Greg2600

Looks like you have quite many hands... just a few examples to get you started:

- 128k RAM: http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=130XE&butt_details_x=x

(currently 146 records)

- 320k RAM: http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=320XE&butt_details_x=x

(currently 72 records)

- 1088k RAM: http://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=1024+k&butt_details_x=x

(currently 5 records)

And there are many more games and demos out there (not listed at Fandals database), that require 128k, 192k, 256k 320k, 576k or 1088k RAM. But yes, U1MB should run most/all of them.

Apart from that this, the U1MB has some often overlooked great little extras like having 4 different soft switchable OS versions, cartridge space can be swapped too, you can control external,devices like Stereo POKEY etc....

Have you seen what they are going for on Craigslist and Ebay these days? At least Bill will sit down with you and try to test the system before you buy it. I have no idea what the value is of the other stuff he sells, but he spent the years acquiring this stuff when most of us were kicking it to the curb, so I guess he can ask what he wants for it. At least he isn't asking what that crazy old bat in Philly wants for her collection of Atari stuff...$1500? It's all rare and collectible you know!

Not trying to start an argument, just an observation

Yes I have. And staying off topic, my fault, you are correct that he can sell whatever for any price he wants. He has got to keep the power on and the property going, I get that.

However, there are several opportunites that spring up from time to time to obtain gear at almost dirt cheap prices. Like the fellow this weekend that is going to be picking up four ST's with monitors, software etc, for $100. Sadly, that someone isn't me.

Patience is key, like scoring five 1050's for $100 a year ago.

For the record, my answer to the original poster's question is "whatever you can get your hands on that works for a good price." I would say since 800XL's are plentiful that should be your goal.. but you can also find 600XL's at times dirt cheap, and easily upgrade the RAM and toss in a video board for less than most 800XLs. A8's are rather easy to determine what to get -- unlike asking what Amiga model should one start with.

But, YMMV

If you have an 800XL and XEGS, like me, what is the best way to deal with the disks/tapes/carts that only play on the 400/800 systems?

Video61 sells some cart converter, which is okay for carts...although I seem to remember some compatibility issues. An example is Slime for light gun, which may only be 400/800 compatible?

I also have an 800XL and have been able to find fixed versions of many previously 400/800-only software in XEX format on the Homesoft site. You should be able to use these on a XL or XE machine via a SIO2SD device or on a UNO or ULTIMATE Cart.

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=0

As for Video61's "Translator Cart", you should be able to use this cartridge for loading either cart or disk based software. It is simply a version of the old "Ultra Translator" program from the 1980s that has been tweaked to run on cartridge rather than disk. I like the idea of having the program cartridge based but I have not ordered one yet. However, I do have an ATR of the original program which I will attach to this message. Hopefully you can solve some of your incompatibility problems with it. (Press the HELP key for menu/loading options. Press the BREAK key to put the software into machine language mode.)

A third choice for running some 400/800-only BINs or ROMs would be the AtariMax MaxFlash system. You can use the MaxFlash studio software to load a modified version of Atari OSb into your XL or XE before it runs a 400/800-only game. This will only work for programs in either BIN or ROM format though.

Ultrafix XL 1.3.atr

Edited by SS

• 4 weeks later...