IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

That's a nice yellow perch in your picture. I haven't had one of those but I have had their cousin: walleye. You can bake walleye plain and they taste like they were seasoned to perfection.

Yes. They are certainly delicious. I prefer to filet them and give them a very light cornmeal and flour dusting with a pinch of salt and a very light peppering, lay in a pan with hot soybean oil for 45 seconds to a minute.

The filets almost literally melt in your mouth.

Mmmmmmmmmm......

• Like 1

Here's the summary for Week 16, running from April 16 - 22. We logged 4622 minutes of eligible play, playing 71 games on a total of 20 systems.

Top 10:

1. Mine Storm (Vectrex) - 510

2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES/Famicom) - 439

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 330

4. Actual Reality (TRS-80 Model I/III) - 275

5. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 245

6. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 243

7. Faxanadu (NES/Famicom) - 180

8. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 172

9. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES) - 150

10. Rad Racer (NES/Famicom) - 120

10. Submarine Warfare (TRS-80 Model I/III) - 120

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Mine Storm (Vectrex) - 510

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 330

3. Actual Reality (TRS-80 Model I/III) - 275

4. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 245

5. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 243

6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 172

7. Submarine Warfare (TRS-80 Model I/III) - 120

8. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 2600) - 105

9. Pole Position (Atari 2600) - 81

10. Motor Mania (C64) - 79

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1337)

2. NES/Famicom (1124)

3. Vectrex (510)

4. TI-99/4A (420)

5. TRS-80 Model I/III (395)

6. SNES (150)

7. C64 (118)

8. PlayStation (114)

9. Atari 8-bit (91)

10. Game Boy (68)

For the first time ever, a Vectrex game tops the Top 10, as Mine Storm earns the #1 spot on two charts (and plays a few ominous bass notes along the way).

However, the Vectrex doesn't get the hat trick; instead, the Atari 2600's many minutes make the VCS the most 1337 console for this week.

• Like 7

I had one of those for years and used it as my primary C64 because the disk drive worked more often than my stand alone 1541. You can hook up an external monitor to it which is what I did most of the time.

Eventually it broke and I pretty much just let another local collector have it if he agreed to take all of my other Commodore stuff with it. I've since re-bought other Commodore hardware, but I doubt I will ever have an SX again.

• Like 2

I owned a SX-64 for a few years c:a 2008-2010 but to be honest it mostly collected dust so I sold it for roughly what I paid in the first place. It was a 110V NTSC model with a giant step-down converter, because the NTSC SX-64 is more than twice as common as the PAL SX-64 and even with overseas shipping included, it was cheaper to get a NTSC one than a PAL one. Nowadays I believe the prices have increased on both, at least if you buy it from a premium reseller so it might not be as much of a difference anymore.

• Like 3

I owned a SX-64 for a few years c:a 2008-2010 but to be honest it mostly collected dust so I sold it for roughly what I paid in the first place. It was a 110V NTSC model with a giant step-down converter, because the NTSC SX-64 is more than twice as common as the PAL SX-64 and even with overseas shipping included, it was cheaper to get a NTSC one than a PAL one. Nowadays I believe the prices have increased on both, at least if you buy it from a premium reseller so it might not be as much of a difference anymore.

Yea their not cheap but a lot of fun :)

• Like 2

Okay.

So far (Monday-Friday)

Atari 2600:

Asteroids (40 minutes)

Gorf (20 minutes)

NES:

Astyanax (10 minutes)

Baseball (20 minutes)

Faxanadu (240 minutes)

Mike Tysons Punch Out (120 minutes)

Rad Racer (45 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

Tunnels of Doom (30 minutes)

Vectrex:

Mine Storm (180 minutes)

• Like 6

Atari 2600

Asterix: 20 min

NES

Disney Adventures in the Magic Kingdom: 8 min

SNES

The Flintstones – The treasure of Sierra Mudrock

Sega Master System

Putt & Putter: 3 min

Rampart: 8 min

The Lucky Dime Caper – Donald Duck: 8 min

Sega Mega Drive

Jack Nicklaus Power Challenge: 20 min

Asterix was played for the High Score Club (as European version of Taz). The rest are games which I picked up in a very fine retro game shop in Lincoln, England, where I was visiting some family members. The prices on the Island are certainly moch more moderate than here in Germany.

