1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

1088XEL JOY2PIC-STIK XEL-CF-][ UAV Sophia U1MB

14 replies to this topic

#1 Firedawg OFFLINE  

Firedawg

Moonsweeper

• 405 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:23 PM

This thread has been created for the brave who are embarking on this 1088XEL project alone.  This is a place to share your updates, questions, and issues during the course of your journey.  Some have already started as others will begin later.  Please share what you have done, and anything else that can be of value to everyone completing this board.

I have my boards from McRorie, my BOM components from Digi-Key (1 item on Back-Order), UAV Rev D from Bryan, Sophia Board (requires updating, U1MB board (Candle version), which requires an update from v1 to v2. I will be also completing several XEL-CF-][ and JOY2PIC-STIK as well.  I will provide updates on those builds too.

I will be using a Xytronic 137ESD Solder Station.  For the solder I'm using .015 diameter low residue flux core solder with 2.2% flux.  It is great to solder with especial with small boards and tight areas where a flux mess is not appreciated.

Below, I have soldered the 24 CAP 0.1UF (digi-key 399-9870-1-ND).  More to come.....

1205171631-1.jpg

Special Thanks to Michael St. Pierre (mytekcontrols) for which none of this would have been possible!!!

#2 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,250 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 4:49 PM

Good luck on your great adventure, and thanks for starting this thread  :) .

- Michael

#3 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,549 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:13 PM

Good luck - I hope your board powers up 1st try!

#4 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,250 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 6:49 PM

1088XEL Joystick Connection Cables

Just a piece of advice that I learned the hard way, be very careful on buying any pre-made 10-pin dual row header -to- DB9 cables for plugging in joysticks or paddles. There is a type of cable readily available for purchase online generally referenced as a Serial Adapter Cable. It looks right from the outside, but my experience has shown that it simply will not work. Problem is that on the DB9 end they soldered the ribbon wires so that pin-1 on the DB9 goes to pin-1 on header, and so forth with all of the numbers matching. Sounds good at first, but in practice not so good. With a cable that utilizes IDC crimp connectors on both ends an entirely different pin-out results due to the odd/even numbering of the 10-pin header.

Pin-out comparison for Serial vs proper Joystick cable

1088XEL Joystick Cable.png

Serial Adapter Cable (No Good for 1088XEL Joystick Connection)

serial_adpter_cable.jpg

Proper 1088XEL Joystick Connection Cable (notice the differences in the DB9 connector - it's a crimp style)

10-pin_header-joystick.jpg

- Michael

#5 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,802 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:37 AM

Please share what you have done, and anything else that can be of value to everyone completing this board.

Playlist covering assembly from start to finish with time-stamps so you can jump directly to the point of interest:

https://www.youtube....cx3g1gD-wF1SEov

Edited by flashjazzcat, Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:43 AM.

#6 Firedawg OFFLINE  

Firedawg

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 405 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:05 AM

Moving along slowly but surely as I have many other things requiring my time.  I have found it with my stopping and starting to keep up with my progress to use Michael's PCB Layout and BOM to highlight items that I have soldered in, plus to select my next components to solder based on the preferred sequence outlined by Michael.

PCBLayoutHiLight.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• BOMCheckOff (1).jpg

#7 Firedawg OFFLINE  

Firedawg

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 405 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:07 AM

The board completed so far with most of the Capacitors and Resistors.

WithResistors.jpg

#8 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,414 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:38 AM

Man, I can't wait to start! Still waiting on my kit from Mac - I know he is (was?) still waiting on his shipment of U1MB boards from Lotharek and is heading out of the country today for a few days, so it's great to see Firedawg's progress while I wait. Hopefully the U1MB boards will be there when he gets back and he'll start getting kits shipped out soon after. :)

#9 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

Quadrunner

• 5,619 posts
  • Lone Raider Time!

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:14 PM

Looking great... I'm sure Michael and the beta testers will be in and out of this thread if anything goes awry or anyone has issues with their builds. 

#10 Dropcheck OFFLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• 1,181 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 8:39 AM

The board completed so far with most of the Capacitors and Resistors.

attachicon.gifWithResistors.jpg

Looking good so far.....

Just remember to solder in U7 before U6.  ;)

#11 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,802 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 9:03 AM

Just remember to solder in U7 before U6.  ;)

I did it the other way around with no issues. Did you use machine sockets for both or something?

#12 Dropcheck OFFLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• 1,181 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 2:43 PM

I did it the other way around with no issues. Did you use machine sockets for both or something?

It just makes good sense, going from inside outward. 

Plus I used dual wipe sockets on both and soldered in U6 first.  When I tried to solder in the U7 socket, it didn't fit so nice.  I made it fit with dremel work, but you don't need the drama.  :)

#13 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,802 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:22 PM

Plus I used dual wipe sockets on both and soldered in U6 first.

Ah... that explains it. I guess using dual-wipe for both may cause issues no matter which goes in first. :)

#14 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,250 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 4:58 PM

Plus I used dual wipe sockets on both and soldered in U6 first.  When I tried to solder in the U7 socket, it didn't fit so nice.  I made it fit with dremel work, but you don't need the drama.  :)

The BOM calls for precision to be used for all the 40 pin sockets (including U6). Dual wipes are spec'ed for everything else, with the exception of the UAV which is also precision. If you do it this way, there should be no fit problems :) .

#15 Firedawg OFFLINE  

Firedawg

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 405 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 PM

Project Update:

Ok, moving along nice and slow as my eyes are not what they use to be.  I've completed the electrolytic capacitors, resistor network (SIP), transistors, LEDs, MosFET on this go around.  I'm waiting on a few A29040BL-70F (PLCC) to program with a TL866CS for my Ultimate1MB board from Candle.  I have my cable made for my USB Blaster to program the Sophia, but I guess that will have to wait because it will need power via the board to complete that task.  I will have my JOY2PIC-STIK PIC Programmer completed here soon to complete the PIC programming for the 1088XEL.  So, forward on.....

ResNetwkTransDio.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1088XEL, JOY2PIC-STIK, XEL-CF-][, UAV, Sophia, U1MB

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users