IGNORED

FrameMeister help

alucart

My TV keeps blanking out for a second or so with this setup. Can you help please?

I'm using these:

-FrameMeister XRGB-3 Mini with latest firmware (2.03)

-Firebrand's Framemeister profiles (recently obtained)

-Atari 2600jr NTSC with composite mod

-Centipede cartridge

-Vizio 4K TV (D50u-D1)

Every few seconds, Centipede changes between the title screen and an attract mode and then back again. Whenever it switches to attract mode, my TV blacks out for a second, twice, as it changes from 1080p to 1920x1080 then back to 1080p.

Same thing happens if I try 720p (720p->1280x720->720p).

If I change SYNC_MODE from AUTO to OFF, then the problem goes away. Except now, instead of blanking out, the image visibly shifts up and down on the screen several pixels! This didn't happen when I used a cheap $30 upscaler.

I can't set SYNC_LEVEL; it's greyed out. Apparently you have to use RGB to change that?

Edited by alucart

Well, I didn't progress beyond this: set SYNC_MODE to OFF and, when Centipede transitions from the title screen to game play or vice versa, the image shifts vertically a little bit. During gameplay itself it's fine.

Other Atari games I tried (Berserk / Pacman / Tutankham) seem fine.

The Framemeister is an excellent device but it does have issues with games that change screen resolution. There are games on more modern consoles that cause similar effects. Quite often it happens in games that display a status screen or menu in a different resolution that the main game for example. (I think Castlevania:SOTN on PS1 is one example - bringing up the status screen causes a few seconds of blackout).

• Like 1

The Framemeister is an excellent device but it does have issues with games that change screen resolution. There are games on more modern consoles that cause similar effects. Quite often it happens in games that display a status screen or menu in a different resolution that the main game for example. (I think Castlevania:SOTN on PS1 is one example - bringing up the status screen causes a few seconds of blackout).

I don't think Centipede is actually changing resolution. The problem is related to syncing.

Also, it doesn't cause the Framemeister to black out for a few seconds; instead, the TV blacks out for a much shorter time.

>I think Castlevania:SOTN on PS1 is one example

I thought the resolution change problem occurs for SOTN on Saturn, not on PS1.

Yep, plenty of vid explaining this on youtube. This one talk about many upscaller and their limitations

https://youtu.be/lHoOKLWIMKU

Thanks, but I don't really want to watch a 34 minute video to see whether or not it has an answer to my question. (I'm sure it doesn't.)

Edited by alucart