Progress has been steady on Mappy; there have been numerous additions in the last couple of weeks and the game is *somewhat* playable:
- cats/Goro added
- end of level detected (collect all prizes or pop all balloons)
- collision detection/scoring/end of game detection
Here is a very-beta build but most of the gameplay elements are there (I think the only thing missing is the coin that comes out if you take too long to finish a level).
- game starts automatically, press RESET to start over or SELECT to skip a level
- use joystick left/right to move Mappy. Jump on trampolines and push left/right to move to the next floor.
- press button to open doors. the closest door you are facing that is closed will be opened. Open the door into a cat to temporarily stun them.
- if you open up a glowing door, a microwave will be emitted. Any cats caught by the microwave earn bonus points. If you catch Goro (the red cat), points are doubled. Up to 10 cats can be captured at once for 200, 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000 points for (200 for 1, 6000 for 10). If you catch Goro also, the score will be X 2.
- Goro (red cat) roams freely and will 'hide' behind the prizes. Catch him while he's hiding for 1000 points.
- Collect prizes for 100, 200, 300, 400 or 500 points. Once you collect one prize, the matching prize (if still on the board) will flash. Collect this matching prize *next* for 2X points. Continue to collect prizes in pairs to increase the multiplier up to 6X. The multiplier resets if you fail to collect a pair of prizes consecutively.
- 10 points for bouncing on a trampoline (non-bonus level). Trampoline color goes from green->blue->yellow->red and resets back to green when you land on a platform. Jumping on a red trampoline will break and you will lose a life.
- on some levels, there are two bells in the corners. hit the bells to drop them on cats for 300 points each
- on later levels, there are traps in the floor (flashing floor). Move Mappy over a trap to open it; any cats that fall through will be temporarily stunned. If Mappy falls thru a trap, you will lose a life.
- every couple of levels there is a bonus level where Mappy must collect balloons in a certain amount of time. This level is currently incomplete (no timer, no score), but Mappy can pop all the balloons. The level ends when the Goro balloon is popped and he escapes. Goro will pop any balloons on his way to the top.
- if it takes too long to complete a level, a HURRY warning will be displayed and 2 more cats will enter the building
- Mappy starts with 3 lives and the game ends when all lives have been lost. Currently there are no bonus Mappys. The game will 'freeze' when the game ends; press RESET to start over.
I'm sure there are many bugs and certainly much more to do, but wanted to share the progress with everyone. Mike (ieposta) is busy working on the sounds and music and we hope to have those in the next build, plus a proper menu system.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!