• Like 5

Weekend times (Saturday and Sunday).

My kids and I took several hours to play a crap ton of games this week/weekend, concluding probably the most gaming-heavy two week span in recent memory. I got a new CRT TV for my Atari (which matches in wood grain very well) and we just had to start playing. :). A good week, but I feel like we sort of used a shotgun playing so many different games. Next week, I want to focus on a few really good games instead of blowing through the library. We have a high score competition in our house once every month or so. Next week, I think it will be Worm War I (2600) and Parsec (TI).

Please add these to the previous times.

Atari 2600:

Asteroids (30 minutes)

Berzerk (10 minutes)

Enduro (20 minutes)

Homerun (5 minutes)

Oink! (20 minutes)

Spider-Man (15 minutes)

Superman (10 minutes)

Target Fun (20 minutes)

Turmoil (25 minutes)

Vanguard (10 minutes)

Video Pinball (5 minutes)

Worm War I (15 minutes)

NES:

Afterburner (20 minutes)

Astyanax (20 minutes)

Baseball (15 minutes)

Baseball Stars (30 minutes)

Faxanadu (30 minutes)

Rad Racer (10 minutes)

R.B.I. Baseball (60 minutes)

R.B.I. Baseball 3 (20 minutes)

Tecmo Super Bowl (25 minutes)

Top Gun (30 minutes)

TI-99/4A:

Aperture (30 minutes)

Borzork (20 minutes)

Flying Shark (90 minutes)

HeroX (45 minutes)

Legends (40 minutes)

Legends 2 (20 minutes)

Markus of Marinus (45 minutes)

Parsec (10 minutes)

Strike Three Baseball (30 minutes)

Tunnels of Doom (60 minutes)

TRS-80 Model III:

Robot Attack (40 minutes)

Vectrex:

Mine Storm (90 minutes)

Spike (45 minutes)

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 6

Just above detection limit this week, as I allocated a few minutes late on Sunday evening to get any times at all to report. Given that next week will be even more busy than the past one was, I'll be glad to be above detection limit next Sunday as well.

Atari 8-bit:
Blaster - 13 min.
A prototype version of a very hectic shooter in this week's HSC.
  • Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (April 23th through 29th) on classic systems...

Intellivision:

Auto Racing - 38 min. in 5 sessions

On classic systems, I continued to play Auto Racing in order to map it out. Other than that, I programmed something for the Channel F; a system I've never programmed before, although I did write something for the Video Brain which has got the same F8 CPU. See the thread in the Programming forum...

• Like 5

ATARI 2600:

Activision Decathlon - 4 minutes

California Games - 2 minutes

Custer's Revenge - 1 minute

Quick Step - 10 minutes

Sky Jinks - 1 minute

TAZ - 32 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Desert Falcon - 265 minutes in several sessions

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: My Desert Falcon gameplay videos (Standard skill presented for 7800 HSC Season 2017-2018, Round 17)

• Like 5

Hardly anything classic for me this week...

Asteroids - 15 min (Had a Boy Scout campout this weekend. We weren't supposed to have electronic devices in camp, but I brought my Atari Portable anyway. Played a little before laying down for a somewhat restless night. I'm not a fan of this camp. Too close to civilization. Can hear planes and freeway traffic all night long.)

TurboGrafx-16

The Legendary Axe - 5 min (So I sat down and thought, I'm going to see how long I can play on just one man. I fell off a cliff and died 5 minutes in. Sigh. I'm really better at this game than that. But I told myself, "One man, then I stop.")

