4K Short'n'Sweet game contest

384 replies to this topic

#351 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,031 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:37 PM

Here's a version that works in js99er.net. It's sensitive about the case of the filenames in the XML.

Ah, duh. Very pebkac. A request though - if JS99er had acknowledged receiving the file I would have dug deeper. I was never sure if the file was ever received - maybe a note in the log? :)

#352 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,031 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Thu Apr 5, 2018 6:39 PM

Thanks! Kind of what Willsy did with TurboForth and Jetpac :)
Can we convert this to a FinalGrom image then?

FinalGrom uses standard non-inverted cartridge images (AFAIK!). This image isn't banked at all, so it should work fine. ;)

#353 Count9929A OFFLINE  

Count9929A

Star Raider

• 58 posts

Posted Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:49 PM

attachicon.gif4K-contest-banner.jpg

Just a Page with Play-on-Line and invitation to vote on the TI99iuc website :)

Only Missing two games Vortex and 7th Pong (just waiting for an rpk file) that i not be able to run on the website version of js99er.

Thanks Ciro, 

your page is very useful! Due to my lack of experience with TI99, the procedures for downloading and executing the games are a bit intimidating and may e time consuming. Having the chance of trying them quickly and comfortably from the browser is really nice!

Then, after voting, I wll take my time to try to learn how to execute them on emulators and real TI's :-)

#354 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,366 posts

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:58 AM

Thanks Ciro, 

You're welcome and thanks for the kindly words Count9929A, my hope was just that, that all people that usually don't use emulators and do not know how to load a game image can play and try a game only by clicking on a link.
js99er.net already offer a great online emulator with most of the game already on line and playable and the idea was started from that, i always thank Rasmus for his support also for implementing his emulator on my website.

Of course if you will need help to understand how execute software on emulators i offering support to you ;) just with MESS i still not so good.

#355 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 271 posts

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:28 AM

you guys amaze me with what you were able to do in 4k. I would be curious to know how all that speech and music was crammed into pong

#356 retroclouds OFFLINE  

retroclouds

Stargunner

• 1,591 posts

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:01 PM

you guys amaze me with what you were able to do in 4k. I would be curious to know how all that speech and music was crammed into pong

No magic involved. Sound list isn't compressed. Neither is the LPC speech synth data.

Only have RLE encoded title screen patterns and tiles.  

I guess it could probably be compressed some more, but will have to do. You can check the source code here:

https://github.com/F...thpong_cart.asm

#357 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,946 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 PM

Just reviewed the current running results with my in-house statistician.  MY view of the results is spot-on with the numbers, HOWEVER, the public results are "reversed," in a sense as these show the average number ranking, not the actual weighted ranking.  Kind-of weird and I have no idea why they do that.

Below are the current weighted results in bar graph.  Once the competition is completed we can use the tabled data to determine place winners.

Attached File  Screenshot-2018-4-12 SurveyMonkey Analyze - AtariAge TI-99 Forum 4k Short'n'Sweet Game Contest.png   11.15KB   0 downloads

#358 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,499 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:51 AM

This also shows just how hard choosing a favorite from the games in this competition really is too--every one of them is a gem!

#359 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,946 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:59 AM

That snapshot is of 41 answers, which is a pretty durngood turn-out IMNSHO.  Next year we may not be able to use a free SurveyMonkey account for the 4k compo :)

#360 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,366 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:40 AM

Yes it is a nice result... and there are actually also more than 650 views   :love:  on the website article i done the 4th of april ! 

Attached File  1.png   6.97KB   0 downloads

Edited by ti99iuc, Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:42 AM.

#361 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,946 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:14 AM

QUICK REMINDER!

Voting closes Sunday morning at 6:00am EDT.  Saturday (today) is your last day to play* and vote if you have not already.

* Though you may, and are encouraged to, continue playing after voting closes :)

#362 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,031 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:00 PM

Definitely a fun little contest, and the tight race for first is well deserved!

#363 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,946 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:40 AM

2018 4k Short'n'Sweet 4k Game Compo Winners

FIRST PLACE: FORK by Asmusr

SECOND PLACE: Borzork by nanochess

THIRD PLACE: Bounce'n'Pounce by PeteE

Voting results graph

Attached File  Screenshot-2018-4-15 SurveyMonkey Analyze - AtariAge TI-99 Forum 4k Short'n'Sweet Game Contest.png   13.13KB   0 downloads

Full data and scoring available here.

#364 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,366 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:52 AM

Congratulations !!! :D

#365 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,499 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 AM

Congratulations all--I really like every one of the games in this competition.

#366 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,300 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 AM

congrats to all!!!

#367 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,679 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 AM

Thank you to OLD CS1 for running the voting, to all contestants for some great games, and to all the people who have played our games.  :)

#368 retroclouds OFFLINE  

retroclouds

Stargunner

• 1,591 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 AM

Well done! It was fun participating. For me it was the first game I finished in a long time! Im very impressed with the results of what you guys cane up with. 9 new games at once, crazy! Each of the games I played is in a league of its own. Also like that source code was shared and I am hoping it will inspire some Ti-99/4a programmers to try out assembly language.

Assembly language is not hard and it is no magic, you just have to think in small steps compared to a high level language like extended basic. For that you get insane speed and total control of the machine. Not a bad deal if you ask me. ;-)

#369 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,300 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:36 AM

Yes, for me, the challenge was creating a complete game in console BASIC in under 4K... It took a ton of trial and error, code cramming, and compressing, and (while not a hyper-fast arcade game) I accomplished my goal. It was a blast, and Im glad I participated.

The offerings by all the contributors were great fun, and I enjoyed playing all of them, and will for years to come.

#370 nanochess OFFLINE  

nanochess

Processorus Polyglotus

• 5,322 posts
  • Coding something good

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 AM

Thanks everyone and congratulations to all!

#371 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,108 posts

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 PM

That was a fun contest :) Congratulations to the winners and well done to all!!!

#372 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,679 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:26 PM

Has anyone looked into creating a cartridge image with the 9 games? I'm thinking about putting something together using Tursi's multicart menu. Two of the games, Fork and Bounce'n'Pounce, need some RAM so those could be provided as both 32K and FG99 versions. Does anyone see any problems with this?

#373 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,946 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:24 PM

A 4k compo compendium.  Excellent!

#374 retroclouds OFFLINE  

retroclouds

Stargunner

• 1,591 posts

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 PM

I think that would be great! Perhaps it could even be put up at arcadeshopper as a cartridge. Heck I would buy one.

#375 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

River Patroller

• 4,946 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 PM

I think that would be great! Perhaps it could even be put up at arcadeshopper as a cartridge. Heck I would buy one.

Word.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users