IGNORED

ami just luck or are they usually this easy 1541

after reading thru all the forums it seems everyone has trouble with the 1541 drives

so far out of 8 drives (one showing up with the shell broken in half)

all 1541 with 1 1541-II

all the drive that didn't work were very easy fixes

fresh lube on the carrier

and clean the head

bam working flawless

one or 2 did need the chips/connectors cleaned /reseated

(I did replace the 2 big caps on them also but only after they were working)

I'm I just getting stupid lucky or are this things the tanks they look like inside (comparing them to the Nintendo disk system drives that ive also been getting and everyone is mis calibrated and bad drive belt)

sorry for title

ugggg using a wireless kb and missing key strokes

Edited by discgolfer72

I think there are a lot more working 1541s than non-working. Out of the six or so 1541s (and 1541-IIs) I have maybe two of them do not work and will not with minor maintenance like what you have applied.

That is not to say you will not have problems picking them up second hand. There are plenty which were not well-cared for over the years getting into circulation now because hurr durr "retro."

BTW, you can edit a post within the first hour after posting and using the "full editor" you can also change the title of a thread.

I think there are a lot more working 1541s than non-working. Out of the six or so 1541s (and 1541-IIs) I have maybe two of them do not work and will not with minor maintenance like what you have applied.

That is not to say you will not have problems picking them up second hand. There are plenty which were not well-cared for over the years getting into circulation now because hurr durr "retro."

BTW, you can edit a post within the first hour after posting and using the "full editor" you can also change the title of a thread.

lol every time I order / buy something "retro" on ebay / craigs list , I always expect the worst .

they do seem well built , and totally agree that with old stuff you can always get an abused item

just been a night and day difference from the famicom disk system drives lol

those dam things can get a full cap replacement , new belt, and factory calibration , and still not read crap lol (think I have about 10 "spares " lying around that I could never get to read lol)

ps thanks for the heads up on editing the title

down here in the basement with the classic pc stuff I have a cheap wireless kb and its spotty, seems I have to be right in front of the pc for it to work right (must be all the radio interference put off by all these old computers lol)

Edited by discgolfer72