seems to have probs with NTSC over composite

• Like 1

I think the NUON is def one system that will also look better on CRT. I believe it outputs games at 480i, apparently a difficult resolution to upscale, but the internal frame buffer/native resolution is lower for games. I have a suspicion that Iron Soldier 3 is running at a lower resolution than either of the Iron Soldier games on the Jaguar. Either way, neither my XRGB Framemeister or OSSC produce a satisfying image on my 1080p OLED when using the component video output from an N501. I really wish I had a PVM to connect my NUON to, I remember T3K looking great on an old 27" Sony Wega CRT.

Edited by BeefMan
  • Like 1

Hey everyone thank you all for your answers and suggestions.

Yes all games do look the same although I was mostly thinking of T3K and maybe a round of IS3

Particulary Cd-I`s post explained the change of the image quality and it also gave me an idea.

I was not so keen to put another TV up here in my living room (although I agree that probably a CRT would be the best for the Nuon).

But the comment about my TV maybe not liking the signal gave me an idea to feed the Nuon via the scart cable through a upscaler box with an HDMI out that I once bought to try with the Jag.

And guess what, the image is better. I don`t have a clue how these boxes work and I suppose it has not so much to do with the scaling but it seems as my TV works better with whatever signal that box is outputing than with the one that comes directly from the Nuon.

So I think you helped me solve this issue. :-)

Whatever is on the screen now looks like the usual Nuon "softness" and not some ugly fuzzy image. :-)

• Like 2