IGNORED

Altirra Versions and PC Function Key Emulation

DFELD2005

I bought my first Atari Computer in 1980. A few years later I bought two 800XL and then a 130XE (and a few 1050 drives, printers, etc.etc).

For the past 10 years or so I have been using the "Atari 800 Win" series of emulators on a few Windows computers

These past few weeks, I decided to search for newer developments in Atari emulators and I stumbled into the Altirra series.

An odd problem I am having is accessing the Atari Function Keys: (START, SELECT, OPTION) in Atirra Version 3.0.

I am using a Dell Inspiron Laptop (Win 10). My F2, F3, F4 keys (Fn locked/ toggled) do not have any effect. F5 key works as RESET.

I decided to research backwards through the many available versions of Altirra. I discovered my Atari Function key emulation problems first appears in Altirra version 2.8 and all versions after that (including 3.0). Versions 2.71 and older work fine for me.

I am wondering if anyone has a helpful suggestion how I can access the Atari Function keys in newer versions of Altirra?

Thank You.

New Member DFELD2005

I just tried Altirra 3.0, before that I had Altirra 2.81. The Input function keys F2, F3, F4 work fine for me. There is a setting under Input > Keyboard called "Enable function keys". I think it is off by default. If it's on, F2, F3, F4 lose their default mappings to start, select, option.

When I first started my "novice level" testing of Altirra 3.0, I decided to check the box for "enable function keys".

After reading your comment, I discovered that this setting prevents my PC function keys F2, F3, F4 from emulating the Atari Function Keys.

So, I decided to uncheck the "enable function keys" selection.

Now my PC F2, F3, F4 keys are able to emulate the Atari START, SELECT and OPTION keys.

Thank You for your suggestion !!