IGNORED

A question about 1200XL screws...

DavidMil

On one of my 1200XL's, (the one made in Sunnyvale) all the screws are the same. On my two Taiwan-made machines, they're not; the case screws are a bit larger (diameter and length). I think factories just used what was at hand in the approximately correct size range, by and large.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, the m/b is mounted with #6x1/2 screws, and a #6x5/8 on the heatsink tab (if there is one). The case is held together with #6x5/8 screws.

Get some #6x3/4 screws for your 1050s and you're good to go.

Notice that a commercial Phillips screw will extend through the bottom of the case if you use a #6x5/8 to mount the m/b. It doesn't hurt anything, just looks 'wrong'.

Bob

• Like 1

On one of my 1200XL's, (the one made in Sunnyvale) all the screws are the same. On my two Taiwan-made machines, they're not; the case screws are a bit larger (diameter and length). I think factories just used what was at hand in the approximately correct size range, by and large.

Off the top of my head, the m/b is mounted with #6x1/2 screws, and a #6x5/8 on the heatsink tab (if there is one). The case is held together with #6x5/8 screws.

Get some #6x3/4 screws for your 1050s and you're good to go.

Notice that a commercial Phillips screw will extend through the bottom of the case if you use a #6x5/8 to mount the m/b. It doesn't hurt anything, just looks 'wrong'.

Bob

My made in USA has all the same size screws as DrVenkman says, and my Taiwan 1200XL has three different sizes as bob1200xl says.

So I guess my 1200XL's are typical. I was afraid that my Taiwan computer had been cobbled together some where in the past (before I

got it from ebay). Thanks for the feedback!

DavidMil

PS. I guess I'm like a woman and don't want anything poking out that's not supposed to, so I'll pass on the #6x3/4 screws.

DM