Photo

I'm in love with rb+ :D

16 replies to this topic

#1 F.L OFFLINE  

F.L

Chopper Commander

• 110 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 PM

yes, rb+ is really a fantastic compiler.
It is a fabulous tool to make easily a game on a console for those like me who love the basic!
since some weeks that i use it i appreciate it more and more and that's why i'm in love with it :
rb+ is fast : it compils my +6000 lines of codes with the speed of light
rb+ is sure : when i'm coding i'm always buildind and re-building and it never fails
rb+ use the real "basic" codes, its cool and very rare to code with this simply synthaxe on a game console.
rb+ is powerful : moving a 320x200 sprite very speed ? all seems possible and easy. with rb+, i often forget that the jaguar is a hardware of 90's !
rb+ is faithful : associated with the power of jaguar,all the colours of our gfx are the same that the original on the tv !
its very pleasant to code with rb+, i think that barbarian will not be the only one game i will made with it !
thanks again to ggn and all the persons that have made rb+ possible !

#2 Sporadic OFFLINE  

Sporadic

Moonsweeper

• 487 posts
  • Probably RB+ing

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 PM

I 100% agree with you :)

Looking forward to seeing what else you make.

#3 F.L OFFLINE  

F.L

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:53 AM

I forgot to say that it's great to have the translation in c in the folder buid
I had never found before a basic2c translator..
rb + can serve as a translator for someone who wants to port a basic game in C and who has trouble with his synthaxis !

#4 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 AM

forgot to say that it's great to have the translation in c in the folder buid
I had never found before a basic2c translator..
rb + can serve as a translator for someone who wants to port a basic game in C and who has trouble with his synthaxis !

There are a few Basic to C translators out there:

• BCX itself of course which rb+ is based upon. This can actually produce Win32 executables and access API stuff so you can create windows, dialog boxes etc.
  • BC9 seems to be a fork of BCX but this has taken a nosedive - I can't find any active websites about it!
  • BaCon - damn, if I knew this existed before I started rb+ I would have used it instead only because of the epic name and icon! (well, not really. It seems to be a unix bash script which would add complexity to the project, especially on Windows. Plus I have no idea how mature the project is and how hackable it is. For example I was able to extend bcx with not much difficulty because the compiler is written in basic itself!)
  • qb64 - AFAIK this is compatible with qbasic from the MSDOS days. I never used qbasic much but I remember it was pretty decent. But oh well!

So you can use those to create Windows/Linux applications. (although I don't see much point for Windows since Microsoft gives Visual Studio for free these days...)

One final note of course is: After seeing the output from BCX I don't think that it's a good C learning tool: the translator outputs slightly weird code and not that easily readable. But since it's just a stopgap for a C compiler it's pretty acceptable.

Edited by ggn, Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:02 AM.

#5 Christos ONLINE  

Christos

Stargunner

• 1,005 posts

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 AM

There are a few Basic to C translators out there:

• BCX itself of course which rb+ is based upon. This can actually produce Win32 executables and access API stuff so you can create windows, dialog boxes etc.
  • BC9 seems to be a fork of BCX but this has taken a nosedive - I can't find any active websites about it!
  • BaCon - damn, if I knew this existed before I started rb+ I would have used it instead only because of the epic name and icon! (well, not really. It seems to be a unix bash script which would add complexity to the project, especially on Windows. Plus I have no idea how mature the project is and how hackable it is. For example I was able to extend bcx with not much difficulty because the compiler is written in basic itself!)
  • qb64 - AFAIK this is compatible with qbasic from the MSDOS days. I never used qbasic much but I remember it was pretty decent. But oh well!

You forgot X11 Basic.

#6 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 AM

You forgot X11 Basic.

I honestly thought that this one had its own compiler, but I read that it actually dumps C code as well. Oh well.

As a sidenote X11 basic was considered for rb+ (since it is pretty much GFA basic in its behaviour) but after trying to build it for Windows for a few hours I got so fed up that I never looked at it ever again. (building it on my own was crucial because the language would have to be extended with raptor/jaguar commands)

Edited by ggn, Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:15 AM.

#7 F.L OFFLINE  

F.L

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 PM

Thanks for the links, i will look at them
I have done some little games with Qb64. Its a good compiler, but not a translator : its not possible to have the result in C...
The game engine of barbarian was done with qb64, its the same who runs on jaguar :D

#8 F.L OFFLINE  

F.L

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:44 PM

hello

i'm still playing with rb+ and i like this   ;-)

here is what i have done today, for the fun

(the rom is in "attached file" of the post )

you can move the sprite .

i have done the background with 24 color only

i hope you will enjoy like me to see this on a jaguar, and you will dream to see this game ported on it :thumbsup:

i dont know if it's possible, it's a big big project  :-o

enough dreaming, i go back to the barbarian codes  :grin:

Attached Files

#9 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:33 PM

Hehe rock on dude!

Maybe someone has done an open source remake/demake/whatever you could borrow code and graphics/sound from.

And, forgot to mention it so far, I'm glad you're having fun with the language :).

• F.L likes this

#10 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• 4,294 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:30 PM

Cool =) dig the background and the weird gradient goodness going on!

#11 Jeffrey_Bones OFFLINE  

Jeffrey_Bones

Dragonstomper

• 938 posts

Posted Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:54 PM

Cool =) dig the background and the weird gradient goodness going on!

:)

#12 F.L OFFLINE  

F.L

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:24 PM

here is the result in video :D

#13 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts

Posted Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:13 AM

Only a "little" more work needed now!

By the way if you (or anyone else) want to see how to scroll a large bitmap background without burning a ton of OP bandwidth please check out project imagescroller

#14 F.L OFFLINE  

F.L

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 110 posts

Posted Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 PM

hello i have updated the "suprise" rom ;)

https://www.dropbox....rprise.rom?dl=0

now i have a better background in 256 colors and i have added a nice scrolling with the help of your example "imagescroller"

it works fine, thanks ! :thumbsup:

maybe if someday i found time i could had a little platform engine to move the player :-D

#15 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• 4,294 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:43 AM

hello i have updated the "suprise" rom ;)

https://www.dropbox....rprise.rom?dl=0

now i have a better background in 256 colors and i have added a nice scrolling with the help of your example "imagescroller"

it works fine, thanks ! :thumbsup:

maybe if someday i found time i could had a little platform engine to move the player :-D

Beautiful work, I really like how much screen space you have going on there in one really long scroll. Moving the player should be simple enough really and bullets to boot! I get a Contra feel from this in the jungle..

• F.L likes this

#16 CyranoJ OFFLINE  

CyranoJ

Quadrunner

• 5,239 posts
  • RAPTOR in LOCAL

Posted Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:22 AM

You would be better off looking into the tile map examples for something like this, otherwise you might run out of cartridge ROM space before a level is completed.

#17 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,340 posts

Posted Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:17 AM

...or probably not as this is a pretty old and not that good example for newcomers (i.e. needs tinkering with rapapp.s). However if anyone wants to bring it up to speed, he/she is welcome!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users