IGNORED

My Amiga 2000 is back to the basics

eightbit

Do you no longer have the 030 accelerator? Before I installed the Vampire, I had been using a SupraTurbo 28 in my A2000. Very speedy 28mhz 68000 that's extremely compatible with anything I could throw at it. Had a switch mounted to disable too, but never really needed it. If you ever felt like accelerating your Amiga again, these are excellent upgrades for the money. Haven't decided whether I'm keeping mine or not yet. :grin:

Nope, no accelerator in here. But that sounds like a respectable speed without going too crazy. If you want to part with it please let me know :) You never know, maybe I have something you would like in trade ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a seriously kind AA member who donated an A2620 to me for the cost of shipping my A2000 is right where I want it. Not ridiculously fast, but no slouch either. Just the right speed for a speedy workbench navigational experience and the ability to load any OCS/ECS WHDload image. And Frontier plays at normal speed ;) Once I reintroduce the good ol' SCSI2SD adapter that I have on order I am done.

It was a cool trip to trick out the A2000 with strange new modern hardware and see what happens and I gained some great experience, but it was just not for me. I am so glad my Amiga 2000 is normal again (to me) :)

• Like 3

That's great.

I'm just starting with mine so I won't go the accelerator route yet. But I don't say that I won't in the near future. I'll probably go with a 030 myself since they're more available on eBay at least. But it will have to wait as I don't have the funds presently.

Edited by AMenard

That's great.

I'm just starting with mine so I won't go the accelerator route yet. But I don't say that I won't in the near future. I'll probably go with a 030 myself since they're more available on eBay at least. But it will have to wait as I don't have the funds presently.

If you are just loading things from floppy from the A2000 era (or a Gotek, etc) you will not need an accelerator for the most part. But, if you are using workbench and WHDLoad you will definitely want one and will DEFINITELY want a chip memory upgrade like the MegaChip. I couldn't load a lot of stuff with the stock 1MB chipram when it came to WHDLoad. Problem is that while it is not extremely rare it is usually pricey. I paid $150 for mine.

I also hear great things about the TerribleFire accelerator (new open source board) and was almost going to pick one up but this nice A2620 came in at the cost of shipping so I passed ;)

Edited by eightbit