IGNORED

what am i missing for general classic computing test station

ok trying to setup a general all around test station for classic computers

for my own personal enjoyment

and so we can add more services to our repair store (right now I do all consoles up to xbox360,arcade,pinball,and jukebox)

so far I have

trs-80 coco 2

ti/994a

commodore 64

famicom basic

and a apple 2 on the way as well

what computers am I missing and what are some of the must haves for add-ons

I know probably an amiga but what one is the best overall test machine

and maybe a ibm compat but what one

is a commodore 128 really needed is there any software that's 128 only that's worth testing

going to stay away from the Sinclair since its all over the place and any japan only systems (tho really want a msx for personal use lol)

what els am I forgetting

here is my current test station setup

ps thanks in advance for any help

post-63035-0-91376600-1515010160_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-04531200-1515010267_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-34815400-1515010338_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-54181100-1515010469_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72
  • Like 2

By testing, do you mean computers to load programs onto and see if those programs are working? Are you reselling software and need computers to match your selection?

I would skip the C128. If you want CP/M, look for another system that is even better suited for it, possibly one that handles many different disk formats.

On the Amiga front, I would aim for a 1200, perhaps with a Kickstart ROM switch. Second best would be a 600, in particular with one of the modern expansions though those are starting to make the 600 really useful and valuable so prices are rising fast on that one.

I don't see a single Atari computer in your lineup. Is that on purpose or did you forget to mention them? The preferred model probably is a YMMV matter, I would look for an 130XE while others swear for the 800XL and perhaps RAM upgrades if required. Of course you have the 16/32 bit ST/STE/whatever lines as well if you're so inclined.

Personally I'm biased towards the VIC-20 but it might not be relevant enough for you, in particular if you like to spread across manufacturers. I won't even bother mentioning a list of foreign import systems since those are not of your priority.

Edited by carlsson

What sort of electronic test equipment do you have? I'd suggest a DMM, LCR, and Scope.

By testing, do you mean computers to load programs onto and see if those programs are working? Are you reselling software and need computers to match your selection?

I would skip the C128. If you want CP/M, look for another system that is even better suited for it, possibly one that handles many different disk formats.

On the Amiga front, I would aim for a 1200, perhaps with a Kickstart ROM switch. Second best would be a 600, in particular with one of the modern expansions though those are starting to make the 600 really useful and valuable so prices are rising fast on that one.

I don't see a single Atari computer in your lineup. Is that on purpose or did you forget to mention them? The preferred model probably is a YMMV matter, I would look for an 130XE while others swear for the 800XL and perhaps RAM upgrades if required. Of course you have the 16/32 bit ST/STE/whatever lines as well if you're so inclined.

Personally I'm biased towards the VIC-20 but it might not be relevant enough for you, in particular if you like to spread across manufacturers. I won't even bother mentioning a list of foreign import systems since those are not of your priority.

we have all the major test equipment in our shop already meters probes oscilloscope (standard stuff we use for testing and doing repair on pins and arcade boards)

as far as what

I'm going to be adding vintage software section , as well as selling the systems , and doing repair work

so I need to be able to test the most popular classic system software , and hardware before we put it out on the floor

as well as have a way to plug up our costumer's computers , so I can do diag work (still doing research into ins and outs of the computers some same some different to arcade pcb)

I'm always getting people bringing in console's without power, controllers , av cables ect so I expect the same once we start really getting into the classic computer side of thing

this is also for my personal (fun) and a new learning opportunity for me(love learning new old tech lol)

I think so far I have most of the common stuff our shopper base is going to have interest in

but since I'm new to the classic computer scene I don't want to miss something and end up with someone bringing in a crate full of software to sell only fr me to have to turn them away because I cant test it

I reached out to some of our regulars and some of my suppliers and have some interest as well as a source for most of what I have already , and a huge local collection of over 200 computers I'm working on right now (mostly apple//)

I'm a local only shop and don't deal in web orders or online sales so I don't need every available setup just what's going to be the most common

trying to get my store put back together after our nuts holiday sales but here is some pics I snaped today to update our website (already have a small batch of classic pc stuff I'm starting to put out lol cocktail arcades make good display tables lol) and lots of empty space right now for new goodies lol

Edit

I do want a Atari pc but after browsing ebay there are so many different ones I have no idea where to start lol

I grew up with the ti ,tandy, and apple2 and had friends that had commodore stuff so I started with that

no idea on the Atari stuff , Amiga , and the ibm compat stuff (went from apple 2 straight to p4 era computing, and spent the time between getting stoned and partying lol so missed everything in that time period )

oh yea also

I'm definitely getting a vic-20 for my personal fun looks like games are super cheap for it after spending the past week looking at every ebay auction for vintage pc stuff lol

post-63035-0-81708400-1515023749_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-53903600-1515023784_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-98348900-1515023842_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-60342900-1515023874_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-25056300-1515023899_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-37497700-1515024004_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72

can i get away with a amiga 500 or 2000. not much affordable for the 600 and 1200 on the fee pay if not ill just have to wait it out

what is different in the Atari 130xe and 800xl. do they both use the same software. they seem affordable enough.

An Amiga 500 is fine, but you might want some modern upgrades eventually. Something like a Gotek / HxC to allow you to transfer disk images on USB sticks, or an ACA500 etc expansion for added RAM. The 600 and 1200 have more built-ins and may be easier to navigate in the beginning, depending if you only want to play original disks or also download stuff from Internet.

The two Atari 8-bits should be about the same. The 130XE has 128K RAM, the 800XL has 64K RAM. Some prefer the 800XL keyboard. A few hardware upgrades may be incompatible, but all regular carts, disks and expansions fit both. If you like, post a question in the Atari 8-bit computer specific part of the forum which model is best for you, describing your needs.

Edit: You don't need to post your own question, just read this current thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/273828-looking-for-a8-computer-model-recommendation/

Edited by carlsson