IGNORED

TI-99/4a: Do we need to replace the elect. capacitors in them?

AMenard

Hi,

I'm just wondering if the TI-99 needs a full recap like other computer of those time. On my Atari 130XE it's an easy task with just 5 of them present on the board, but since I didn't crack open neither of my TI-99 I'm wondering how many of the are in need of preventive replacement?

If we do have to replace them, is there a list or BOM available?

Thanks.

Edited by AMenard
  • Like 2

Here's a list of capacitors just in case:

Motherboard:

5x 22uf 25v

3x 100uf 25v

1x 10uf 25v

Power Supply:

1x 4.7uf 50v

1x 470uf 12v

2x 47uf 16v

1x 1000uf 25v

1x 3300uf 35v

One thing I'd like to mention is that these may just be the values for my particular revision of the PSU and/or motherboard.

I'd also imagine that the challenge as far as recapping the TI-99 goes would be finding axial capacitors instead of radial.

• Like 4

Thanks!

I've opened my beige yesterday for something unrelated and checked on them while it was open. No signs of leakage or bulging that I could see so I guess it can wait. I'll probably do it on my second TI (aluminium) since I have a couple of things to fix in it, like a sticky switch and a loose video port.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I've opened my beige yesterday for something unrelated and checked on them while it was open. No signs of leakage or bulging that I could see so I guess it can wait. I'll probably do it on my second TI (aluminium) since I have a couple of things to fix in it, like a sticky switch and a loose video port.

Yes, I have been doing repairs on TI/Geneve boards for a while now and broken video/audio solder joints rank right up there with bad TMS9901 and TMS9918 as common repairs.