Surely he's got a newer version than that somewhere? But I can't seem to find it.
Might as well upload it here as a beta, since it looks like the only way to get more than two pairs of eyes on it:
Flash to "Firmware" slot. Extract the ROM out of the ATR using Altirra's disk explorer if you need to.
I'm not uploading the complete changelog or revised documentation today, but highlights include:
- Dual drive operation with XEL-CF (when using a dual CF adapter): enable "Slave drive" in the main BIOS and in the loader. This was certainly the toughest part to get working, not because slave drive operation is difficult (far from it), but the ramifications on other aspects of the PBI BIOS and especially the loader (both of which were originally designed around a single drive) were enormous. All the changes had to be made using assembler conditionals and without breaking the SIDE build, although as it turned out many 1088XEL changes were carried over to that build, which is why I still haven't released the mainline update (that needs testing too).
- Special fade-in cold power-on logo to compensate for the TK-II startup phase, which - along with TK-II's dramatically shortened power-on held reset state - avoids ugly random colours when you turn on the machine and makes it clearer when the system is ready to deal with hotkeys.
- Redesigned boot menu in the main BIOS (probably doesn't get used much, but it's there if needed)
- Many changes to the loader, including device numbers and FAT host partition IDs next to ATRs in the Logical Drives menu, and device numbers and APT partition IDs alongside partitions. Host partition IDs also appear alongside FAT partitions in the MBR partition menu.
- Disk Refresh function in the loader allows pseudo hot-swapping of CF cards (press F9 in the loader after a media change), and Shift+F8 or F9+F8 accomplishes the same thing outside of the loader (refreshes the partition tables on both cards)
- Recursive search in the Launch menu of the loader can now find characters at the start of a filename or anywhere within a filename (configure this in the Options menu).
- While there's no ATR swap button on the XEL-CF, you can swap ATRs via a new item in the loader's "Disk" menu.
There are other numerous cosmetic changes, too, such as three config profiles instead of two, profile number displayed in the status line, and self-clearing status messages. Under-the-hood changes too, which are explained in the revised technical docs which I'll upload when I publish the mainline builds. Mounting API changed slightly, PBI BIOS no longer automatically registers the first FAT on the disk (no need, since the loader handles everything now), etc, etc.
What I really want tested:
- HSIO driver, whose standard speed fallback bug is fixed. Code was optimised, so hopefully nothing else broke.
- ATR mounting. API changed and since we now allow dual CF cards, it's possible to simultaneously mount R/W ATRs not only in different FAT partitions on the same card, but different FAT partitions on different cards. You can, for instance, mount an ATR on the master and another on the slave, and copy freely between them. I'm interested to know that this works reliably in 100 per cent of situations.
- Loader should start up OK with only one card even when the slave is enabled, and even with no cards at all (subject to timeouts while it fruitlessly polls the controller). Menus should react to these situations in a seemly manner, which they appear to do. Indeed the loader is generally much better at coping with error conditions than it was before.
Anyway - let me know how you get on.