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 5

Not the best week for classic gaming around here, but darn was it ever a good week for a few timeless Nintendo franchises! :D

Uv4GPhK.jpg

Ineligible
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo 3DS) - 733 minutes
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Nintendo Wii) - 146 minutes
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Nintendo Wii) - 527 minutes
Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo 3DS) - 127 minutes
Star Fox Adventures (Nintendo GameCube) - 164 minutes
StreetPass Mii Plaza (Nintendo 3DS) - 8 minutes

Atari 8-Bit Computers
Centipede - 26 minutes
Pac-Man - 38 minutes
Super Breakout - 16 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,785 minutes (29 hours 45 minutes) [80 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo 3DS: 868 minutes
Nintendo Wii: 673 minutes
Nintendo GameCube: 164 minutes
Atari 8-Bit Computers: 80 minutes

The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Star Fox all made appearances in my household's gaming rotation this past week, the only things missing were some Mario and Kirby and we would have had all the classic Nintendo franchises covered! :lol: My big gaming focus this past week was finishing up my very first play through of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, which I've been playing on and off since early January, and this week I finally beat it! I also did a complete play through of the startlingly short Star Fox 64 3D, both of which you can read my thoughts on here in the Games Beaten in 2018 thread. In addition to those two games I made a good effort towards doing a complete play through of Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles on the Wii, but I've found myself a little stuck with 3 levels left so I'll have to go back and replay some previous levels to upgrade my weapons enough to make it through the final parts of the game.

As far as my wife's gaming time this past week goes, she made some good progress on her play through of Star Fox Adventures for the GameCube and was primarily responsible for the small chunk of tracker eligible gaming time we logged this week. After breaking out and setting up the Atari 400 computer (we keep it in a storage drawer when not in use, since we don't have the space in our retro gaming center to leave it hooked up all the time) we played a bit of Pac-Man together and took some time to really give Centipede a proper try too.

What we quickly discovered is that in spite of being graphically superior to the Atari 2600 version, Centipede on the Atari 8-Bit line just doesn't play all that well. The centipede moves in a really choppy fashion, the spider's sprite has no animation whatsoever, and the frame rate constantly bounces around depending on how many enemies are on the screen at any given time. The biggest problem with Centipede on the Atari 8-Bit though is that when you get up to around 80,000 points or so the spider's movements become so fast and aggressive that it seems nearly impossible to dodge it. Because of the spider factor neither of us could top 90,000 points and we conclusively agreed that the Atari 2600 version of Centipede was the much better port.

Well, I think that about covers it all for this week! I hope all of you had fun week playing games as well, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

FM Towns
Zak McCracken & Alien Mindbenders 120

I've tried to play Zak before. It is such a relic in terms of gameplay that I always get frustrated/discouraged and quit. Maybe I'll just cheat my way through this time and finally make it to the end.

I also played tons of Morrowind on XOne again.

• Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 17, running from April 23 - 29. We logged 4265 minutes of eligible play, playing 71 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Army Men 3D (PlayStation) - 509

2. HeroX (TI-99/4A) - 345

3. Stonix (Intellivision) - 280

4. Faxanadu (NES/Famicom) - 270

4. Mine Storm (Vectrex) - 270

6. Desert Falcon (Atari 7800) - 265

7. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 263

8. Zak McCracken & the Alien Mindbenders (FM Towns) - 120

8. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES/Famicom) - 120

10. Taz (Atari 2600) - 115

Pre-NES top 10:

1. HeroX (TI-99/4A) - 345

2. Stonix (Intellivision) - 280

3. Mine Storm (Vectrex) - 270

4. Desert Falcon (Atari 7800) - 265

5. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 263

6. Taz (Atari 2600) - 115

7. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 109

8. Flying Shark (TI-99/4A) - 90

8. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 90

10. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 85

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (830)

2. TI-99/4A (720)

3. NES/Famicom (703)

4. PlayStation (509)

5. Vectrex (330)

6. Intellivision (318)

7. Atari 7800 (265)

8. Genesis (168)

9. FM Towns (120)

10. C64 (105)

Three charts, three platforms: while little green men capture the main top 10, the Atari VCS emerges as the top system -- but HeroX claims the pre-NES crown.

• Like 6